Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the creation of an animal cruelty registry?
Conservative: Yes I support it 12 24.49%
Conservative: No I do not support it 3 6.12%
Moderate: Yes I support it 16 32.65%
Moderate: No I do not support it 2 4.08%
Liberal: Yes I support it 13 26.53%
Liberal: No I do not support it 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 01:21 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,214,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
How does political demeanor make this poll more accurate? Either a person feels one way or another about the issue.
It was more for pure curiosity than anything and to see if I could get a more accurate number of how many people of each type of political makeup visit this subsection. Honestly I expected more conservatives to oppose so we'll see if that's the final result. As I sit here and type this I find myself questioning my original support for this registry because of the second half of my post.

I did vote in support ... it just seems to make common sense based on the knowledge of human psychology I got while studying at a Holiday Inn Express one weekend while using their free wi-fi combined with practical experience reading stories about kids who were cruel to animals growing up to be wife beaters among other things. It's probably about as constitutional as not allowing a felon to carry a gun is, but let's face it life constantly changes and evolves, and we have adapted the constitution to modern society, ignoring it on occasion, whether we want to admit it or not.

If people are screaming for "something" to be done about mass shootings, this particular registry is perhaps the most innovative solution I've seen so far. HOWEVER... it could be damaging psychologically if it's ever found out that a student is on the registry and that knowledge spreads around the school. It's something for those who voted in support to think about. It would be like throwing gasoline on a fire that's already starting to build... better hope those kid's parents don't have any guns laying around the house. Many people who are psychologically messed up don't want to be that way, but it's wired into their subconscious so no amount of conscious effort can control their habit sometimes. Throw in ridicule and bullying on top of it because it's found out they abused an animal and you're looking at a perfect storm, potentially... either the kid's gonna suicide or go postal with the whole school out to now get him/her... all it would take is a random act of kindness and an offer of friendship to perhaps change this individual's life but people aren't wired to give this affection to outcasts, they're programmed to go with the herd and ridicule the outcast.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-01-2018 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 01:40 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,206,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
A idea I stumbled across that some people believe would help deter mass shootings would be to create an animal cruelty offender registry. If you're caught abusing dogs, cats, or other animals after the age of perhaps 12 that causes them to be severely injured or die, you are added to a list where you might be deemed a potential risk later in life. If you are added to this registry there would be more vetting when trying to do things like purchase a firearm or other activities that would be decided at a later time.

I personally don't want to give my opinion here until later, and rather just lay the poll out there and see what everyone else thinks of the idea. I arranged the poll based on political leaning so a vote based on whether you're a conservative, moderate, or liberal will make the results more accurate.
Are the folks that do the dirty work on animals we love to eat going to get a free ride? I feel sure that cows, pigs, chickens, etc don't particularly enjoy their fate. Why just animals, we think make good pets?

Old 03-01-2018, 01:53 PM

15,932 posts, read 12,214,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Are the folks that do the dirty work on animals we love to eat going to get a free ride? I feel sure that cows, pigs, chickens, etc don't particularly enjoy their fate. Why just animals, we think make good pets?
I could never do that line of work though I admit I enjoy the fruits of their spoils. The fact is my blood sugar goes a little high from too many sugary high carb items when I was younger in my teens and 20's.. low carb items including lean meats are a staple part of my diet and I could never go vegan/vegetarian because of the missing protein but I respect your argument about the treatment of animals at slaughterhouses. I myself don't like the idea of cleaning a fish or killing and gutting an animal. I could train myself to do it if absolutely necessary but wouldn't take some strange delight out of it.

I suppose like any job it depends on whether the people doing the slaughtering are enjoying it or not... not all slaughterhouse workers are going to have psychological issues. It's probably a minority, in fact.

A girl where I used to work who was 22 at the time talked about the fun times she had as a kid beheading chickens and watching them walk around headless. I was kind of revolted, but hey when you grow up in a farm family before the advent of screens this is the stuff some of them did for fun. She didn't have psychological issues.. this is just what they did. In that regard who's to say that all people who engage in animal cruelty necessarily have psychological problems... Some of them might just be farmers. I'd imagine this particular pastime activity isn't as popular as it used to be though so I'd call this a rather unusual scenario. Fact is animals are subject to this in slaughterhouses pretty much continuously, though it's arguable if beheading is actually a painful way to die or not.. medically speaking it's probably one of the least painful ways.. you lose all sensation and pass out within 5 seconds if it's a swift cut that goes through in one pass.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-01-2018 at 02:07 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 01:59 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,096,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
That's an excellent point.

I guess the argument would be mistreatment out of necessity (food/commerce) versus sheer malice.

I do try to support companies that do what they can to make their animals more comfortable though.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:23 AM

58,630 posts, read 26,945,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Let's be honest, some humans are pests!
I'll give you check mark for that one.

I meant pets.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:45 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,824,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Not only no buy, HELL NO!

I AM against treating animals cruelly but, CANNOT stand people who treat their pest like humans.

Me either. I know someone that has a poker night with the cockroaches in his apartment. I'm like...damn.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:53 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,060,124 times
Quote:
A idea I stumbled across that some people believe would help deter mass shootings would be to create an animal cruelty offender registry. If you're caught abusing dogs, cats, or other animals after the age of perhaps 12 that causes them to be severely injured or die, you are added to a list where you might be deemed a potential risk later in life. If you are added to this registry there would be more vetting when trying to do things like purchase a firearm or other activities that would be decided at a later time.

I personally don't want to give my opinion here until later, and rather just lay the poll out there and see what everyone else thinks of the idea. I arranged the poll based on political leaning so a vote based on whether you're a conservative, moderate, or liberal will make the results more accurate.
Anyone who abuses or kills animals is dead to me. I would love to have them locked up but that aint happening sooooo.....bullet to the brain is fine by me. Sorry, I love animals more than humans so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:05 AM

23,386 posts, read 17,061,069 times
Quote:

The proposal for a 'list' linked to mass shootings or any other criminal endeavor is extremely dangerous in a free society. This is the sanctioned birth of the great slippery slope the liberal position always uses as an excuse to do nothing and avoid judgement. Most of all it creates an invalid theoretical link to a behavior that is subjectively defined.

So if you hold a hunting, trapping or fishing license you belong on that list.

If you are a rancher that raises chicken, cows pigs, sheep, you belong on that list.

The list will continue to grow and people or anyone in the history of their family, who may have 'abused' an animal according to the latest daily update to the lists criteria, will be listed. So if your grandparents ever drowned a litter of kittens in a rain barrel you get listed. Provide horse carriage rides and you are an abuser.

Law authorities can't even handle a no fly list, or comply wit a criminal database, a list of eligible /non eligible voters is still a mystery to authorities. Why not a list of drunk driving offenders that the police can watch and monitor. State police in every state have a list of gangs and gang members, a watch list, yet gang murders continue unabated. The future boston bombers were cleared after several federal investigations determined there was nothing there, despite a phone call from Russia.

Register firearms, register behaviors. Place a rigid template, that fits no one, over the general population and you create theoretical criminals with a 'list'.

Psychiatry is a more of an art than a science. Just take a peek into the parallel world of mental health and be horrified. Legal precedent limits psych eval during trials. Parole boards with psychiatric members have a history of making colossal mistakes in predicting behavior. Count the books on child rearing that made the best seller list and then their theories were found to be invalid.

Obama head of information and regulatory affairs and wife of former UN ambassador has promoted legal representation for animals. So if you scold your dog and someone sees it, get ready for your dogs lawyer to sue you.

Want to find people to watch, ask the kids in school who is most likely to offend society in a big way.

Hit a stray cat or dog while driving and be prepared to defend yourself in court as if you hit a human.

List of animal abusers is a lighted road sign we are headed down a dark dead end road where freedom fears to tread, thought control the norm and flimsy theoretical links to possible future crimes finds you guilty long before you never commit the least probable behavior in your spectrum of behaviors.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:06 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,137,012 times
Quote:
a idea i stumbled across that some people believe would help deter mass shootings would be to create an animal cruelty offender registry. If you're caught abusing dogs, cats, or other animals after the age of perhaps 12 that causes them to be severely injured or die, you are added to a list where you might be deemed a potential risk later in life. If you are added to this registry there would be more vetting when trying to do things like purchase a firearm or other activities that would be decided at a later time.

yes

Old 03-02-2018, 06:35 AM

26,964 posts, read 13,212,563 times
Fully support this, many serial killers or even mass shooters have a history of animal cruelty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies