Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2018, 01:43 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

Here is a list of plants from an AMERICAN Company, Alcoa....Aluminum Company Of America:
Alcoa -- Locations

Most Aluminum ore is mined elsewhere - Jamaica was one of the biggest and also has smelters (convert ore to metal).

With Aluminum it's all about the cost of Electricity - as well as the transport of the ore. Aluminum was originally a "semi-precious" metal and only these miracles of production and cheap energy (Boeing and other plants used electric from the Western Dams!) has made it into an everyday metal.

These smelters are also largely automated. Also, vast numbers of foreign and multi-national companies are involved in these - no "ma and pa" outfits or "100% American".

So, someone needs to explain to me why it is better for a Russian or French Company to build and open a Smelter here...if the capacity already exists and 99% of the Aluminum jobs are NOT in the Smelting or Mining? I'll await an answer.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:43 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times

Old 03-02-2018, 01:44 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Why should we over pay? That makes no sense. If american workers can produce it at a competitive price, that's great!
Yep, this whole idea basically comes down to:

Increase the price on most consumer goods for ~350 million people to allow competitive wages for <50,000 or so people in a field they cannot compete in globally without government interference. A field that would be set up for immediate catastrophic collapse as soon as that government interference is removed. That is the bottom line, and the cost benefit analysis makes 0 sense.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:44 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Eh you were blatantly and verifiably lying through your teeth earlier in the thread, at this point I don't really trust or take seriously anything you say because you have no credibility.

Because literally the only people that helps are American aluminum producers, and it hurts every single American consumer that is not employed in American aluminum production. But go ahead and pass regulations that will harm 99% of the country to help 1% of the country stay afloat in a market where they cannot be competitive without government assistance and see how it works out. A more clever person would be able to figure this out without having to be spoon fed.
really I have no credibility??...I have been working for over 40 years...I have seen the issues
harm 99%...so since you DONT WANT AMERICAN'S working, are you a Chinese government troll??

Old 03-02-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Yep, this whole idea basically comes down to:

Increase the price on most consumer goods for ~350 million people to allow competitive wages for <50,000 or so people in a field they cannot compete in globally without government interference. A field that would be set up for immediate catastrophic collapse as soon as that government interference is removed. That is the bottom line, and the cost benefit analysis makes 0 sense.
It's a recipe for economic disaster.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:47 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What was the motivation for this? Creating jobs? Most steel and aluminum factories are highly automated these days.
Canada produces 3.2 million tones of steel annually. 90% of Canadian aluminum goes to the USA. Trump's decision to impose a 10% duty on aluminum imports will result in higher cost to aluminum production, but the cost will ultimately be passed to the consumer in the USA in the form of higher costs for products such as vehicles.

The Canadian aluminum industry wants consumers south of the border to understand the implications and consequences of these decisions, and to understand the global implications of their president advocating for trade wars. One gets the impression that Trump is completely ignorant of global markets. Nationalism that excludes cooperation with others does not benefit anyone.

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
really I have no credibility...I have been working for over 40 years...I have seen the issues
harm 99%...so since you DONT WANT AMERICAS working, are you a Chinese government troll??
You were lying about the date of occurrence of the 2008 recession earlier, which is easy to verify, and I have no way to be sure that you aren't lying about anything else, and no patience to track down and verify everything an already proven blatant liar says is true. So yea, you have no credibility.

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Anyone see this? Guess it could be just a strange coincidence. There have been a lot of those lately.

Former Trump Adviser Dumped Millions in Steel Stocks Days Before the President Announced New Tariffs

A billionaire investor and former presidential adviser unloaded nearly $31.3 million in a steel-related stock company just days before President Donald Trump announced he would impose steep tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum—news that sent stock markets tumbling around the world.

Between February 12 and February 22, three of Carl Icahn's companies happened to place four sell orders amounting to $31,277,063.43, according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:49 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Why should we over pay? That makes no sense. If american workers can produce it at a competitive price, that's great!
Wow, I'm going to start watching Doris Day reruns.....

Here's the problem. A Corporation (American) has ONE job. That is to return a profit to their shareholders. If they can get someone to work for $15 an hour and lousy benefits (and many Americans will do this), they will. This is why they squash unions and make certain the government doesn't try too hard to regulate things. Money.

Yet, at those wages, the average family is going to need a LOT of "welfare and entitlements". Even a small family of 4 "costs" us all 40K plus a year in health care...plus 20K in education....plus their house, car and everything else. If the head of household is making 30 or 35K a year, it's nothing worth shouting about. It's not a living wage by any means....especially if we want to pay down the deficit or debt.

We are living in "fake" times where Trump just borrowed 1.5 Trillion MORE just to mostly reward corporations...and keep the "old car" (our entire country) barely running.

At some point we are going to have to pay the piper. And not just "we" - our children and their children and their children.

Trump should take out his anger (until he gets indicted) on balancing the budget.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:49 PM

Rise of the machines: Fear robots, not China or Mexico - Jan. 30, 2017
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies