Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:16 PM

509 posts, read 1,262,465 times

Advertisements

I have two teenagers in high school who will be able to vote in the next presidential election. I can tell ya'll that their anxiety is waaaay up because of the shooting in Florida and many of their classmates are the same. They are paying attention what adults in power are doing to prevent another tragedy. I do not know if they'll vote Democrat or not. One of my children seems to believe that her generation will bring about a third party. I don't know how things will turn out. All I know is that when they have a lock-down drill, they are reminded how vulnerable they are and that feeling of powerlessness now is going to have a big impact when they gain power as they grow into adulthood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 08:19 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
So says Jonathan Chait after reviewing the latest generational survey by Pew Research, which was released today.

New Survey: Young Staying Liberal, Conservatives Dying Off

The most recent Pew Research Survey has more detail about the generational divide. It shows that the old saw that young people would naturally grow more conservative as they age, or that their Democratic loyalties were an idiosyncratic response to Barack Obama’s unique personal appeal, has not held. Younger voters have distinctly more liberal views than older voters:

Pew survey: Party ID by Generation:

Rather than growing more conservative as they grow older, millennials as a group are becoming more liberal.

Gen Xers are basically holding steady in partisanship. In 2014, GenXers favored Democrats by 9%; at this point in 2017 they are D+10.

On Trump Job Approval by Generation, Trump is underwater by 38%; Gen Xers by -21%; Boomers by -7%; Silents by -2%; overall -20 (37% approve with 57% disapprove)

Silent Generation (age 73 to 90) (11% of adult pop; 79% n/h white)
43% Democrat/57% Republican

Boomer Generation (age 54 to 72): 29% of adult pop; 72% n/h white
48% Democrat/46% Republican
Gen X (age 38 to 53 ): 26% of adult pop; 62% n/h white
48% Democrat/43% Republican

Millennials (age 22 to 37): 28% of adult pop; 56% n/h white
59% Democrat/32% Republican

Post-Millennials (age 18-21) 5% of adult pop; 53% n/h white

Generic 2018 Party Preference by Generation:

Silents: Democrats 45%/Republicans 51%
Boomers: Democrats 48%/Republicans 45-
Gen Xers: Democrats 51%/Republicans 41%
Millennials: Democrats 62%/Republicans 29%

By generation; % agreeing that “racial discrimination is the main reason many blacks cannot get ahead”:

Silents: 28%
Boomers: 36%
GenXers: 40%
Millennials: 52%

% saying that “immigration strengthens America”:

Silents: 47%
Boomers: 56%
Gen Xers: 66%
Millennials: 79%

The Generation Gap in American Politics | Pew Research Center

Regarding the early indications of the leanings of post- millennials, a PRRI survey at the time of the 2016 election showed that among respondents aged 15 to 24 years of age, 57% favored the election of Hillary Clinton. At the same time, the annual ci election by Scholastic Magazine of school children favored Clinton over Trump by 52% to 35%. In contrast to conservative beliefs, the post-millennial generation’s political orientation is still forming, since the lion ‘s share of that generation have not yet reached their political formative years or young adulthood, but the oldest members of that generation who have reached adulthood have shown no such sharp break with millennials.

Linked is a short podcast by Bill Frey of Brookings discussing the above.

https://www.brookings.edu/podcast-ep...nguage_slug=en

This combined with the reduction of whites as a % of the population must be why there are more elected Republicans in over 100 years and Republicans control the House, Senate, Presidency, Supreme COurt and overwhelming majority of states

Old 03-01-2018, 08:24 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
This combined with the reduction of whites as a % of the population must be why there are more elected Republicans in over 100 years and Republicans control the House, Senate, Presidency, Supreme COurt and overwhelming majority of states
tick...tick...tick

Old 03-01-2018, 08:40 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Trump won due to a voting block that will 4 years older in the next election. And in 8 years time, they will be 8 years older.

Ya I know getting older sucks. Especially for Trump.....
I don't know gordo, the numbers don't quite add up as far as you suggesting the "old" people won the election for Trump. According to the link I will post below, people ages 65 and older only make up about 15% of the population as of 2016. Now, if you factor in the figures given at the beginning of this thread, which placed this group of people's political leanings as 43% Democrat/ 57% Republican, then you see that of that 15%, only around 9% would have actually been voting for Trump. That's only roughly 20% of the votes cast for Trump. Now I know the man did not win the popular vote, but he also didn't lose it by a landslide either. The split was roughly 46% Trump and 48% Hillary in the popular vote. That leaves a fairly large number of voters in other stages of life voting for Donald Trump.

Also, before you folks start celebrating the deaths of our older generation too soon, please keep in mind that our grandparents and great grandparents are living longer and longer lives. I wouldn't start celebrating just yet. And honestly, I find it rather repugnant that people actually seem to be awaiting the demise of our elderly voters.

Fact Sheet: Aging in the United States

PS. Actually, I believe the percentage of the older generations effect on the vote may be a bit lower than I had said in this post, because while the site I have cited is using 65 and up for it's percentages, the information shared in the OP is covering the older generation as 73 to 90.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:02 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I don't know gordo, the numbers don't quite add up as far as you suggesting the "old" people won the election for Trump. According to the link I will post below, people ages 65 and older only make up about 15% of the population as of 2016. Now, if you factor in the figures given at the beginning of this thread, which placed this group of people's political leanings as 43% Democrat/ 57% Republican, then you see that of that 15%, only around 9% would have actually been voting for Trump. That's only roughly 20% of the votes cast for Trump. Now I know the man did not win the popular vote, but he also didn't lose it by a landslide either. The split was roughly 46% Trump and 48% Hillary in the popular vote. That leaves a fairly large number of voters in other stages of life voting for Donald Trump.

Also, before you folks start celebrating the deaths of our older generation too soon, please keep in mind that our grandparents and great grandparents are living longer and longer lives. I wouldn't start celebrating just yet. And honestly, I find it rather repugnant that people actually seem to be awaiting the demise of our elderly voters.

Fact Sheet: Aging in the United States

PS. Actually, I believe the percentage of the older generations effect on the vote may be a bit lower than I had said in this post, because while the site I have cited is using 65 and up for it's percentages, the information shared in the OP is covering the older generation as 73 to 90.
Here’s the way the 2016 National Exit Polls calculated the vote by age:

Under age 45 (Gen Xers, Millennials and a few Post-Millennials): Clinton +14% (Clinton 53% Trump 39%)
Age 45 and older (Boomers, Silents and a few Greatest Gen): Trump +8% (Trump 52% Clinton 44%)

https://www.cnn.com/election/2016/results/exit-polls

Old 03-01-2018, 09:06 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Guess this is the Stuart smally poll. Lefty like, I’m good enough, smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:19 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
tick...tick...tick
Yep, I've heard the same for 40 years and the opposite has happened.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
I remember a moderately liberal young man reading about how all the conservatives would die off and a liberal future awaited us. That person was me 40 years ago. You know what? If the Democrats had not dropped the working man for the illegal immigrant and the welfare bum I might have considered voting for them last election.

Part of it is that the liberals keep moving left and leave former liberals behind.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:32 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Who says that all the news is bad? The Republicans are losing ground faster than ever, because of Trump. When all this turmoil has ended, it may turn out that Trump was in fact, a secret agent working for the Democrats. He's making them more popular than ever, but is that his intent or is it just his folly?

Old 03-01-2018, 09:45 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I remember a moderately liberal young man reading about how all the conservatives would die off and a liberal future awaited us. That person was me 40 years ago. You know what? If the Democrats had not dropped the working man for the illegal immigrant and the welfare bum I might have considered voting for them last election.

Part of it is that the liberals keep moving left and leave former liberals behind.
The liberal future did happen - - look at the improvements for gays, women, minorities, etc.

If the liberals kept moving left, so did the country on social issues. Where were we with gay marriage, women in the military, marijuana legalization, etc. in 1978?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies