Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 09:57 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Seizing land is hardly a "left-wing" mindset, or are we forgetting how many right-wing tyrants have done the same thing over the years? It's stupid either way, yes, but this thread is just a broad attempt to somehow link "seizing land" with "left-wing politics" with "what liberals everywhere support."

Most "liberals" do no support seizing land from people, much less race-based actions like that. And, no, paying your taxes is not the same thing as what's going on here.

So, if this thread is to condemn a stupid decision by South African leadership, than that is true - it is a horrible idea. But if it is to try to imply that "Uh, all liberals support this type of stuff - they hate your freedom!" then that is a gross distortion of the facts. There's also a race-baiting aspect to this thread that is also disappointing.
99% of tyrants are left wing

and liberals do push seizing land.... they try to use legal terms like eminent domain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 09:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I was a HS freshman in 1968. Our very first book in English was Cry the Beloved Country, a long-since forgotten tome about apartheid.

It was many years before I understood why we were fed this book over the many classics about adolescence that would have resonated far more clearly with us. SA was a far away country. We had only the most cursory knowledge of world (or any) history. Whatever we learned about SA would be all we had ever known.

In short, we were ideal for propagandizing. Fertile ground ready to seed. We were to become ANC sympathizers and the less we knew, the easier would be the task.

It mostly succeeded. The boycotts were condoned, ANC atrocities and ideology were excused, and apartheid was vanquished. A good thing and they lived happily ever after. Except they didn't.

We were unwarned of the side effects that might follow. And we didn't pay much attention to such mundanities as rape, AIDS, murder and decay. What did they have to do with the ANC? They were growing here, too.

Now, we're approaching the last chapter. One not in the book we read. Another country, its path prepared by Western intellectuals, sliding into the Marxist-Leninist abyss.

As our instructors of 50 years ago had planned.
You don't say what country you are from.

What you have said is familiar. "Uncle Tom's Cabin" had the same effect before the Civil War. So much so that Lincoln, when meeting the author for the first time, said, "So you're the little lady who started this war?" - or so the story goes. The power of the pen, I suppose. Only now, it would be the power of The Internet, or maybe Social Media.

Good post!

Old 03-03-2018, 10:04 AM

72,976 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I was a HS freshman in 1968. Our very first book in English was Cry the Beloved Country, a long-since forgotten tome about apartheid.

It was many years before I understood why we were fed this book over the many classics about adolescence that would have resonated far more clearly with us. SA was a far away country. We had only the most cursory knowledge of world (or any) history. Whatever we learned about SA would be all we had ever known.

In short, we were ideal for propagandizing. Fertile ground ready to seed. We were to become ANC sympathizers and the less we knew, the easier would be the task.

It mostly succeeded. The boycotts were condoned, ANC atrocities and ideology were excused, and apartheid was vanquished. A good thing and they lived happily ever after. Except they didn't.

We were unwarned of the side effects that might follow. And we didn't pay much attention to such mundanities as rape, AIDS, murder and decay. What did they have to do with the ANC? They were growing here, too.

Now, we're approaching the last chapter. One not in the book we read. Another country, its path prepared by Western intellectuals, sliding into the Marxist-Leninist abyss.

As our instructors of 50 years ago had planned.
In short, you want apartheid to return.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:36 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
But but the liberals taught me that only whites people are racist.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:46 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
to be fair, the whole south west belonged to Spain as did Mexico ....and to be further fairer before that it belongs to the native Americans like the Cherokee and Comaneci
and before that it was the migration across the bering sea............

Old 03-03-2018, 10:52 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
and before that it was the migration across the bering sea............
correct... so I guess you could say the first settlers were ...Russian...???

Old 03-03-2018, 10:56 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In short, you want apartheid to return.
No. That's wrong. Having or not having land grabs will not resurrect apartheid. It's gone for good. Unless it gets applied to SA's whites.

I don't want SA to go into the same hole Zimbabwee did. That's the real danger, not apartheid.

But none of this has to do with my earlier post.

What we were taught in freshman English and other subjects was intended to leave us open to Zimbabweefication, Venezuelafication: tearing down something without thinking about what it should be replaced with. Leaving the door open for Marxist regimes.

Learning something does two things. First, something is learned, i.e., whatever has been read or studied. Second, something else is not learned, i.e., what has not been taught because the other thing was.

Specifically, we were not learning liberal ideas (in HS, only the rudiments thereof). We were learning something else. Without the liberal ideas, we were defenseless to criticize or oppose the something else or some of its aspects.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:04 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You don't say what country you are from.

What you have said is familiar. "Uncle Tom's Cabin" had the same effect before the Civil War. So much so that Lincoln, when meeting the author for the first time, said, "So you're the little lady who started this war?" - or so the story goes. The power of the pen, I suppose. Only now, it would be the power of The Internet, or maybe Social Media.

Good post!
You too!

Lincoln was a grown man as were most readers of that book. Euclid and The Bible were part of his upbringing. No book was going to catch him unawares or without yardsticks.

Even though us kids had already been in school 8 years, we had no such standards. The Bible was more mythological than authoritative, even in moral teachings. Euclid was the for college kids. Whatever claim to seriousness presented itself first would have free play and Cry... was it, pretty much.

I'm American, first generation.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:06 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
i"m all for it.

Take the land back through legal means just as it was taken from the indigenous people who possessed it first

And send the Dutch and British back to their homelands

I support this 110%

Old 03-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
No, not a couple generations. The Dutch settled the area beginning 360 years ago. Most of the farmers are Boer and descend from families who have been in the region a dozen or more generations.

The comparison is ridiculous. The Japanese were in Manchuria for just 40 years.
Like I said , how many generations do you draw the line at ?

But based on what I have read , no one had proposed taking farm land from Afrikaners , and fact that land that the ANC has paid for in the past seemed to come exclusively from British South Africans .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies