Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 09:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
If Amazon is going to dictate a place's politics, that place is wise to keep Amazon out.
??????? Amazon wasn't going to dictate anything -- but it brings a bucket load of jobs that Georgia could use.

If the state govt. is going to hold private corporations hostage by discriminating against companies that they think don't uphold THEIR political ideology -- they should be voted out.

If it was the other way around. If it was Delta wanting to offer the NRA a discount and a Democratic State govt. 'punished' Delta for their choices - you could bet conservatives would be screaming about government influencing private corporations.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:12 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Not really.

Amazon has a socially progressive reputation. Bezos received the Equality Award from the Human Rights Campaign in November. Reports are that they are going to need 50,000 brainiacs at this new headquarters.

Now how are they going to convince 50,000 smart, socially progressive people into moving to Georgia? They certainly won't be able to find them there.

Atlanta's congestion and limited public transportation does not fit with Amazon's list of requirements.

Amazon is prioritizing “stable and business-friendly regulations and tax structure” in its considerations.

It is looking for incentives, tax breaks, relocation grants, ... "local government that is “eager and willing to work with the company.”

Amazon is asking cities to “demonstrate characteristics of this” in their responses. “We encourage testimonials from other large companies,”

https://qz.com/1071832/amazons-hq2-w...-headquarters/

Wonder if Delta will give a testimonial.
I don't think Georgia needs to bother. They've just demonstrated to the world where they stand on those two bolded requirements.

I wonder if they told Amazon they must toe the GOP party line and publicly support whatever the Republican party in Georgia demands of them if they want to locate in their state?

I guess they just did.

So long, Amazon and your 50,000 jobs. The rest of the states in the running thank you for taking yourself out of consideration.

The Georgia GOP really shot themselves in the foot here. Hope it was worth it to keep those five million NRA members happy.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If they are such great jobs, why does amazon have the staffing problems they do, in cities where they have distribution centers?

Generally people keep good jobs and its hard to get hired on (not many job openings).
I'm sure by now a few people have explained to you the difference between a corporations head office and a distribution center but just in case.

Head Office will be home to executives, upper management, etc.
Distribution Center -- manual labor.

Different kinds of work -- different kinds of people -- different retention numbers.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:31 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
If Amazon is going to dictate a place's politics, that place is wise to keep Amazon out.
I don't think Georgia will have to worry about companies wanting to come to their state to be micromanaged by their government.

If Delta didn't change their policy for NRA members in reaction to the overreaching GOP in Georgia, Georgia can bet Delta is then exploring other options (states) for their hub. I have no doubt that leadership of other states have been and are communicating with Delta with offers.

Last edited by jojajn; 03-03-2018 at 09:45 AM..

Old 03-03-2018, 01:31 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
In this case it wouldn't be Amazon dictating the state's politics, it would be Amazon reacting to the state's politics. That's a different thing.
No, it's not. It's exactly the same thing.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
No, it's not. It's exactly the same thing.
Dictating? How?

No more so than Boeing choosing a right to work state -- did it DICTATE to other states anything...no.....

no no no.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:42 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,926 times
You can only kick a dog so many times.

"Georgia Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle slammed Delta’s decision to punish members of the National Rifle Association following the airline’s decision to remove the discount, saying “We cannot continue to allow large companies to treat conservatives differently than other customers.”

“I will kill any tax legislation that benefits @Delta unless the company changes its position and fully reinstates its relationship with @NRA. Corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back,” he posted on social media."

https://www.hannity.com/media-room/w...unted-tickets/

Old 03-03-2018, 01:50 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
You can only kick a dog so many times.

"Georgia Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle slammed Delta’s decision to punish members of the National Rifle Association following the airline’s decision to remove the discount, saying “We cannot continue to allow large companies to treat conservatives differently than other customers.”

“I will kill any tax legislation that benefits @Delta unless the company changes its position and fully reinstates its relationship with @NRA. Corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back,” he posted on social media."

https://www.hannity.com/media-room/w...unted-tickets/
So to recap, not giving an organization a discount is now considered "an attack." So, will they go after every corporation in the state that doesn't give a discount to NRA members now? And if not, why not?

Old 03-03-2018, 02:11 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So to recap, not giving an organization a discount is now considered "an attack." So, will they go after every corporation in the state that doesn't give a discount to NRA members now? And if not, why not?
It appears that Delta severed their relationship with NRA members. Lt. Governor Casey Cagle, and possibly soon-to-be Governor, severed Georgia's tax break with Delta.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:20 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
??????? Amazon wasn't going to dictate anything -- but it brings a bucket load of jobs that Georgia could use.

If the state govt. is going to hold private corporations hostage by discriminating against companies that they think don't uphold THEIR political ideology -- they should be voted out.

If it was the other way around. If it was Delta wanting to offer the NRA a discount and a Democratic State govt. 'punished' Delta for their choices - you could bet conservatives would be screaming about government influencing private corporations.
I don't support what Georgia did. However, considering that Delta was the one threatening Georgia in 2016 over the religious freedom bil, I can safely say "Ain't karma a b****!"

BTW, there was this other guy named Weinstein that threatened Georgia's religious freedom bill too in 2016. I think I heard something about him in the news lately too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies