Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 07:28 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That’s not free speech. Hint: if people can get in trouble if it causes someone else distress, then it’s not free speech. In America, and from videos I’ve seen, also in England, people are always offended by something. They are calling speech violence, which is ridiculous.

Who determines what speech is offensive?
Yes it is free speach and you can get in to trouble in most countries by making defamatory or dlanderous comments, making comments encouraging acts of terrorism or even simply for using foul language in a public place to a police officer. This all equally applies in the US.

99% of those arrested in relation to speech in the UK are arrested for continually directing obscene language at a police officer despite usually being given numerous warnings to stop. Drubken idiot are reguarly arrested Under Section 5 of the Public Order Act for this kind of behaviour. The same is true in the US where you can be arrested through disturbing the peace statutes, which may prohibit using challenging or violence-inciting words. The Supreme Court has recognized that although you have a First Amendment right to free speech, there are certain words which are more like a punch than actual speech or ideas. These are called “fighting words.”

An example of where the UK police might intervene is if people went in to a Jewish area and called for the slaughter of all jews, or if a Muslim called for fellow Muslims to go out and find Americans and slaughter them. That would be unacceptable and the poice would intervene. The police usually intervene when it comes to threats of rape, physical harm or threats of violence against a particular person or group of people.

Equally the throwing of bannanas on to a football field and the chanting of monkey noises at black football players would not acceptable in the UK (this has happened in parts of Europe) and such people would be identified and possible charged and the football club would take action.

The law in most countries is as much about proteting the human rights of all and it's not about being offended, you have every right to offend or insult someone, it is more to do with threats of harm and violence. This isn't just speech it is a threat, indeed threats of violence constitute assault in most countries including the US, and Harassment Laws also exist in most countries including the US. Harassment, under the laws of the United States, is defined as any repeated or continuing un-consented contact that serves no useful purpose beyond creating alarm, annoyance, or emotional distress. Whilst in criminal and civil law, assault is a threat of imminent harmful or offensive contact with a person, or a threat to do so. It is distinct from battery, which refers to the actual achievement of such contact.
Similarly Intimidation (also called cowing) is intentional behavior that "would cause a person of ordinary sensibilities" to fear injury or harm. It is not necessary to prove that the behavior was so violent as to cause terror or that the victim was actually frightened.

Assault - Wikipedia

Harassment - Wikipedia

Intimidation - Wikipedia

As already mentioned much of the legislation in relation to more minor offences the UK either relates to public order and is usually foul language, however threats of violence or continued harassment will see police intervention.

Whilst most countries including the US have numerous terrorist laws that limit free speech, as well as laws relating to National Security and a raft of other matters, whilst defamation in the Civil Courts in the US is also an option.

So no country has truly free speech, indeed wasn't it the US that is one of the countries that plays the National Security card most often. There are lots of shadowy US Agencies and even vast areas such as Area 51, indeed the US probably has more of such areas than any other western country.

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-03-2018 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 07:29 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's helpful to go to sources other than the very biased source in the OP to shed light on what happened.

The speaker they were protesting was fired from Google for saying, in a public memo, that women are "more neurotic" than men, and can't handle stress, and that's why there aren't many of them in high tech.

And he was there to defend his statements.

I'd protest that too.
We don't have to sit quietly and listen to that BS. "More neurotic"??? Can't handle stress? BS.
Why not let him first speak and defend his statements before disrupting the whole event?

The huge problem with our current society today is so many not allowing someone with a differing opinion to practice the 1st amendment rights. Shouting someone down, throwing physical tantrums are not the actions of a mature and civilized adult. These disruptions are the actions of a bully.

And even though I am a woman, I do not totally disagree with that former Google employee. I hate working with other women for several reasons... they do gossip more and are catty, they flirt with men in an effort to get their way, they talk about their children ad nauseum, and then there is how they dress for work... it's got to be something really form fitting, with high heels and then they wear too much makeup. Work is not a place for dating and flirting with men. There should be no sexy going on in a professional career workplace. And enough with the shrieking and giggling too. It's just too annoying, especially the older a woman gets.

Women tend to speak differently from men too. Men speak in flat tones, being very matter of fact. Women tend to finish their talking with an up tone, as if they are questioning themselves and not sure of what they are saying. I heard a speech coach speak about this on an NPR show about 10 years ago. Women would use this speech coach (and others) in order to help them break this annoying habit and to help them get ahead in the workplace.

Anyway, I prefer to work with men over women, whether they be a fellow co-worker or manager. When I am at work, I'm all business and getting it done efficiently and in the best way possible. I don't want to talk about babies, engagement rings or chipped nail polish. And I don't want to cover for a co-worker who has a family crisis at home or needs maternity leave. And when men are suffering through a breakup, they are just quiet and non-talkative, but I can count on a female co-worker to be all emotional and teary-eyed for days, even weeks afterwards.

Yes. Men and women are very different creatures due to biology AND their upbringing.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:43 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Yes it is free speach and you can get in to trouble in most countries by making defamatory or dlanderous comments, making comments encouraging acts of terrorism or even simply for using foul language in a public place to a police officer. This all equally applies in the US.

99% of those arrested in relation to speech in the UK are arrested for continually directing obscene language at a police officer despite usually being given numerous warnings to stop. Drubken idiot are reguarly arrested Under Section 5 of the Public Order Act for this kind of behaviour.

An example of where the police might intervene is if people went in to a Jewish area and called for the slaughter of all jews, or if a Muslim called for fellow Muslims to go out and find Americans and slaughter them. That would be unacceptable and the poice would intervene. The police usually intervene when it comes to threats of rape, physical harm or threats of violence against a particular person or group of people.

Equally the throwing of bannanas on to a football field and the chanting of monkey noises at black football players would not acceptable in the UK (this has happened in parts of Europe) and such people would be identified and possible charged and the football club would take action.

The law in most countries is as much about proteting the human rights of all rather than let morons go around making violent threats and causing people to live their lives in fear.

As already mentioned much of the legislation in relation to more minor offences the UK either relates to public order and is usually foul language, however threats of violence or continued harassment will see police intervention.

Whilst most countries including the US have numerous terrorist laws that limit free speech, as well as laws relating to National Security and a raft of other matters, whilst defamation in the Civil Courts in the US is also an option.

So no country has truly free speech, indeed wasn't it the US that is one of the countries that plays the National Security card most often. There are lots of shadowy US Agencies and even vast areas such as Area 51, indeed the US probably has more of such areas than any other western country.
I am offended by this post.

As a result, how is it that you should be allowed to post it? You should be fined. If you cannot pay the fine, perhaps you should be jailed.

In any case, since I am "offended," you must not be allowed to speak until I give you permission to do so.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:54 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I am offended by this post.

As a result, how is it that you should be allowed to post it? You should be fined. If you cannot pay the fine, perhaps you should be jailed.

In any case, since I am "offended," you must not be allowed to speak until I give you permission to do so.
You can't be arrested for offending someone, you have to engage in threatening behaviour such as assault or repeated or continuing un-consented contact that serves no useful purpose beyond creating alarm, annoyance, or emotional distress which constitutes harrassment.

Assault, Harassment and Intimidation are laws the police use in the US as well as the UK, and the definitions above are from the US.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
You can't be arrested for offending someone, you have to engage in threatening behaviour such as assault or repeated or continuing un-consented contact that serves no useful purpose beyond creating alarm, annoyance, or emotional distress which constitutes harrassment.

Both Assault and Harassment are laws the police use in the US as well as the UK, and the definitions above are from the US.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:30 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Nah guy, you're just being childish.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:40 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I’m gonna guess that most liberals think they can censor only conservatives speech. Most have not thought of how in the future thier speech could also be censored.
That's a ludicrous statement.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:48 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:

99% of those arrested in relation to speech in the UK are arrested for continually directing obscene language at a police officer despite usually being given numerous warnings to stop. Drubken idiot are reguarly arrested Under Section 5 of the Public Order Act for this kind of behaviour. The same is true in the US where you can be arrested through disturbing the peace statutes, which may prohibit using challenging or violence-inciting words. The Supreme Court has recognized that although you have a First Amendment right to free speech, there are certain words which are more like a punch than actual speech or ideas. These are called “fighting words.”

An example of where the UK police might intervene is if people went in to a Jewish area and called for the slaughter of all jews, or if a Muslim called for fellow Muslims to go out and find Americans and slaughter them. That would be unacceptable and the poice would intervene. The police usually intervene when it comes to threats of rape, physical harm or threats of violence against a particular person or group of people.

The law in most countries is as much about proteting the human rights of all and it's not about being offended, you have every right to offend or insult someone, it is more to do with threats of harm and violence. This isn't just speech it is a threat, indeed threats of violence constitute assault in most countries including the US, and Harassment Laws also exist in most countries including the US. Harassment, under the laws of the United States, is defined as any repeated or continuing un-consented contact that serves no useful purpose beyond creating alarm, annoyance, or emotional distress. Whilst in criminal and civil law, assault is a threat of imminent harmful or offensive contact with a person, or a threat to do so. It is distinct from battery, which refers to the actual achievement of such contact.
Similarly Intimidation (also called cowing) is intentional behavior that "would cause a person of ordinary sensibilities" to fear injury or harm. It is not necessary to prove that the behavior was so violent as to cause terror or that the victim was actually frightened.

Assault - Wikipedia

Harassment - Wikipedia

Intimidation - Wikipedia

what do area 51 and similar sites have to do with free speech?

Old 03-03-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Nah guy, you're just being childish.
If I was being serious, you would be right. But I was just illustrating a point, as I believe BNW understood.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:56 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Do you really not understand the difference between offended and threatened? I am offended by something on this forum on a daily basis, but I have yet to read anything that made me fear for my life. It is not the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies