Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 09:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Okay, looked it up and hand gun sales thru an FFL have a 21 year old requirement, along with CPL. I thought the same for secondary sales. All that is needed is a purchase permit. Although Handguns are registered here.

Purchasing firearms[edit]

At the age of 18 or up, it is legal to buy a pistol with a purchase license from a private seller, at the age of 21, it is legal to buy a firearm from a Federally licensed (FFL) dealer. No purchase license is required to purchase a long gun (a firearm that is more than 26 inches long) in Michigan. According to state law, a long gun may be purchased by anyone aged 18 or over who is not subject to restrictions based on criminal history, mental health history, or other disqualifying factor. A person must be at least 18 years old to purchase a long gun from a federal dealer or a private seller under Michigan law.
That's what I said. It is not illegal for an 18 yr old to have a handgun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 09:57 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
For mustard yellow jeans, the fashion police should get him.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:58 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That's what I said. It is not illegal for an 18 yr old to have a handgun.

It is illegal for him to carry it, since one has to be 21 to have a CPL. And I'm willing to bet this was an unregistered handgun.

I'll be honest. I was not aware of the handgun secondary sales thing. That law makes absolutely no sense to me. To purchase new , you need to be 21 ,and have a purchase permit. To purchase preowned , you need to be 18, and have a purchase permit.
Maybe it is because handguns are registered here.
Personally, all sales , secondary or new of long guns and handguns should go thru and FFL.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 03-02-2018 at 10:13 AM..

Old 03-02-2018, 10:08 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Heard that he killed his parents! That'll teach Mom and Dad!

Old 03-02-2018, 10:13 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
They are calling it a domestic dispute event, so they evidently have a pretty good idea who this guy is. Doesn't make it any better, but at least it isn't a copy cat crime, where someone is trying to be like the idiot we had here in Florida.

This one probably used a handgun, as that seems to be the weapon of choice for black males, as they described the shooter as being. White killers seem to like to spray bullets all over the place, while black shooters target one or two individuals generally. Also, it seems that only these white killers are lunatics, like the one in Florida, whereas black shooters usually have some specific agenda, like a score to settle.
Well derp,

Since most of the US is white if the shooters weren't then I'd think we'd have a much bigger problem huh.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...hooter-s-race/

Old 03-02-2018, 10:13 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Heard that he killed his parents! That'll teach Mom and Dad!
Spring break starts tomorrow, a lot of parents on campus or on their way there and are asked to stay away until after they lift the lock down. The shooter is still on the loose. Police are not confirming that it was his parents that got shot because the next of kin have not been notified.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:19 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Spring break starts tomorrow, a lot of parents on campus or on their way there and are asked to stay away until after they lift the lock down. The shooter is still on the loose. Police are not confirming that it was his parents that got shot because the next of kin have not been notified.
If it was his parents, they'll be "hard" to notify!

Old 03-02-2018, 10:21 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well derp,

Since most of the US is white if the shooters weren't then I'd think we'd have a much bigger problem huh.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...hooter-s-race/

Would you please mind translating that into English ?

Old 03-02-2018, 10:25 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
My suggestions for these types of shootings, provided they capture the shooter is:

10 years for each Federal firearms law that is broken. I'm guessing 3 here. So this guy is already looking at 30 years. Then, whatever he is sentenced for the murder of the two individuals gets added on. This is with no parole and no plea bargains.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:33 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
If it was his parents, they'll be "hard" to notify!
The parents could have other children besides the shooter or even parents of their own, grandparents to the shooter that need to hear it before they see it on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies