Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 08:45 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Good post, and I will add a few things you didn't mention. The TANF grant for a family of three in Texas is $286 a month, that is the only 'cash benefit' available to a poor family. And Houston has the third lowest number of affordable housing for the poor in the entire US with only 18 affordable housing units per 100 families.
While Houston real estate is still relatively affordable compared to the largest, oldest cities in our country, it is not as affordable as it once was. Also, there has been a trend of pretty rapid re-gentrification going on across a significant number of the older neighborhoods in the city for over 20 years now. The fourth ward just west of downtown used to be some of the worst houses in the city. Not anymore.

That is now long gone, replaced by new, 21st century three and four story homes with tiny little yards, some high end apartment projects and all the other accompanying commercial and retail developments one would expect in a neighborhood like that. And that sort of development has continued on the south side of I-10 West all the way to the 610 loop.

I have not been to Montrose lately (South of the 4th ward), but I think it is the same thing. Spring Branch, the Heights, and the Galleria out to Westchase are all undergoing a pretty steady pattern of re-gentrification. The new apartment complexes across the city are all high end and expensive. They are not building much new, cheap housing anywhere as far as I can see. The cheap housing is the older housing. What was expensive 40 years ago is low-rent today. And so it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 08:47 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why should anyone who has managed to evade the law for years be rewarded for it and not have to face justice? How were they able to work if not by using a fake or stolen SS number or worked for cash evading taxes? Those are crimes! How are Americans to get those jobs back if illegals who have been here for five years or so not deported?
I know, you and I disagree on this matter.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:55 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It needs to be mandated at the federal level not the state level. Trump has that in his 2018 budget. It was the Democrats that refused to pass it the last time.

https://amac.us/dems-block-gop-bills...al-immigrants/
Well guess what, Trump owns the whole show now; house, senate and exec. branch os you can quit blaming democrats but guess what, he can't legislate e-verify in his budget wish list, congress has to pass it. And if they do, that's fine with me but my guess is that they won't because they can't even pass gas let alone a major piece of legislation that can't be passed through reconciliation

Old 03-03-2018, 09:14 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I know, you and I disagree on this matter.

Perhaps, but why wouldn't you address the points that I made in my post? They were very valid reasons not to allow illegal aliens to remain here.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:16 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
21.4 births per 100,000 in Houston

81 percent of children in Houston Independent School District are so poor that the federal government has to intervene and give them free and reduced lunch.

Los Angeles homeless issue is nothing compared to the third-world baby factory that the city of Houston is.

Easier to house 50,000 or so homeless people in LA. Than Houston with by far the largest per-capita rate of poor children of any top 10 city in America.
Repubinomics.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:18 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
er

And you know this how? I live in Houston. I'm fascinated at all the trolls who talk about the illegal aliens getting rich popping out 5 kids driving Cadillacs so they can live off the welfare dole in Houston when they've never even been here. Here's some real facts for you. The federal poverty line for a family of three is $1702/month. You know what $1702/month buys? Here in Houston, a three bedroom apartment by itself runs around $1000/month. Then you have to pay for food, transportation, gas, insurance, clothing, and everything else.

Since 1996, TANF benefits have fallen an average of 20% in most states, including Texas. So stop. Just stop already. Poor families are not getting rich, especially not welfare families. In fact, most families who are impoverished STILL earn too much money to afford welfare benefits. Their incomes have to be way BELOW the poverty line.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/family...in-most-states
You can't be serious that Houston doesn't have a large population of illegal aliens. I never said anything about them or anyone else getting rich off the taxpayer. Spin, much? They certainly are at least subsidizing their income with taxpayer monies though.

https://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2...llect-welfare/

Old 03-03-2018, 11:33 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Welcome to the U S of A. Poor people live in cities in far greater numbers than the suburbs.
Or rural areas. All true. The highest poverty rate is in cities.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:42 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Thread summary.

Dadgum city folk.

Stay of my lawn.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:45 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yep. Cut funding to Planned Parenthood, close down women's health clinics, limit sex ed to abstinence only, and thump, thump, thump that Bible.
That's not it. There are literally tens of thousands of Public Health Department Family Planning Clinics located throughout the US. Meanwhile, there are only 700 or so Planned Parenthood clinics. Guess which is redundant and unnecessary?

That said, as access to family planning info and birth control clearly ISN'T the problem, the REAL reason so many young and likely unwed women DON'T use contraception might surprise you...

Fully 1/3 of the respondents in this study believe that the government pushes free birth control as a means of deliberately limiting the size of minority populations. They view the government pushing birth control on them as racism:

Although Most Unmarried Young Adults Want to Avoid Pregnancy, Many Don't Use Contraception

Interestingly, note that it's exactly those same minorities who are disproportionately poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies