Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:47 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,119,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Here's her rationale and criteria for the positioning of the organizations. Argue with it or don't, she apparently has done the work and come to a conclusion.

Simply saying "Her stuff sucks" or "This is BS" or "alternative universe" isn't going to cut it. That's called "personal opinion", which is what she is trying to avoid and we're trying to avoid when we choose a news source. We watch/read what we do to get the facts and get smarter rather than simply choose a source that reinforces what we already believe, right...?

The Chart, Version 3.0: What, Exactly, Are We Reading? - All Generalizations are False
You need help.

I cannot emphasize this enough. This is not an issue of an "opinion" or a "study." We are talking about the fact that CNN has been caught actively interrfering in a presidential debate and admitting that their product is 90% bull**** in order to get ratings.

It is largely FOX news that reported on these things.

Stop trying to pretend that some foolishness from a talking head somehow mitigates that. FOX tells the truth, and that is the truth. The rest are criminals that somehow have you convinced of a faux Russian collusion story to divert you from what is real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 11:48 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I have found that chart to be basically true (basically because I do not have experience with some of them), all the stuff they have listed as trash, I don't listen/watch/read. Those organizations I have chosen are in the center top.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-03-2018, 11:52 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
FOX tells the truth, and that is the truth. The rest are criminals that somehow have you convinced of a faux Russian collusion story to divert you from what is real.
I WOULD say that you should pay attention to the Mueller investigation but I realize that in your world they are actually investigating Hillary, Obama and Susan Rice.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:58 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
...or you may end up with no news at all and nothing but opinion to show for your trouble. This actually looks like a pretty fair assessment of most of the common sources we see quoted here every day.

Alex, Jones, BTW, disagrees with this synposis. Anybody else...?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...share_facebook

A world without facts = EXACTLY what the right-wing wants.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:16 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Fox News is right-wing propaganda. I think we all know that. However, Fox News brings on plenty of liberals and Trump-haters for comment on their programs. So, there is some sense of "balance" in their coverage.

That is very different from CNN, ABC, MSNBC and CBS. Those networks rarely have right-wing commentators. They may bring on the token rino once in a while, but that's about it. So, it's pure liberal propaganda 24/7.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:39 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Quote:
...or you may end up with no news at all and nothing but opinion to show for your trouble. This actually looks like a pretty fair assessment of most of the common sources we see quoted here every day.

Alex, Jones, BTW, disagrees with this synposis. Anybody else...?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...share_facebook
>>> so what did Alex Jones or CNN or MSNBC do this time to create the backlash?

Old 03-03-2018, 01:43 PM

37,177 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
>>> so what did Alex Jones or CNN or MSNBC do this time to create the backlash?
Read the story if you want to find out about the Alex Jones reference.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:08 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Interesting, cuebald. Thank you for posting it.

I'm not trying to put a gold star on myself, but I try to regularly read and/or watch news sources from all over that little chart. I also spend a lot of time thinking about what I read, and comparing what different sources are saying about various topics.

The interesting thing is if you start reading and watching sources from all over the map, and thinking about them on your own, you do start to quickly see where the biases are obvious.

There is "fake news" on both sides of that chart. Remember too: a lot of news sources play a certain tune to keep a subset of readers coming back to them. And, it really does amaze me how many times news sources quote other news sources who lean towards the same side. It reminds me a lot of that "telephone" game we used to play as kids.

So if all you're doing is getting your info ONE side, and you're swallowing what they're telling you to believe hook, line and sinker, you're going to miss a lot of what is really going on.

But, in general, when I see stories that are being reported by both sides - even if they have different spins - I know I'm getting a little closer to the factual truth about what is happening.

Our job as media consumers AND voters is to not get too attached to news from either side of that map, or to only get our news and opinions from one source.

Read widely from both sides of the media map and then do your own thinking.

That's the ONLY way to avoid falling into the "Fake news" trap.

If I thought people would actually contribute to it without falling into the usual name calling, I'd start a thread asking which news sources people find most valuable and why so that we could develop a little list of interesting sources to share with each other. But, as I said, that probably wouldn't get much farther than this thread will.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-03-2018 at 02:22 PM..

Old 03-03-2018, 02:30 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Whenever someone on camera is called a commentator, and when there are more than 2 of them at the same table, it's opinion, not news.

Most news channels make a pretty clear distinction between opinion and news, but not all, and not all the time. Opinion is not news, and news is not opinion. it's up tho the viewer to make the distinction.

It is not hard to verify. If anything seems to be more emotion than fact, take it as opinion, especially if it is something that triggers you to instant agreement. Be skeptical with others and yourself. Doing so makes you harder to deceive.

I have to warm some of my liberal buddies about this. Everyone is prone to the same manipulation of their emotions. In cyber war, emotion is weaponized. it becomes the gun that shoots the person holding it.
I'm out of reps for you today, banjomike, but this is an excellent post. Especially the last point: it is so true that we are all prone to being manipulated by our emotions.

I've done this experiment a few times: I only read and watch media that slants to one side for two weeks. Almost invariably, I start to find myself sliding towards that side. Then I'll flip over to the other side for two weeks. The first few days, I'll be calling everything I read garbage because it conflicts with what I've been reading for the last two weeks, but then gradually, sure enough, I'll start sliding to the other side.

The only thing that works for me is to force myself to eat a steady diet of news stories from multiple sources on both sides.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:36 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Fox News is right-wing propaganda. I think we all know that. However, Fox News brings on plenty of liberals and Trump-haters for comment on their programs. So, there is some sense of "balance" in their coverage.

That is very different from CNN, ABC, MSNBC and CBS. Those networks rarely have right-wing commentators. They may bring on the token rino once in a while, but that's about it. So, it's pure liberal propaganda 24/7.
At 6:30 DAivd Muir does the news for ABC and doesn't bring on liberal or conservative commentators.

Fox News, MSNBC & CNN all are entertainment networks using news as the source.

Fox is mainly conservative with the token liberal.
CNN mainly liberal with the token conservative
MNBC mainly liberal with the token consrevative.

One station is not any better -- and YOUR own bias doesn't let you see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies