Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
The REAL ID Act gives the congressional powers away to the Department of Homeland Security (the name alone reminds one of Nazi Germany).

Is it not my right to be secure in my person and papers, certain rights not specifically enumerated "shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained" by me? To have a drivers license certifies that you are able to operate a motor vehicle; it should not be a warehouse for maintaining a government database that contains "biometric" data about me.

I really don't care what "most countries" do, I care about what my country does and what opressive laws it burdens its citizens with. I had to fly for business last week; all over the airport approaching security were signs "Present your Government Issued ID", "Do not make jokes about bombs". I was expecting the TSA officer to say "Aufmerksamkeit, Papiere gefällt!"
Kudos to your German. While I empathize with your post, the facts are that the US is headed towards some type of National ID card. Whether this eventuality is prompted by the threat of terrorism, illegal immigration or just plain Big Brother oversight, the future is inescapable, The National ID card will become a reality within the next 5 to 10 years. Libertarians can squawk all they want, the National ID card is an ordained future certainty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:02 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
We have a national "ID card". It's called a passport, which is clearly under the constitutional jurisdiction of the federal government.

Leave the driver's licenses up to the states, however.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
We have a national "ID card". It's called a passport, which is clearly under the constitutional jurisdiction of the federal government.

Leave the driver's licenses up to the states, however.
IMO, a Passport is not considered to be a National ID card. It is the documentation means to travel from one country to another. A Passport has no force of law within the US, only a National ID card would have the force of law within the US.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:08 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,877 times
After the REAL ID Act was passed the DHS wanted to mandate that RFID chips be included in the drivers license; however it was still undergoing testing. They determined that the technology isn't there yet and decided not to mandate this.

From the DHS Web site:
Quote:
Will REAL ID driver’s licenses include RFID cards?

The NPRM does not specify the use of RFID cards as a minimum standard. States may independently choose to implement an RFID solution, in addition to the standard 2-D barcode, to meet their constituent’s needs.
I'm confused as to what MY needs are for the RFID on my license.

So which states have decided not to comply and what will happen to them? Cut-off from Federal funds...or their residents will not be able to fly?

Old 03-25-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Kudos to your German. While I empathize with your post, the facts are that the US is headed towards some type of National ID card. Whether this eventuality is prompted by the threat of terrorism, illegal immigration or just plain Big Brother oversight, the future is inescapable, The National ID card will become a reality within the next 5 to 10 years. Libertarians can squawk all they want, the National ID card is an ordained future certainty.
Babelfish my friend...

Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Babelfish my friend...
Babelfish (Altavista) or not, it still looks good.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:12 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
With some governors saying that they're not going to fall in line, I don't know how it will play out. I'm pleasantly surprised that some governors today have a backbone and are willing to stand up for their state's rights.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:43 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
If I'm reading things right.. the Feds want everyone to have IDs with the SmartChip in them? I see no problem with that. Aside from it costing money and that they take longer to create - what is the big problem?

I guess my opinion is a little skewered on the matter. I already have to use a Fed-issued SmartID to get to work, get in the building, login to my computer... and is linked with my biometric and statistical data.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
If I'm reading things right.. the Feds want everyone to have IDs with the SmartChip in them? I see no problem with that. Aside from it costing money and that they take longer to create - what is the big problem?

I guess my opinion is a little skewered on the matter. I already have to use a Fed-issued SmartID to get to work, get in the building, login to my computer... and is linked with my biometric and statistical data.
However a National ID card is configured, it will incorporate an "RFID chip" that will contain the biometric information (finger prints, retinal scan, ???) of the individual holding the ID card. The technology is already available, it's just a matter of time, refinement and a national support system to implement the ID card for use in the general population.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 PM

I guess I just don't like the idea of being tracked and the government having all of this identification information about me. I enjoy the daydream that I could somehow slip into obscurity and never be found...if I didn't want to be. So if I meet the qualifications to drive my vehicle but I do not want to participate in this REAL ID scheme I would essentially be barred from car insurance, purchasing a new vehicle, or driving...not to mention flying...opening a bank account...etc.

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist: I've read articles about the possibilities of RFID. That money will not be used, that all accounts will work through your ID card (and RFID tag)...or that when you withdraw money an RFID in the paper will trace that dollar to you.

The passports already have RFID technology that can be read when the passport is opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies