Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:40 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,574,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Governors and state legislatures across the country are balking at a new federal requirement that they begin issuing more secure driver licenses and identification for their citizens, which require proof that they are legal residents of the country. If there is no resolution come May, people who live in states that are not in compliance may find that their state-issued driver licenses and ID cards are of no use when they need to board an airplane or enter a federal building. "We are not bluffing on this date of May 11," says Homeland Security Department spokeswoman Amy Kudwa.
The States' ID War with Washington - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 12:44 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,661,968 times
Second Revolution anyone. They can stick those Real id's and national id cards up their @@@
Between the Gas Prices and Income tax, Eroding the Constitution, Illegal Immigrant problem and the National ID card I think it's time for the Federal Government's role to be revised.

Last edited by LibertyandJusticeforAll; 03-24-2008 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 03-24-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Second Revolution anyone. They can stick those Real id's and national id cards up their @@@
Between the Gas Prices and Income tax, Eroding the Constitution, Illegal Immigrant problem and the National ID card I think it's time for the Federal Government's role to be revised.
Ahh, do you know Hal Turner from North Bergen, NJ.

The Hal Turner Show

Old 03-24-2008, 03:54 PM

152 posts, read 455,612 times
I really thought that was a horrible article. The main reason I am against it is not the cost of doing so, which was very mush covered in that news story but the legality of the government to impose such on us, which was very much ignored in there.
I was very pleased when I heard my state told the federal government where to put those ID cards.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedzul View Post
I really thought that was a horrible article. The main reason I am against it is not the cost of doing so, which was very mush covered in that news story but the legality of the government to impose such on us, which was very much ignored in there.
I was very pleased when I heard my state told the federal government where to put those ID cards.
Most countries have some form of a national ID card. I would much prefer that our ID card be a driver's license rather than some other form of onerous identification. A national ID card is as inevitable as the rotation of the seasons, I would opt for the least imposing type of ID, which IMO, is a state issued driver's license in deference to a federally issued national ID card.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:14 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,695,891 times
I wrote the Governor of MT to personally thank him for standing up for my rights, even though I am not a citizen. His patriotic actions may influence change in more governors and state legislatures to realize that they hold the true power in this republic under the 9th and 10th Amendments. The power is theirs to reclaim.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:33 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,345,951 times
As to the constitutionality of REAL ID, see Article III, Section 1 of the US Constitution:

Quote:
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.
State issued driver's licenses fall under the category of "public acts", which is why different driver's licenses are not required for every state we drive through. As the US Constitution clearly states, "Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof." Which means REAL ID is both legal and constitutional and the states who defy REAL ID are in fact violating the US Constitution.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:39 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,695,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
As to the constitutionality of REAL ID, see Article III, Section 1 of the US Constitution:

State issued driver's licenses fall under the category of "public acts", which is why different driver's licenses are not required for every state we drive through. As the US Constitution clearly states, "Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof." Which means REAL ID is both legal and constitutional and the states who defy REAL ID are in fact violating the US Constitution.
From H.R. 418:

SEC. 102. WAIVER OF LAWS NECESSARY FOR IMPROVEMENT OF BARRIERS AT BORDERS.

Section 102(c) of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (8 U.S.C. 1103 note) is amended to read as follows:

`(c) Waiver-

`(1) IN GENERAL- Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary of Homeland Security shall have the authority to waive, and shall waive, all laws such Secretary, in such Secretary's sole discretion, determines necessary to ensure expeditious construction of the barriers and roads under this section.

`(2) NO JUDICIAL REVIEW- Notwithstanding any other provision of law (statutory or nonstatutory), no court, administrative agency, or other entity shall have jurisdiction--

`(A) to hear any cause or claim arising from any action undertaken, or any decision made, by the Secretary of Homeland Security pursuant to paragraph (1); or

`(B) to order compensatory, declaratory, injunctive, equitable, or any other relief for damage alleged to arise from any such action or decision.'.

Quite interesting, eh?

But back to full faith and acts... this section specifies that each state must recognize acts of other states, like you said. But the second section of the clause states that Congress may make laws on how those acts or records are interpreted or used. It does NOT grant the Congress the power to define those acts or how those records must be created or stored.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:06 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,106,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Most countries have some form of a national ID card. I would much prefer that our ID card be a driver's license rather than some other form of onerous identification. A national ID card is as inevitable as the rotation of the seasons, I would opt for the least imposing type of ID, which IMO, is a state issued driver's license in deference to a federally issued national ID card.
The REAL ID Act gives the congressional powers away to the Department of Homeland Security (the name alone reminds one of Nazi Germany).

Is it not my right to be secure in my person and papers, certain rights not specifically enumerated "shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained" by me? To have a drivers license certifies that you are able to operate a motor vehicle; it should not be a warehouse for maintaining a government database that contains "biometric" data about me.

I really don't care what "most countries" do, I care about what my country does and what opressive laws it burdens its citizens with. I had to fly for business last week; all over the airport approaching security were signs "Present your Government Issued ID", "Do not make jokes about bombs". I was expecting the TSA officer to say "Aufmerksamkeit, Papiere gefällt!"
Attached Thumbnails
The States' ID War with Washington-00.jpg  

Old 03-25-2008, 09:57 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,544,333 times
I like the idea that all the states have to recognize each other's driving licenses and can only hope that they will have to recognize Concealed Carry Permits. Now wouldn’t that annoy the gun grabbers in NYC and Washington, DC.

The logical conclusion of the government ID program is a remotely readable radio chip implanted somewhere in your body. Then the government could track and/or restrict you without annoying you with document searches.

BTW – Homeland Security is almost a direct translation of GESTAPO. Tyranny is the same all over the world and only varies in its effectiveness and enforcement brutality. Tyrants claim to protect you but are only trying to control you for your own good. They treat all citizens like unruly children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies