Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 09:37 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I agree. And it is very possible that we don’t end up with these tariffs, but as long as our trading partners believe it is a very real possibility, it gives us a lot of leverage to renegotiate these lousy trade deals that have been harming the American workers for decades.
That's the rub. Do it to countries that are doing it to you in hopes of getting rid of their tariffs on us.

Quote:
When I go into a dealership to buy a car, the best leverage I have is in them knowing that I am willing to walk out of the dealership without buying the car from them.
Right It's about free trade, not managed trade.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:43 AM

1,675 posts, read 576,711 times
A war worth fighting? No war is worth fighting. War on drugs, war on cancer, war on terrorism, How are they doing? Just making things worst.

For the people bashing corporations and globalism, (I myself hate corporations, but for a different reason) they are missing one important point. The problem is that corporations are placed above human beings. It is mainly those with money that benefit from globalism. If we had democracy and not selection of bought politicians, globalism would be used to benefits people in general, not only those who can afford to buy billions worth of stock shares.

In other words, globalism is a necessary evil and can be turn into good as soon as people rights are respected. Tariffs is something from the past and the use of it nowadays is backwards and will only lead to more problems.

The war on drugs, cancer and terrorism works against the majority of humanity, but it makes billions of dollars for a few rich people. Same goes for trade wars.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:48 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This works if you have the advantage -- but the issue is -- say with Canada -- the USA doesn't have the advantage. It's a break even -- Canada needs the USA and the USA needs Canada.

Something like 37 states have Canada as their biggest trading partner. They will be adversely affected if there are trade wars with Canada.

Trump thinks because it is the big ole USA they can walk in dictate terms and walk out.

Doesn't work that way -- doesn't work that way at all.
The advantage the US has over Canada is that the US has 10X the population, combined with the low transport costs that come with being next door. I don’t have any problem with Canada, and I don’t want to see a trade war with them, but let’s be real here, their potential losses are far greater than ours if we were to cut off trade with them

Old 03-04-2018, 09:50 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Which ones?
I haven't noticed any comments by any members of congress.

Please list the evil stupid fearful Republicans so we may join you in your outrage.
Just have to look at your TV or internet.
Quote:
Scott Walker joins chorus of Republicans against Trump tariffs on steel and aluminum

Quote:
Walker is among a growing list of Republicans who are breaking with the GOP president over the tariffs. U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) and House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) have also spoken out against them.
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...num/390192002/

Old 03-04-2018, 09:53 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
We should make steel and aluminum in our country.
ah..."e" do.

Quote:
Made-in-America Steel Includes Mills Owned by Russians, Mexicans

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...sians-mexicans

Old 03-04-2018, 09:54 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
This is just standard short-sighted policy making.

It sounds good to people who don't bother to think about the ramifications of what they're suggesting. Will it drive prices up? Yes. Will it damage international demand for American goods? Yes. Will it cost us jobs? Yes. Will it make us worse off? Most definitely.

But it sure sounds good if you just look at it as some tit for tat schoolyard fight and don't think about the consequences.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
The advantage the US has over Canada is that the US has 10X the population, combined with the low transport costs that come with being next door. I don’t have any problem with Canada, and I don’t want to see a trade war with them, but let’s be real here, their potential losses are far greater than ours if we were to cut off trade with them
https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/...ada/389465002/

Mexico and Canada have been looking elsewhere for economic relationships, and they're finding them. Both have signed on to the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the huge trade pact that Trump pulled the U.S. out of (for no explainable reason other than TPP has something to do with trade). Though Trump says he's trying to protect us against China, he failed to recognize that TPP was actually created to help us compete against China, which is not a member.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/oliverw.../#2ab0e0433fdd

Electricity imports/exports. https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=21992

Old 03-04-2018, 10:17 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Trumps likes it that folks think it is simple for USA to be the big guy at the table.

That's how he sees himself and this country.

But the reality -- it's a give and take. The USA has lots of people that need lots of goods and services at an effective price.

The USA is not self reliant and can't be for many many many many many years and doesn't want to be.

The USA needs trade with other countries and other countries need trade with the USA.

You'll see....

Old 03-04-2018, 10:37 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why get into a trade war in the first place? If you want everyone to have a better life get rid of tariffs. Lower prices benefit we the people and no industry should ever get government favors.
If EVERYONE would get rid of tarriffs, including anti-competitive regulations that have the effect of tarriffs, then you would be right. Let's do that. But that is not what "getting rid of tarriffs" has resulted in. Instead, we get rid of tarriffs, while many other countries have increased theirs and we have not responded accordingly.

This cannot go on. Thank God we finally have someone in power who not only sees this and is willing to give speeches about it - Obama and Bush did that - but also has the balls to do something about it.

This sort of corrective action is long overdue. Try to forget that it is Trump doing it for a minute. We needed Obama and Bush to do it too. And whoever comes after Trump, we will need them to do it as well.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:42 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Just get ready for everything you use that has steel or aluminum in it to cost more. Who's going to pay for the trade war? We are! Are you going to stop buying cars because the steel in it costs more? Nope. You'll just pay more. Soda pop and beer? Aluminum cans. They'll cost more.

Why? Because that's what happens when tarriffs get put on. You won't magically have cheap steel products from the USA; the tarriffs will just raise the prices to whatever price the US can produce steel for; that's what a tarriff does to the consumer. It's the consumer who gets hurt; don't forget that.
Exactly. There's this hilarious joke belief that if we just slap a pile of tariffs on all this stuff, magically all the jobs will come back to America, the burned out and leveled factories will reopen, and somehow Americans will be competitive at these jobs without us seeing price increases. That's not how it works.

I'm in favor of building things in this nation, yes, but Trump's approach - as with nearly every stupid thing he's ever done in his life - lacks a greater understanding of the situation, forethought, or anything more than basic spur of the moment impulse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies