Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 07:52 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

If anyone is still trying to justify such discrimination,as far as I'm concerned, those individuals are enemies, threats to me. I don't care why the restaurant owner singled out only Blacks. This kind of mentailty has existed going back to the slave days. No, I don't have any kind of tolerance or understanding towards such persons. Anyone who does sides with discrimination, period. To me that is an act of war.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:59 AM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm sorry, but that is no more of an excuse than that restaurant owner saying black people are more likely to dine and dash. If someone is speaking based on what they have experienced firsthand, they should say so, rather than making broad generalizations about every member of ANY race, as if their experience is some kind of universal truth.
Where did the owner say that black people are more likely to dine and dash? He DID say that large groups who ask for separate checks made it unlikely to recover payment on the entire bill if he was ble to catch one of the group. He also said he often requires upfront payment if he doesn’t recognize the customer.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:00 AM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If anyone is still trying to justify such discrimination,as far as I'm concerned, those individuals are enemies, threats to me. I don’t care why the restaurant owner singled out only Blacks. This kind of mentailty has existed going back to the slave days. No, I don't have any kind of tolerance or understanding towards such persons. Anyone who does sides with discrimination, period. To me that is an act of war.

He didn’t.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:04 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
True. Asians don't open businesses in black neighborhoods because they love blacks. It's purely a business decision, since the rents in black neighborhoods are the lowest, and they are low because no one else wants to rent there because of the higher crime rates.

Hate on those Asians all you want, but they still are doing those ghetto neighborhoods a favour by being there. And having a business in those rougher areas as got to be on par with the workers featured on Mike Rowe's show Dirty Jobs.

And are those Asians getting "rich" off of their customers? Well it depends on your definition of "rich", but running a restaurant in not easy money, it's very long hours at work, and restaurants fail all of the time.

And a business can't stay in business very long if there is constant theft, so of course the business owners try to prevent those thefts.
They aren’t doing those neighborhoods a favor. Please. If they weren’t there, someone else would be there. No black person has ever starved to death just because there wasn’t an Asian around to sell them a loaf of bread. Gimme a break.

Asians are there because they can’t put those stores anywhere else and succeed. Not because they wanna do African Americans any favors. The relationship is reciprocal...Asians have goods, blacks have money. It’s that simple. There’s no love or altruism on either side. It’s nothing more than a marriage of convenience. A divorce wouldn’t break anyone’s heart.

If blacks didn’t have money, Asians wouldn’t contribute ANYTHING to the community. So kill this notion that one group is doing the other a “favor.”

Old 03-06-2018, 08:59 AM

2,828 posts, read 824,998 times
If any of you have been to a buffet and see what goes on, you would understand why he charged up front.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They aren’t doing those neighborhoods a favor. Please. If they weren’t there, someone else would be there. No black person has ever starved to death just because there wasn’t an Asian around to sell them a loaf of bread. Gimme a break.

Asians are there because they can’t put those stores anywhere else and succeed. Not because they wanna do African Americans any favors. The relationship is reciprocal...Asians have goods, blacks have money. It’s that simple. There’s no love or altruism on either side. It’s nothing more than a marriage of convenience. A divorce wouldn’t break anyone’s heart.

If blacks didn’t have money, Asians wouldn’t contribute ANYTHING to the community. So kill this notion that one group is doing the other a “favor.”
I agree with this. Will note I have no problem with Asian shop keepers in black neighborhoods either as the customers can always chose not to use those stores if they don't want them there.

We are lucky to have a black owned hair/beauty supply store where I live but I still will go to the Asian owned stores for certain things as well and they are usually very courteous and nice at the stores and don't treat their customers bad. One my mom has been shopping at for 30 years and the original owners kids/grandkids now work there too and they are a nice family. They have shared with me and my mom how much the industry has changed and it is harder for them to survive since black women now don't use as much chemicals and (contrary to what people on this thread believe lol) now create our own online stores and products, even weave/hair shops that heavily compete with the Asian own, brick and mortar stores. I've suggested some "natural" products for them to sell and they have taken that suggestion about some products I use (that are black owned/created) that they were not selling before. So I have no ill will toward Asian business owners. I've also worked professionally with a lot of Asian business owners (especially consultants) and they were all primarily decent folks as well. But for a business relationship, no one is dependent on the other. People around here act like black people in America don't have cars to go to the store lol. I'm black and live in the inner city and get my gas at Costco, not an Arab owned gas station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackAmerican View Post
Couldn't pay me to eat at a Chinese restaurant. The food is awful and the Chinese people are just too untrustworthy. Hopefully, those students have learned to stay away from places like that. Those people don't deserve your money.
I agree with another poster in that this is very racist. There are untrustworthy people of all backgrounds and I've not seen that Chinese people are less untrustworthy than others.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:55 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
If any of you have been to a buffet and see what goes on, you would understand why he charged up front.
FYI - Golden Corral charges everyone upfront.

It is amazing to me that you all seem to be okay with this man being racist against black people and treating them worse than other guests based on racist beliefs.

Nearly all buffets make all guests pay as soon as they come in. That alleviates the dash and dine situations and would make this man's racism less evident to his customers.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:13 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Okay, so basically, you are saying that it's okay to assume someone is going to behave badly based on their skin color, religion, or gender, rather than treating people as individuals.

I have seen things like this happen to people who were far from "ghetto" or "trashy," but your belief that they are offended because they need an excuse to act like "uncivilized animals" is duly noted.
I think you sound more like the racist person by automatically assuming “ghetto or trashy” immediately implies “black”. I know the difference between a ghetto black person and a non-ghetto one. One gets treats like potential trouble; the other does not. This goes for anybody whatever their race is.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:19 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFleurM0bile View Post
There were pre-Columbian blacks in the Americas , so actually, you are incorrect. There us no rightful way to steal either!
That was definitely a joke about the Indians. Try to keep up.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:25 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this. Will note I have no problem with Asian shop keepers in black neighborhoods either as the customers can always chose not to use those stores if they don't want them there.

We are lucky to have a black owned hair/beauty supply store where I live but I still will go to the Asian owned stores for certain things as well and they are usually very courteous and nice at the stores and don't treat their customers bad. One my mom has been shopping at for 30 years and the original owners kids/grandkids now work there too and they are a nice family. They have shared with me and my mom how much the industry has changed and it is harder for them to survive since black women now don't use as much chemicals and (contrary to what people on this thread believe lol) now create our own online stores and products, even weave/hair shops that heavily compete with the Asian own, brick and mortar stores. I've suggested some "natural" products for them to sell and they have taken that suggestion about some products I use (that are black owned/created) that they were not selling before. So I have no ill will toward Asian business owners. I've also worked professionally with a lot of Asian business owners (especially consultants) and they were all primarily decent folks as well. But for a business relationship, no one is dependent on the other. People around here act like black people in America don't have cars to go to the store lol. I'm black and live in the inner city and get my gas at Costco, not an Arab owned gas station.

I agree with another poster in that this is very racist. There are untrustworthy people of all backgrounds and I've not seen that Chinese people are less untrustworthy than others.
This is a fair and balanced post.

As a business owner who has retail stores in the shopping malls, I must say that I don't think one race steals more than the other. I think the behaviors of the customers is connected to socioeconomic status.(This is my own generalization and of course there is always exception to this rule.)

I can't remember how many times black customers told me to "Just keep the change." Most are very friendly. Older black ladies have always told me, "Honey, your cabinet door is not closed. Just want to tell you that." I think they are very sweet.

My friend's mom owns a beauty salon/ beauty supply store. They are Korean-Americans. The mom was frustrated that people just wanted to try on the wigs without buying, so she came up with a new policy, "Pay $1.00 to try on the wigs." lol Many customers have told her that this is a good policy. LOL

The owner of the 7/11 in my mom's neighborhood used to be an older white gentleman. We all knew him growing up and he was the nicest person ever. Now the 7/11 has a new owner (somebody from a different race and a different culture/religious background) The friendly conversation is gone, but I understand he is only there to do business.There is no mad love for us. lol He's friendly and always follows the rules, so I have no problem with that. But do I miss the previous owner who is also everyone's friend? Yes, I certainly do.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 03-06-2018 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies