Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 08:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Country Buffet does also.

And... so many pages later, I honestly think that the owner of this Chinese buffet restaurant is only asking large groups of YOUNG black adults/teens to pay upfront. I really got the impression that not all black customers were asked this. Only large parties of young potential dine and dashers.

The owner is not being racist towards ALL blacks, just being cautious with the ones of the types that have skipped out on their bill in the past. And since he doesn't ask ALL of his customer to pay upfront, it indicates that he'd rather not change his whole restaurant policy. I think that he does want to treat most of his customers like responsible and civilized people.
It is racist to single out any specific group of black people. He should change the whole policy. It actually wouldn't be that hard to implement. I go to lot of Chinese buffets and all except one have you pay up front. I don't personally like buffets of any kind but my husband loves Chinese buffets because one that we got to always has crawdads and he loves them. Since it is crawdad season, I've gone to one a few times over the past month or so. We always pay up front and never have any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Actually... Asians with traditional values from their home country aren't racist so much as they despise the machismo cultures of the Hispanics and blacks. It's more of a culture clash. So while Hispanics and blacks are fine with producing baby mommas, that behaviour is extremely shameful and unacceptable for an Asian family. And being on welfare, Section 8 or unemployment is viewed the same way.

As to the darker skin thing, well that's more colourism. In an Asian country, those with tanned darker skin tones are people who work outside, like farmers. And yes, they are looked down upon by the lighter skinned Asian who are untanned from being inside because they are wealthy or have a job using academic prowess. Asians admire smart educated people, then don't admire slackers or players.
Note on this, that I've worked in public housing and there is a significant amount of Asian immigrants who are on Section 8, live in public housing, and who get all sorts of benefits. To think that is not the case when a large amount of Asians are from refugee populations is silly. Also America in general has a machismo culture - many black feminist call it "white patriarchal culture" and many Asians have a very patriarchal culture too, similar to hispanics. Ironically black Americans usually are not as machismo as you'd think as many black women, myself included feel that black American men are much more...I can only say enlightened on how to treat a woman with respect in comparison to Latino or Asian men who expect women to be servants and treat men in a superior fashion no matter what due to "tradition." Black Americans do not have as much of a history in regards to subjugating women as Latinos, whites, and Asians do because our history is based much moreso in this country of us working together to financially take care of a family AND rearing children together so there are less traditional roles to enforce on the part of our men.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:56 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... Dick's doesn't like 18-20 year olds? Good to know...
Why is it good to know?

Old 03-07-2018, 08:58 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why is it good to know?
Do you patronize businesses that discriminate? Probably not. Many others wouldn't, as well.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
So why don't black people take their own advice when it comes to slavery, Jim Crow etc? The people who screwed black people in the past are either dead or very old and has NOTHING to do with most people living now so why do they all have to carry this burden of guilt? 'Don’t bother me with your past problems with others.' But I guess this doesn't apply to black people and their issues for some reason and everyone from now until eternity will forever have to 'deal with America's past', even immigrants who arrived to the US and had zero connection to that past.
I haven’t the faintest idea what you’re talkimg about. But I’m fine with it because neither do you.

If people keep bringing that stuff up to YOU, it’s probably for a good reason. The answer is to do a little self reflection...what ISN’T the answer is to try to soothe your own conscience by pretending to act as if you’re MY inquisitor. I’m not going to assuage your feelings of guilt. You obviously are harboring some pretty hateful sentiments. That’s too bad, but I don’t give a damn because they don’t affect me (or anyone else for that matter).

You’re on your own, buddy.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:08 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Do you patronize businesses that discriminate? Probably not. Many others wouldn't, as well.
The liberal mindset protects racists/crappy people.

Use the force of the government to make sure owners like this aren't exposed.

Thank goodness this owner believes in freedom. Freedom to run his business as he sees fit and makes it public despite the government's effort to silence him.

Now I'll avoid this dude at all costs. The free market is orgasmic nirvana.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:18 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
So why don't black people take their own advice when it comes to slavery, Jim Crow etc? The people who screwed black people in the past are either dead or very old and has NOTHING to do with most people living now so why do they all have to carry this burden of guilt? 'Don’t bother me with your past problems with others.' But I guess this doesn't apply to black people and their issues for some reason and everyone from now until eternity will forever have to 'deal with America's past', even immigrants who arrived to the US and had zero connection to that past.
The restaurant owner died?

How sad.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I don’t know if I do or not. I go in and pay for my goods and services. Who they discriminate against is unbeknown to me...if that’s what they do.

I’m not against this Chinese restaurant owner discriminating. That’s fine. I’d simply refuse to go along with it. It’s really not a big deal when I can easily grab a plate and start eating. Shrug.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:22 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFleurM0bile View Post
Re-read my comment...I'm not suggesting whites are automatically racist ...I'm referring to white communities who 'happen to be racist.' But whatever; pearls before swines.
Where are these entre white communities that happen to be racist?

Old 03-08-2018, 05:28 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It should be the owner's right to ask for payment up front to anyone he wants.

The story goes on...

If he's noticing a trend in the folks who dine and dash then isn't this simply him adjusting his business model?

Yes, the article mentions the fiction that is Title II of the 1964 Civil Rights Act which prohibits restaurants from discrimination based on race but even if we take it into account (despite it being fiction as noted) he only makes certain customers pay up front and not all of them are black then that should squash the notion it's race-based discrimination.

Whatever the case why would anyone want to eat there anyway if they are so offended by the policies?

Black customers allege discrimination at Boardman restaurant | vindy.com
This owner is protecting his business and employees from dead beats.

That’s his right.

However, if there are so many dead beats going there that doesn’t sound like a place I will like to go and dine!

Places we go to eat don’t have the issue, at least I never heard or seen anything like that.

Might not be the best area in town or word of mouth is that it was easy to skip paying.

It is the owners right to charge upfront or afterwards. It is the customers right to dine elsewhere.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:31 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFleurM0bile View Post
Re-read my comment...I'm not suggesting whites are automatically racist ...I'm referring to white communities who 'happen to be racist.' But whatever; pearls before swines.
Might interest you to know...

Chicago: America's most segregated city - CNN

Chicago Isn't Just Segregated, It Basically Invented Modern Segregation - Chicago Magazine

The most segregated schools may not be in the states you’d expect - The Washington Post

Democrats are the most pervasive racists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies