Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 01:33 PM

202 posts, read 152,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What ideas do you have, that do not step all over my individual right to keep & bear my arms, anymore than has already been infringed?

Ideas work, emotions cause mental breakdowns.
When it comes to their gun problem Americans have their eyes closed so tightly they might as well be blind.

There are none so blind as those that will not see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 01:33 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,671,498 times
"What about all the illegal firearms in the hands of criminals across our country?"

The anti-gunners will tell you that the supply will eventually dry up. I beg to differ. Only a small minority of firearms used in crimes are ever discovered by law enforcement.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:39 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,896,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hardy View Post
Because teachers are people and people, in the US in particular, shoot other people at an alarming rate.

If you don't think arming teachers across the country increases the likely-hood of a teacher shooting students your head really is stuck in the sand.

I'm not looking forward to telling you I told you so.
People are people and 99% of them are extremely kind to each other. There is a small group of people who are career criminals who illegally shoot other people. Those career criminals are not teachers.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:40 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,697,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
"What about all the illegal firearms in the hands of criminals across our country?"

The anti-gunners will tell you that the supply will eventually dry up. I beg to differ. Only a small minority of firearms used in crimes are ever discovered by law enforcement.
I submit the bad guys would have better guns then the do now. The illegal traffic in fire arms would be huge!

Old 03-14-2018, 01:43 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,805,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If guns were banned it would take decades to get rid of most of them. Every day more will be gone. If it was decided that guns should be gone from our society, then start today and maybe in 30 years most will be out of the hands of criminals. In the mean time there will be fewer and fewer of them on the streets and fewer gun deaths every year. That's how to get them out of criminal hands.

I understand what you're getting at, but I think your logic would only work in a vacuum. It makes the assumption that removing firearms from the law-abding citizens will in turn remove them from criminals.

If we've learned anything from the war on drugs, we know that a market will be created and those who wish to use firearms criminally will still get them. Worse, though, is that law-abiding citizens will be stripped of the ability to defend themselves.

The logical fallacy that removing firearms from the law-abiding will remove the need for defense is just that, a fallacy.

I wish the phrase "on the streets" would go away in context of firearms. However, I understand why it is used so often. It creates an image of firearms just being everywhere and easily available, more so than a library book as some gun-banners have said. That's just not the truth. The antis want to evoke images of the wild west and shootouts and blood in the streets. It's the same thing they said when concealed carry licenses were voted in, and when duty-to-retreat laws were removed in favor of stand-your-ground laws. We see the truth about how those predictions worked out. They were wildly incorrect. And the antis using those arguments knew, and know, they were emotion-based lies.

If you want to get guns out of the hands of actual criminals, remove prosecutorial discretion from the charges of Felon in Possession, attempting straw purchases, lying on 4473s, firearms theft and so on. Enforce mandatory minimum sentences on armed robbery, etc., and don't allow a plea bargain. we have all the tools needed to discourage the use of firearms in the commission of a crime. We need to use them.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:43 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,469,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Democrats, the Media, Education, and their Progressive, low information (indoctrinated) followers don't care about ILLEGAL GUNS, nor the criminals that use them. It doesn't fit their agenda of disarming the Law Abiding Populace with the "all guns are bad" mantra.
I go 180 from total confiscation. Even farther than most Republicans. I am a constitutionalist.

If you are free to walk the streets of an evil society, it is your god given right to be armed how you feel well regulated in its use.

We don't declaw a domesticated cat, or even a wild big cat, and let it loose in the big world to be prey.

Qualifiers have been added to the 2nd Amendment in the last 80 years. Not by amendment, but by unconstitutional legislation. Violating the shall not be infringed part.

Go try to train with a bunch of your friends daily, in domestic tactical warfare... let the FBI & the ATF get wind of that and tell me the police state, has not suppressed the free state!!!! Someone's going to jail!
The right of the people. Not the privilege of citizens. I have to beg and can be totally denied my right to keep my arms on my person. Government has no authority to tell me where I keep my arms.
You better never bear them or go to jail or get killed.
Now, we got an age requirement out of thin-air, to infringe. When I was 9, I bought and paid for my 30-30.
Now we got a mental sanity requirement out of thin-air, because they let everyone out of the asylum to roam the streets. That sets up a catch 22. They are unarmed and vulnerable prey! That is disgusting! Restrict and take my god given rights because people that should not run free in society are, and you want me disarmed??? You guys are insane!
Non-felons can't be armed? Why are they free to roam the streets of a free society as vulnerable prey? Why do you think they get guns anyway? THEY ARE FREE with ALL THEIR RIGHTS that COME from GOD!! Not government, not you, not me!

Arms. Not small arms, Not big arms. Not only guns. Not only the arms government deems acceptable for public use. Arms. My weapons.

Every piece of gun control legislation is a violation of MY GOD GIVEN RIGHT. Not for you, a court, or the collective to take, unless I'm dead.

All the ambiguity is my liberty to choose for myself, not you, government or the collective to choose for me.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:44 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,671,498 times
Quote:
When it comes to their gun problem Americans have their eyes closed so tightly they might as well be blind.

The problem is that guns have been available in the US for centuries. If you banned them now, nothing would change. In fact, gun violence would likely increase because the armed criminals will be the only people with guns.

On another note, some of us gun folks in the US wonder why so many citizens of other nations were willing to give up their right to bear arms.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:

That doesn't sound like any ideas. It sounds like emotions on a coat sleeve.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I submit the bad guys would have better guns then the do now. The illegal traffic in fire arms would be huge!
I'd become rich!

Old 03-14-2018, 01:53 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,486,797 times
Quote:
That is the strangest thing you have said this week because there is a wide range of opinions on this debate. Some say 2nd Amendment rules require no restrictions, and some say no one should have guns. Each side says the other is wrong. Since you say "Americans have their eyes closed so tightly they might as well be blind" You must have some new vision not shared by anyone else? Illuminate us,please?
"We are all Americans here, probably"

There Are None So Blind As Those Who Will Not See
The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies