Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 06:31 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,519,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
National Shooting Sports Foundation is a trade association for the firearms industry. They did a survey titled 21 Findings About Modern Sporting Rifle Owners, modern sporting being AR-15's. The survey reveled some pretty interesting findings.

Collecting and recreational target shooting are extremely poor reasons for why such a dangerous firearm platform should be made legal. Especially in light of all the recent mass shootings using AR-15's.

As for its use in home defense. Its way more firepower then would ever be necessary for home defense. Using an AR-15 to defend your home would be like using a chainsaw to cut your steak.

I feel like the rise of the AR-15 is often tied into the overt fetishization of our military. I get the sense that many men in civilian life fantasize about being Navy Seals, Marines, etc..and vicariously live through it via ownership of an AR-15. Why else would there be such an obsession with tactical accessories and all things mil spec.
71% of AR owners use a scope or red-dot as their primary optics. Older owners prefer scopes; younger owners prefer red-dot optics.

25% of those who own 3 or more ARs describe their ARs as heavily accessorized (4-plus accessories)
So collecting and shooting for fun is poor decision making? Okay, why do people by cars to go recreational cruising in. One car does A to B. And its such a Dangerous firearm? What firearm isnt. More people die due to 22/25 caliber than any other round.. FBI stats..
Over Fetishization. Nice sexual feeling there, again, by the left. We have more well trained Veterans, active and not active ever in the history of the USA. Maybe that has something to do with this choice of rifle. Maybe, as they are accustomed to its features. And then their families, freinds, co workers etc buy one too for the want/fun of it. Is that illegal, poor decision making.
Many people have hobbies that you could very easily parallel with firearms.. Except, its a right.
Collecting Cabbage Patch dolls, cell phones, cars, homes, train sets, hot wheels, knives, swords, and the list goes on.
You are just another person fixated on the black rifle which isnt the only SA that shoots 223/556 rounds. Far from it. Pure Ignorance on the left.
ANd the accessorizing. Who cares? You accessorize yourself with earrings, watches and jewelry. People do it to their cars, houses, lawns, kids etc etc. Welcome to freedom of choice..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 06:36 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,246,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Your opinions are utter nonsense. Thier ridiculousness and disingenuous nature hinder your argument rather than advance it.
So you have no counter-argument then?

Old 03-05-2018, 06:44 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,130,122 times
Quote:
National Shooting Sports Foundation is a trade association for the firearms industry. They did a survey titled 21 Findings About Modern Sporting Rifle Owners, modern sporting being AR-15's. The survey reveled some pretty interesting findings.

https://www.shtfblog.com/a-profile-o...-15-gun-owner/

One of them highlights the reasons for why these gun owners purchased their AR-15's.

Recreational target shooting was the No. 1-rated reason for owning an AR in terms of importance (89%), home defense was next (77%), followed by collecting (63%) and varmint hunting (6%)

Collecting and recreational target shooting are extremely poor reasons for why such a dangerous firearm platform should be made legal. Especially in light of all the recent mass shootings using AR-15's.

As for its use in home defense. Its way more firepower then would ever be necessary for home defense. Using an AR-15 to defend your home would be like using a chainsaw to cut your steak.

I feel like the rise of the AR-15 is often tied into the overt fetishization of our military. I get the sense that many men in civilian life fantasize about being Navy Seals, Marines, etc..and vicariously live through it via ownership of an AR-15. Why else would there be such an obsession with tactical accessories and all things mil spec.

84% have at least 1 accessory on their rifle, and they spend an average of $436 on after-market accessories and customization

71% of AR owners use a scope or red-dot as their primary optics. Older owners prefer scopes; younger owners prefer red-dot optics.

25% of those who own 3 or more ARs describe their ARs as heavily accessorized (4-plus accessories)
What's your point? What supposedly free, sovereign individuals do with their rightfully acquired property is none of your concern, nor is it any concern of the State, as long as it is not used to violate the liberty of others.

I do agree with you on the overt fetishization of the (not "our") military. I believe one of the main reasons for mass shootings is the militarization of the society, with constant tributes to the military being made during sporting events, TV programs, and movies, as well as the dramatic rise in the militarization of police which has turned them from "peace officers" to "law enforcement."

Old 03-05-2018, 06:54 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,611,341 times
Quote:

Quote:
So you have no counter-argument then?
A counter argument isn't necessary to call out dishonest nonsense opinion.

Your opinion on other's reasons to own a rifle is worthless. Others don't need your approval to responsibly own a rifle that you disingenuously state is somehow different from millions of other similar rifles.

Your opinion on "way more firepower" is inherently wrong, as is your nonsense analogy about a chainsaw.

Your stereotyping of firearms owners is once again, nonsense and a weak attempt at a duplicitous insult and nothing more.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
So collecting and shooting for fun is poor decision making? Okay, why do people by cars to go recreational cruising in. One car does A to B. And its such a Dangerous firearm? What firearm isnt. More people die due to 22/25 caliber than any other round.. FBI stats..
You don't need a semi-auto with a 30 round mag to enjoy target shooting. A bolt action works just fine in that regard. If my hobbies resulted in children being murdered I would gladly give it up. Then again I have a conscious.

Quote:
Over Fetishization. Nice sexual feeling there, again, by the left. We have more well trained Veterans, active and not active ever in the history of the USA. Maybe that has something to do with this choice of rifle. Maybe, as they are accustomed to its features. And then their families, freinds, co workers etc buy one too for the want/fun of it. Is that illegal, poor decision making.
Fetishization doesn't automatically equate to something that is sexual.

to be excessively or irrationally devoted to (an object, activity, etc)

There is an absolute Fetishization with AR-15's that goes well beyond its capabilities. I believe its because our servicemen use them and it has come to carry a certain symbolic weight in the minds of many Americans. Much the same way the AK-17 has with Communist revolutionaries. I don't think its healthy for a gun to hold such a strong symbolic representation. Especially in a first world democracy in the 21st century.

Its interesting to note that the veterans of WW2 had no interest in collecting and owning the weapons they took to war with them. Probably since most of them didn't want to be reminded of the horrors they went through every time they looked at their gun.

Quote:
You are just another person fixated on the black rifle which isnt the only SA that shoots 223/556 rounds. Far from it. Pure Ignorance on the left.
I have no qualms about people owning weapons like the one shown below.

Quote:
ANd the accessorizing. Who cares? You accessorize yourself with earrings, watches and jewelry. People do it to their cars, houses, lawns, kids etc etc. Welcome to freedom of choice..
So whats the obsession with trying to turn your gun into your very own barbie doll?

Old 03-05-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
A counter argument isn't necessary to call out dishonest nonsense opinion.

Your opinion on other's reasons to own a rifle is worthless. Others don't need your approval to responsibly own a rifle that you disingenuously state is somehow different from millions of other similar rifles.

Your opinion on "way more firepower" is inherently wrong, as is your nonsense analogy about a chainsaw.

Your stereotyping of firearms owners is once again, nonsense and a weak attempt at a duplicitous insult and nothing more.
Your response is overtly emotional and your failing to make an argument.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:16 PM

393 posts, read 167,226 times
Why do people have/need/want AR15? Logic-huntingrifle.jpeg

Old 03-05-2018, 07:26 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,130,122 times
Quote:
If my hobbies resulted in children being murdered I would gladly give it up.
Do you eat non fair-trade chocolate, drink non fair-trade coffee, have diamonds, or use products with rare-earth minerals? Because those result in children being used for slave labor and in some cases, murdered.

Do you pay income taxes? Because half of that money goes to the military, which results in hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of children being murdered.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:29 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,611,341 times
Quote:
Your response is overtly emotional and your failing to make an argument.
Your assertions are no less incorrect.

Typing the word "nonsense" is less emotional that your ridiculous opinions of firearms owners. The argument is that your opinions and accusations are erroneous.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:47 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,113,786 times
I have viewed the video in the OP, and I find the line of reasoning to be flawed. If one argues that an AR-15 is something that people should be able to have just because they like it, that would seem to be valid if it were not a tool that has been used to kill so many people. Tools that are dangerous are generally not allowed, even if they are nice to own. A gun is not a couch. We should not be allowed to have as many as we want, any kind we want. They are different from other possessions because they can result in the efficient death of our fellow citizens. I am very aware that many people own these guns and never use them to hurt anyone. But they are deadly instruments. That's why we license and regulate cars and their drivers - because they can be deadly tools if used incorrectly.

As to the thought that because the police and the military also like and want AR-15s, that, to me, does not add anything to the argument that civilians should have them. We don't demand flame throwers, land mines, military helicopters, or all kinds of other military equipment. The jobs that the military and the police do demand that they are appropriately armed. Civilian life does not require semi-automatic rifles.

I suppose it is a matter of balancing rights. Any semi-automatic gun can take the lives of human beings so efficiently, is the right to own one in balance with others' right to live? Sure, you can take a life with a frying pan, but it is not so efficient that you can kill 50 people within a few minutes. That level of killing efficiency seems very like a car to me, in that you can kill multiple people in a very short time. But cars are useful (obviously) in other ways. We tolerate their danger because of that, and try to manage that danger with restrictions on how they are used, who uses them, and constantly making safety enhancement, etc. So why should that not be done with such deadly weapons as AR-15s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies