Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 11:02 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Here is a great video explaining things at a simple. People are always asking why do you need. This explains it well. You may not agree, of course, it is liberal dominated, but enjoy.
https://youtu.be/M6o-xjOhnIs
This seems like a good place to step back in.

I recently bought my 2nd AR-15. It's been about 10 years since my first. Different company, something of a different style.

You know, -15's are like clothes or cars. For the model one may have bought a few years back, it's tough to find it the same the next time around. It might seem odd that "what's in fashion this year" applies to a type of rifle as it does to cars and shoes, but it does seem to be the case.

The one item that does not necessarily apply to one but not the others is that it seems it is constantly under attack, that there is a decent possibility that it may not be available at all next year this time. Admittedly, that is what forced the buying decision this time......and admittedly, that is what forced the buying decision ten years ago.

There are a lot of issues under research for my armory, the .45 revolver, .22 pistols and guns, but the current situation took the -15 to the top of the buying list.

As to other points, I like it because, as it is said in the video, it is a wonderful piece of machinery. As I said before, it can be put in the ready in under a minute. It can be brought up to rapidly put rounds on target.

Now, before someone says, "AH-HA! Killing machine!" let me present another side to the issue of "rapidly". When I was a teen on JROTC rifle team, fatigue in standing position was a constant factor. Trying to get the bull long enough in position so to make the shot and often, one shooter or another, such as me, would have to set the rifle down to rest before trying again. Further, that was only 25 yards.

On my last shooting day, I was testing out some exotic pistols and the fatigue factor was there, between holding the gun up and getting the right eye focus for the sights.

But between the -15 and the -10, in standing (my range is limited to that position), it all flows into place.

Is there a need? I do train to maintain the skills I built up in the service but I hope there is never a need. On the other hand, if there is ever a need, then I know I am able to answer it.

Now, that is not necessarily saying that come the revolution, I will be one to turn back the hoard. Rather, it goes more into family upbringing. Dad's requirement to pay for our college was that us kids would take basic ROTC. We didn't have to make it a living but if the call ever went out, we would be ready. It was our responsibility as members of a priv class of society.

Forty years after the fact, I don't know how that philosophy would apply. Dad is not around to ask him about that........and probably just as well for he didn't believe in civilian ownership of the -15, either.

SIGH, -15s and belly dancing, what else could fathers disagree with in what their children do?

But why have a -15?

It's like what my first CHL instructor said about why have a CHL:

BECAUSE YOU WANT TO AND YOU CAN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 11:20 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
thats BS, I think the instructor was more correct
Go in front of a jury, and tell them you wanted to shoot to KILL. See how that works out for ya.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:14 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
thats BS, I think the instructor was more correct
Nope.

Fourth stage of self defense, being acquitted of all charges.

Making statements of killing or intending to kill may provide sufficient cause to infer premeditation (which is more broad than you intending to kill a specific someone, intending to kill anyone is premeditation). So smart gun instructors never raise the terminology, so as to help prevent their students saying something that increases their risk of prosecution for a legitimate self defense shooting.

Using terms like "shooting to kill" separates the wannabes.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:40 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times

"WASHINGTON (CBS DC) — Annual FBI crime statistics show that more people are killed with clubs and hammers each year than by rifles or shotguns.
In 2011, there were 323 murders committed with a rifle but 496 murders committed with hammers and clubs. There were 356 murders in which a shotgun was the deadly weapon of choice."

Golf clubs implicated in murders, ban on golf clubs proposed.
Golf courses are practice ranges for would be killers.

Baseball will now have to use nerf bats.

Why does anyone need a car with more than 200 horsepower?

Defend your need to buy a pickup truck instead of a prius.

AR is fun to shoot if you can afford the ammo. See the smile on schummers face as he shoots a tech9 machine pistol.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:00 AM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Where are these "militias"? Are they already in existence or will they just form when needed ? Do they have regular meetings and how are their leaders elected ?
As in the days of our constitutional republics founding, the militia consisted of every able bodied-man. They were expected to be armed and proficient in the use of firearms. Today's militia would obviously also include every woman as well.
The purpose of course was to protect & defend the Constitution from enemies BOTH foreign & domestic. The biggest fear the Founding Fathers had was an all powerful national government(with a standing army no less) that could run amok over the rights of unarmed citizens.
Thus the 2nd Amendments primary purpose is not to hunt, shoot for sport, collect, or even for personal protection from criminals. Those things were all assumed rights at the founding of our country. Instead it's primary purpose was to give resistance against enemies of the Constitution, even our own government.

This is not up for debate or modern day interpretation, as it is spelled out in the Federalist Papers written by the very people who penned and ratified our Constitution.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies