Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 03:00 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Believe it or not, there are people who are left-leaning who are not "overgrown adolescents or who seek lives of constant fantasy-based entertainment." This left-leaning woman eschews most Hollywood-produced stuff, and I have for years. I watched so little TV, I cancelled cable (don't miss it), and I watch few movies (the pursuit of a set of values and a purpose-driven life does NOT necessarily imply blind acceptance to religious OR political absolutes).

"Conservatives" are every bit as likely as "liberals" to voraciously consume Hollywood stuff. They could easily boycott it, but they choose instead to eagerly give Hollywood their money while endlessly complaining about it at the same time. It's so much easier to do that than to forgo all that Hollywood entertainment they love.
Nah.
I don't.
But then, they only want the 18-34 males anyway.
They're such fools....we older women have all the money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 07:13 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:

Believe it or not, there are people who are left-leaning who are not "overgrown adolescents or who seek lives of constant fantasy-based entertainment." This left-leaning woman eschews most Hollywood-produced stuff, and I have for years. I watched so little TV, I cancelled cable (don't miss it), and I watch few movies (the pursuit of a set of values and a purpose-driven life does NOT necessarily imply blind acceptance to religious OR political absolutes).

"Conservatives" are every bit as likely as "liberals" to voraciously consume Hollywood stuff. They could easily boycott it, but they choose instead to eagerly give Hollywood their money while endlessly complaining about it at the same time. It's so much easier to do that than to forgo all that Hollywood entertainment they love.
I know, they go to the movies and watch all the tv programs as well, and I see nothing wrong with that. I'm sure predominantly conservative cities and towns have movie theaters, and major network affiliates located in them. I always thought the arts and music was supposed to be free of politics, where we all can escape from reality for just a little while.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:53 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I know, they go to the movies and watch all the tv programs as well, and I see nothing wrong with that. I'm sure predominantly conservative cities and towns have movie theaters, and major network affiliates located in them. I always thought the arts and music was supposed to be free of politics, where we all can escape from reality for just a little while.
You have been misinformed.

While certainly some entertainment is mere mindless distraction, through the ages art and music have been used to change people's minds.

Uncle Tom's Cabin and Gone With the Wind come immediately to mind given the recent kerfuffles over keeping monuments honoring traitors in the public square. But there are countless others.

Our opposable thumbs help us hang on. Stories (told in music and the arts) help us decide what to hang on to.

Politics.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:32 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Conservatives are more likely to bring politics into it. After all, they are the one ones who complain about Hollywood "liberals." Yes, there is something wrong with them bit*hing about Hollywood while supporting it. It's the same as people outside of the US who complain about American "imperialism," all while voraciously consuming American-made products and services.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:34 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times
Quote:
Conservatives are more likely to bring politics into it. After all, they are the one ones who complain about Hollywood "liberals." Yes, there is something wrong with them bit*hing about Hollywood while supporting it.
This just might be the stupid comment of the day here at CD!

The only reason to complain about Hollywood liberals would be because the Hollywood liberals are pushing their agenda on the public instead of just playing dress up in fantasyland.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post

The only reason to complain about Hollywood liberals would be because the Hollywood liberals are pushing their agenda on the public instead of just playing dress up in fantasyland.
Oh, you're a real bright one aren't ya? Nope, your comment is the stupid comment of the day, because what is perfectly obvious went - Woosh! - right over your head.

Obviously, one must spell things out around here:

DON'T watch those Hollywood "liberals" play "dress up fantasy land," while they, of course, "push their agenda" (another ridiculously overused word the right parrots from Fox News, InfoWars, etc).

Boycott Hollywood. It's very simple.

And it's the only logical thing to do if you've convinced yourself that they have an "agenda." That way, you're not -- here comes the point in all of this! -- supporting that "agenda" by giving those "liberals" your time and money by consuming the fruits of their labor. Get it?

YOU have the control, but you choose not to take it. Because to do so would mean you'd have to give up all that "liberal"- produced entertainment you love. And you don't want to do that, even though you'll never admit as much. It's much easier to endlessly complain. Like the triggered little snowflakes you are.

It's called "hypocrisy."

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 03-11-2018 at 08:59 AM..

Old 03-11-2018, 09:57 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times
Quote:
Oh, you're a real bright one aren't ya? Nope, your comment is the stupid comment of the day, because what is perfectly obvious went - Woosh! - right over your head.

Obviously, one must spell things out around here:

DON'T watch those Hollywood "liberals" play "dress up fantasy land," while they, of course, "push their agenda" (another ridiculously overused word the right parrots from Fox News, InfoWars, etc).

Boycott Hollywood. It's very simple.

And it's the only logical thing to do if you've convinced yourself that they have an "agenda." That way, you're not -- here comes the point in all of this! -- supporting that "agenda" by giving those "liberals" your time and money by consuming the fruits of their labor. Get it?

YOU have the control, but you choose not to take it. Because to do so would mean you'd have to give up all that "liberal"- produced entertainment you love. And you don't want to do that, even though you'll never admit as much. It's much easier to endlessly complain. Like the triggered little snowflakes you are.

It's called "hypocrisy."
WOW! Talk about going over your head! LOL I guess it's easy given where your head is located!

Conservatives ARE turning away from everything with a liberal agenda being pushed, hence the low ratings the left keeps crying about yet are too stupid to realize why. Look at the Oscars, movie tickets, the NFL and all the other things that are dropping.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
WOW! Talk about going over your head! LOL I guess it's easy given where your head is located!

Conservatives ARE turning away from everything with a liberal agenda being pushed, hence the low ratings the left keeps crying about yet are too stupid to realize why. Look at the Oscars, movie tickets, the NFL and all the other things that are dropping.
LOL. That's the kind of quip my kids said to each other in when they were in elementary school.

You're telling me all this as though it's supposed to bother me. But it's been so long since I've watched the Oscars, I can't remember what year it was I last did. Have no interest in it. I rarely go see a movie these days, because the movies they produce rarely interest me (Three Billboards was a recent exception). And I'm left-leaning. Good to hear you conservatives are finally catching on!

Old 03-11-2018, 10:26 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:

You don't have to follow any "agenda" that Hollywood lays out for you. I know its tough, but Hollywood is all make believe. Just like Trump being President.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:27 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:

The "left" is not crying about anything, that would be Trump conservatives who are butt-hurt over just about everything these days, just like their leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies