Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 01:04 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
No, Norway and France do not have more mass shootings per capita than the US.

You have to really torture the statistics to get that result, like that idiotic study that only looked at 2009 - 2015 that was conducted by this guy. You know, "massage" the data to exclude most American shootings, then shrink the time frame to produce the desired results.
Is Barack Obama correct that mass killings don't happen in other countries? | PolitiFact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 01:12 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
k , so what?

PunditFact rated Mostly True the claim that "Americans are 20 times as likely to die from gun violence as citizens of other civilized countries."

Old 03-06-2018, 01:18 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
k , so what?

PunditFact rated Mostly True the claim that "Americans are 20 times as likely to die from gun violence as citizens of other civilized countries."
What determines a civilized country?

Old 03-06-2018, 01:51 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What determines a civilized country?
ask punditfact

Old 03-06-2018, 01:59 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
No, Norway and France do not have more mass shootings per capita than the US.

You have to really torture the statistics to get that result, like that idiotic study that only looked at 2009 - 2015 that was conducted by this guy. You know, "massage" the data to exclude most American shootings, then shrink the time frame to produce the desired results.
That only takes into account the raw number of deaths from mass shootings too, not the number of mass shooting incidents. Norway pretty much had only one mass shooting, but that particular shooter was able to take down a lot of people at once.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:05 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Lightbulb "It's EASY!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Parents, raise your children properly and teach your children to obey the laws and NOT to commit murder!

Why is that so damn hard?

I am so tired of people blaming others for their own problems.

As a HS teacher, I had over 3000 teens pass through my classroom.

Included in that number were a handful of kids who came from incredibly neglectful homes. Parents who had children for whatever reason they deemed valid at the time, but who must have lost interest and then became irresponsible.

I suspect those parents are the same type of people who adopt a cute puppy or kitten and then a few months later take their pet out into the countryside and just turn them loose to whatever fate may hold in store for them.

If you have the simple, easy-to-understand solution to keeping people like that from reproducing, I'm sure America and the world would be open to hearing it.

Because the job of parenting is NOT easy or simple.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:18 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
As a HS teacher, I had over 3000 teens pass through my classroom.

Included in that number were a handful of kids who came from incredibly neglectful homes. Parents who had children for whatever reason they deemed valid at the time, but who must have lost interest and then became irresponsible.

I suspect those parents are the same type of people who adopt a cute puppy or kitten and then a few months later take their pet out into the countryside and just turn them loose to whatever fate may hold in store for them.

If you have the simple, easy-to-understand solution to keeping people like that from reproducing, I'm sure America and the world would be open to hearing it.

Because the job of parenting is NOT easy or simple.

It's always the people who never had children who think raising a kid is easy, and that they, naturally, would have been exceptional at it if they had.

I've done a lot of different things in my life, but raising my kids was by far, by far, the most difficult. Kids come with their own personalities, their own strengths and weaknesses, and their own mindsets and proclivities that are completely outside of their parents control.

But rest assured, if the OP ever had a kid, that kid would toe the line and be a perfectly formed mini-lifeexplorer. Sure he would.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:27 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
It's always the people who never had children who think raising a kid is easy, and that they, naturally, would have been exceptional at it if they had.
I think more people realize that having children is stressful and expensive, which explains why the birth rate has dropped.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:48 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
What's your motivation for calling it a lie?
Are you FACT based or just calling anything you and the NRA don't agree with a lie?

For statistics on guns in the home making you more likely to be killed read this:

Gun Violence Statistics Archives | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

For statistics on how gun homicides per capita are significantly less in countries with gun control look at the attached graph below on Gun Homicides by Country, taken from the following article.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...do-gun-control

Quote:
What’s your motive for posting this lie?
Attached Thumbnails
The most controversial method to stop mass murder that nobody talks about-stats.jpg  

Old 03-06-2018, 04:22 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Quote:
Hence the responsibile parents.

How about a law that says if you can’t ensure your children not become a murderer, you aren’t allowed to have children.
Ummm ... you cannot know that you can't ensure your children will not become a murderer until after you have a child and raise him or her.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies