Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 07:24 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times

Advertisements

This whole thread is stupid. No one has has a single bad experience because of their bumper stickers. The OP is just sowing distrust and discord. Don't fall for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 07:33 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
I live and work in Los Angeles. I have a very nice car. Do the math.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:36 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
You are just asking for trouble. In todays and tomorrows political climate your car is going to stand out for a nice dose of vandalism. If they don't key it or throw a brick through the window, they may pick your tires.
So, what you're saying is the anti-fascists are actually the fascists... thanks for clearing that up.

Time for me to re-up with the NRA - Woot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
This whole thread is stupid. No one has has a single bad experience because of their bumper stickers. The OP is just sowing distrust and discord. Don't fall for it.
Probably a Russian bot

Old 03-07-2018, 09:01 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Lol.. until you park and walk away.

And if you pulled a gun on someone who was keying your car, you would deserve everything it got you ~ including the loss of ability to conceal carry if not the loss of the right to firearms itself.

Be aware, I'm a firearms instructor ~ this isn't an NRA thing, or a firearms thing.

OP, no need for me to remove stickers. I don't advertise for anything without being paid... haven't had a company offer me payment yet.
Maybe pulling a gun was too extreme, but what am I supposed to do if I see someone keying my car, just call the cops (bad guy will be long gone by the time they get there, most likely)? Maybe chasing after them and tackling them till cops show up might work, but even then, you are still at risk for legal battles if the perp sues you or claims they didn't do it and that you assaulted them.

On the other hand, the argument that, because of legal problems and bla bla bla, we should let crime happen, that actually encourages bad things to happen.

A perfect example is President Obama's educational edicts about stopping the "school to prison pipeline". While I strongly believe he made such edicts with the INTENTION of causing harm (sometimes I call him President Pong Krell or President Palpatine) , assuming that he meant well, it was ill thought of. What actually happened is that schools, fearing of going over the quotas, kept bad students from being arrested for dangerous criminal activities at schools (Cruz was one such case, and 17 people paid the ultimate price for that policy in Parkland!).

Another instance of "Let's not act because it's not PC" that turned deadly was that someone did know about the San Bernadino shooter but figure that if they spoke up, they'd just be labeled "Islamophobes" and ignored and would just bring trouble to themselves.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
If it's wrong to tear a sticker off someone's car, isn't it just as wrong to put one on it?

I hope you are joking about this.
It is called "Redneck Tagging"
You didn't know that.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
So you're saying that NRA members are cowards, after all?

I have a friend with Obama/Hillary stickers all over her car, in a very conservative area. She's sure not backing down, although she's had some bad encounters with Republicans.
How do you know they were "Republicans" and not just sane people? Did you ask their political affiliation or do you just assume?

Old 03-08-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Well, people were beaten,pepper sprayed and otherwise assaulted for wearing a MAGA hat or T-shirt or for holding a sign, and in a couple of cases just for wearing a plain red hat and homes/building damaged just for a yard sign so is it really that much of a stretch to think that a car might get vandalized for it's stickers?

Old 03-08-2018, 08:51 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, people were beaten,pepper sprayed and otherwise assaulted for wearing a MAGA hat or T-shirt or for holding a sign, and in a couple of cases just for wearing a plain red hat and homes/building damaged just for a yard sign so is it really that much of a stretch to think that a car might get vandalized for it's stickers?
Yes, because it's fear-mongering. If you want to talk about things that really happened, that's fine. But no one has reported any vandalism related to bumper stickers, so warning people about it is just a tactic to divide people.

Posts like the OP's make you think that people who disagree with you (collectively, not you personally) are your enemy and that's a dangerous way to think. I mentioned earlier about my neighbor with the NRA sticker. He and I clearly disagree about gun control, but we have a cordial relationship and I like the guy. I have some other seriously pro-Trump neighbors and I can't stand Trump, but I like them a lot. We often stand outside and chat in the evenings. They live next door to people who are staunch Democrats and had a Hillary sticker on their car, but those sets of neighbors are not outside beating each other up.

The type of rhetoric put forward by the OP is not helpful and he should be called out on it.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Yes, because it's fear-mongering. If you want to talk about things that really happened, that's fine. But no one has reported any vandalism related to bumper stickers, so warning people about it is just a tactic to divide people.

Posts like the OP's make you think that people who disagree with you (collectively, not you personally) are your enemy and that's a dangerous way to think. I mentioned earlier about my neighbor with the NRA sticker. He and I clearly disagree about gun control, but we have a cordial relationship and I like the guy. I have some other seriously pro-Trump neighbors and I can't stand Trump, but I like them a lot. We often stand outside and chat in the evenings. They live next door to people who are staunch Democrats and had a Hillary sticker on their car, but those sets of neighbors are not outside beating each other up.

The type of rhetoric put forward by the OP is not helpful and he should be called out on it.
Not just "rhetoric" it seems...

Cars damaged at Trump rally; victim speaks out
Quote:
Several cars were vandalized Saturday at Trump's rally in Bangor -- now victims are speaking out.
newscentermaine.com | Cars damaged at Trump rally; victim speaks out

Vandals Target Bay Area Trump Supporters’ Homes, Cars, Flags
Quote:
She says she has had signs destroyed at her Mill Valley home, and her car was keyed multiple times.

Now she hides her Trump signs under a jacket in her car and uses a magnet instead of a bumper sticker so people won’t key her car.

Hollister resident J.W. Paine knows what that feels like. He says his house has been egged, car windows smashed, and vandals set his American flag on fire twice.

Now Paine has asked his teenage daughters to sleep at their grandparents’ house until after the election.

“My 13-year-old is scared to come back home … my wife is not happy,” says Paine.
Vandals Target Bay Area Trump Supporters’ Homes, Cars, Flags « CBS San Francisco

Old 03-08-2018, 09:42 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,955 times
I don't have any identifying stickers on my car other than what are required by state and local laws. I'd take all of it off if I could, including my license plate. Oh, and I'm an NRA life member, a member of Maryland Shall Issue and the Second Amendment Foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies