Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 05:56 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times

Advertisements

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wa...ity/ar-BBJVlx7

Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 11:19 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Default State of Washington Passes Net Neutrality

Washington sticks it to the FCC, passes its own net neutrality rules

Washington is the first state to pass its own laws governing net neutrality, with federal regulations preventing Internet service providers from blocking or throttling content slated to end in April.

On Monday, Inslee signed the law protecting net neutrality rules within the state. The new legislation, which passed with bipartisan support, cements into state law the rules set by the Federal Communications Commission in 2015.

"Today we make history: Washington will be the first state in the nation to preserve the open internet," Inslee said during a bill signing ceremony. Washington's law will take effect June 6; however, the FCC's changes to its rules go into effect next month.

I would rather it this way than through the Feds.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:47 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
Looks like you're out of luck in Texas. Special interests come first in conservative states.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:50 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Washington is the first state to pass its own laws governing net neutrality, with federal regulations preventing Internet service providers from blocking or throttling content slated to end in April.

On Monday, Inslee signed the law protecting net neutrality rules within the state. The new legislation, which passed with bipartisan support, cements into state law the rules set by the Federal Communications Commission in 2015.

"Today we make history: Washington will be the first state in the nation to preserve the open internet," Inslee said during a bill signing ceremony. Washington's law will take effect June 6; however, the FCC's changes to its rules go into effect next month.

Now if they would apply equal treatment of content on websites.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:51 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
This is excellent news. Let's hope many states follow suit.

And those who don't like it can go live in red states and watch their Internet slow down.

Works for me.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:52 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Now if they would apply equal treatment of content on websites.
Who are you to decide what goes on my website?

ETA: I took the bait, didn't I? Having lost the NN debate in the public eye, you and yours are now deliberately conflating the issue, as if you can't tell the difference between content provider and carrier service.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:53 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,543 times
How does this work logistically? Can Net Neutrality be applied to the entire state via simple clicks of the mouse without infrastructure changes?

Not debating the merits, just curious if this is logistically possible without any major changes.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:58 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Since it's my state, I'm very fine with it. But I also think after Trump that we are no longer the "United" States and should probably regionalize. Washington doing this is a perfect example of a state choosing a different path and those who disagree can hit the road.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:03 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Of course, leave it to the #FakeNews media to gush over this law that "sticks it to" the Trump Administration, all while failing to provide even the semblance of critical reporting on the legality of such a move. The federal regulations explicitly prohibit states from preempting the new change by the FCC . https://reason.com/blog/2018/03/06/w...ly-dubious-net

But, hey, I'm all for letting the leftist rank and file believe that they are #winning

Old 03-06-2018, 12:07 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Looks like you're out of luck in Texas. Special interests come first in conservative states.
That's fine with me.

There are pros and cons both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies