Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 12:45 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Unlike virtually any other category, we generally make age restrictions based on general statistics and tradition. Based on brain development studies (and thousands of years of parental experience) we have good reason to think that children, in general, are not to be trusted with certain types of freedoms. In this case, the brains of teens are still developing in critical ways that make them impulsive. This is "in general" so, yes, there could be some teens who might be safer with guns than the average adult would be. But overall we still have good reasons for not letting kids drive, use tobacco, alcohol, etc., and guns simply fall in this general tradition. And, yes, some adults are irresponsible too, which is why gun laws are appropriate.

Presumably kids can use guns if their parent takes them out hunting or target shooting. But allowing them to buy guns and use them without supervision is a different matter.
The one size fits all....
When as individuals we are all different. Mentally and maturity.
My daughter at 10 was way more responsible and mature mentally, than some 35 year olds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 12:46 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Voluntary freedom of association.

Anyone should be able to choose with whom they choose to do business for any reason. It's their private property, and it is someone's natural right to be able to discriminate for any reason they see fit. Let the market sort out the winners and losers.
This should have ended the thread...but alas...we need roads.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:47 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Wrong. Race is immutable. Its genetic. She is white, btw. What she calls herself, or pretends to be, is irrelevant to what she actually is. Just like biological sex cannot be modified. You are what you are.
I agree with you. the denial of biology, sex and race, is leftist dogma. leftists deny science when convenient.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:52 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,061 times
What it all comes down to, though, is what the law is. Federal law has no protection in this case--the only protected age class in fed law is the 40+ group wrt employment issues.

A little reading has shown that Oregon STATE law does have age as a protected class wrt public accommodations. So, it boils down to the definition of "public accommodation." This should be decided on a state level--SCOTUS is not the appropriate place for this particular argument, because it is the state definition that is in question.

Again, I stress, if the pro guns-for-all contingent doesn't take this seriously, you run the risk of a large retailer saying they won't sell guns at all. Seems far-fetched, but it is something that becomes more & more realistic each day.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:55 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,906,520 times
Age discrimination obviously; same as with cigarettes and alcohol. But, who wants to be the plaintiff at the Supreme Court to reverse these unconstitutional acts?

Old 03-06-2018, 01:00 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
We let 16 year olds drive unsupervised.
Yes. And a lot of traffic accidents and deaths happen as a result. In this case it's just tradition. Not every law makes perfect sense from a scientific perspective. Some have suggested that teens should not drive, but that's a hard tradition to change.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:03 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,066,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Then you should be fine with refusing to sell them to all white men based on being the most likely to commit a mass shooting.... If we hold a race or gender responsible for the actions of a few what’s fair is fair. Perhaps only women should own guns.

But it's fine with blacks shoot and kill other blacks every hour of every day in this country.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
But it's fine with blacks shoot and kill other blacks every hour of every day in this country.
this is the irony of the anti-gun hysteria NOW. the NAACP called for a gun grab today.

the left doesn't want to talk about real school protection for children. this discussion has devolved into guns are bad. this discussion has nothing to do with protection of school kids. the left is so devious. they even use young high school kids. calling them experts. they aren't. these kids are being used as emotional tools, exploited for propaganda for the Left, and it is despicable.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:42 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
this is the irony of the anti-gun hysteria NOW. the NAACP called for a gun grab today.

the left doesn't want to talk about real school protection for children. this discussion has devolved into guns are bad. this discussion has nothing to do with protection of school kids. the left is so devious. they even use young high school kids. calling them experts. they aren't. these kids are being used as emotional tools, exploited for propaganda for the Left, and it is despicable.
Um, hello...I'm from the left, and I am interested in real school protection for children, and I have been for years. Are YOU willing to talk compromise? Are YOU willing to listen to other opinions? Because I don't want to take all the guns. I have my own, thanks. But neither do I want the education system to arm school faculty and staff. They have too many kids, too much to do, and not enough actual education resources. So, I'm willing to talk. But I have a different opinion, and calling me stupid and telling me I don't care about MY kids won't get you far. I can double down & dig in, too. We'll get much further if you'll stop demonizing me, stop telling me I don't care, that I only want to exploit people and take away rights. Untrue, false, not right.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Um, hello...I'm from the left, and I am interested in real school protection for children, and I have been for years. Are YOU willing to talk compromise? Are YOU willing to listen to other opinions? Because I don't want to take all the guns. I have my own, thanks. But neither do I want the education system to arm school faculty and staff. They have too many kids, too much to do, and not enough actual education resources. So, I'm willing to talk. But I have a different opinion, and calling me stupid and telling me I don't care about MY kids won't get you far. I can double down & dig in, too. We'll get much further if you'll stop demonizing me, stop telling me I don't care, that I only want to exploit people and take away rights. Untrue, false, not right.
what are your suggestions? I agree demonizing people is counter productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies