Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 05:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Yes, the people in Africa DO eat the elephants.

https://gothunts.com/see-what-happen...phant-hunting/
That is a commercial for elephant hunting. They are selling elephant hunts.

Numerous links have already been posted (with no revenue generating motive) that elephants are killed for their ivory, that elephants are endangered, that more elephants are being killed than being born and at this rate, they will be extinct in our lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 05:46 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Did you even read about when hunting was outlawed and elephant populations declined? Or are you just putting on your outrage because Trump?
nope why don't you share what you read with the rest of us?

Old 03-06-2018, 05:47 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
nope why don't you share what you read with the rest of us?
I already did. Dang. Are you too sleepy to scroll up a couple of pages?

Old 03-06-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
While I would prefer photo safaris and that sort of tourism, trophy hunting can generate substantial revenue for the country in question and help support their conservation efforts.

ESPECIALLY in cases where they would be culling some anyway, letting some trophy hunter come in and take it home for their wall is fine by me.

P.S. I'm not a hunter. I'm a conservation realist and Africa's parks are under serious real world pressure and it's not because of some dentist from Texas killing an elephant. People that take an almost religious opposition to hunting have that right of course but I'd ask them to try to be a little more culturally open minded.
They are threatened, a threatened species does not need 'culling'. There is little to no evidence that the money from trophy hunts goes to the population it is almost always retained by the guides and corporations who arrange for the hunt.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:52 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Are they eating the elephants? These are for trophies.
This shows how much you actually know about this.

The meat from hunted elephants is almost always distributed to local villages for their consumption. It's all arranged ahead of time. Poor villages get an excellent protein source from these hunts. It's not like the body is simply discarded. It's the same with other large game hunts as well.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:57 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
This shows how much you actually know about this.

The meat from hunted elephants is almost always distributed to local villages for their consumption. It's all arranged ahead of time. Poor villages get an excellent protein source from these hunts. It's not like the body is simply discarded. It's the same with other large game hunts as well.
More elephants are being killed than are being born and at this rate they will be extinct in our lifetime. There are plenty of other non-endangered meat sources. Elephants are primarily killed for ivory and trophies. Trump's sons love this kind of hunting. This was entirely predictable.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:58 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
I can't see why anyone would need to shoot elephants as a hobby. But that's me.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I already did. Dang. Are you too sleepy to scroll up a couple of pages?
THIS is your source? https://gothunts.com/african-elephant/ That's from a company selling trophy hunts geezus. That is not supported anywhere, if it's even true it's entirely anecdotal, it would be like saying "auto fatalities dropped this year and GM quit seling red cars so red cars must cause traffic accidents"

Old 03-06-2018, 06:24 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
THIS is your source? https://gothunts.com/african-elephant/ That's from a company selling trophy hunts geezus. That is not supported anywhere, if it's even true it's entirely anecdotal, it would be like saying "auto fatalities dropped this year and GM quit seling red cars so red cars must cause traffic accidents"
Is "Slate" liberal enough for you?

Also from my post:

From "Slate":

"It’s understandable to find the practice of hunting elephants for sport repulsive. It's also understandable to be suspicious of this change given everything happening in politics right now. But these loud missives don’t do justice to the nuanced factors that go into developing and implementing conservation efforts. When you considered the facts on the ground, lifting restrictions on elephant trophy bans isn’t necessarily a bad idea. In fact, it could be a good idea."

(Snip)

"But it’s important to note that elephant populations are not in the dire straits they once were. The International Union for Conservation of Nature lists the African elephant species as “vulnerable,” not endangered, meaning population numbers or habitat range are less than satisfactory but can improve if measures are taken. One of those measures could be controlled hunting that shaves off individual numbers in the short term to create a bigger population growth in the long term."

(Snip)

"Moreover, those populations experience different versions of stability depending on the country, and that “vulnerable” status doesn’t necessarily apply everywhere. According to the Great Elephant Census, the African savanna’s elephant population across 18 countries went down 30 percent from 2007 to 2014. But that’s only part of the picture. In 2014, Zimbabwe’s elephant populations tallied up to more than 82,000—an incredibly far cry from the 4,000 individuals counted up around 1900. The GEC numbers suggest the elephant population numbers for both Zimbabwe and Zambia are fairly stable.
And stability is key for the FWS. Historically speaking, the U.S. Department of the Interior has always paid more attention to local population stability than absolute numbers across the globe. In making this move for two countries, the FWS seems to be reinforcing an approach that’s tailored to regions rather than an entire continent."

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.slate...elephants.html

Personally, I would never in a million years want to hunt an elephant or any other big game. I also know that I don't know enough about the issue to have a knee jerk reaction about it, either.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Is "Slate" liberal enough for you?

I don't know what "is slate liberal enough for you" is supposed to mean. This should be an issue of scientific inquiry not politics. The author of that piece is also using anecdotal evidence, i.e because of this therefore that.

Elephant hunting should be reserved for the indigenous people of Africa, they can work with local officials to identify which elephant deaths will not endanger the herd then accompany the locals on the hunt. The ivory should be the property of the community to keep or sell as they see fit. Once they have a stake in the game they would take care of the poachers, probably by hunting them down and killing.

But there is no justification for a bunch of rich white guys to pretend they are hunting while protected by guides and served cool beverage and little wet nappies to wipe the sweat off their brow. That image sickens me as much as the photos of people killing entire buffalo herds from trains leaving the carcasses to rot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies