Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2018, 03:19 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
That's a better term. Totalitarian oppressors. We had a little dust up about that a few hundred, or so years ago.
I don't see it.

I have never met a liberal who tended toward totalitarianism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 03:57 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I don't see it.

Liberals/Progressives are STATISTS first. All big government, all the time. Big government is oppressive, and always become totalitarian, therefore liberals favor a totalitarian regime.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:08 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

I'm not the only liberal that is sick of all the regressive left today. Why do mainstream liberals continue to tolerate these spoiled brats?
Yesterday's spoiled brat is tomorrow's wise leader.

Personally, I don't care what others do or don't. As long as i'm not forced into anything or any position, I'm free to pick and choose what I want to get involved in or not.

it makes no difference to me if someone else feels the need for safe space. I don't, but that's just me. For all I know, by next year, I may feel the need for safe space myself. Or not. But seeking it will be up to me, just as it is for them now.

If someone who essentially agrees with all the same philosophical bones that hold me upright, why should I care if some of his aren't exactly the same as mine?

If brats are just being bratty, and if bratty equates with being regressive, then what can I do about it? I don't have to associate with the brats or agree with them. Maybe their brattiness will work when my old-school reasoning fails.

It doesn't matter as long as the some bones are all holding us upright. I feel no need to win any wars between those who are in basic agreement with me. Indeed, I don't feel the need to ever start such a war. It's pointless to shoot at your own troops, even if they are a mess.

Sometimes a mess is all who are willing to muster, and I would rather march with a mess than sit at home and stew about it not being perfect.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:22 PM

393 posts, read 166,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
They are. I also think of the puritans. You should see how awful they are even to each other. They find offense in everything. I just don’t understand that mentality. Lighten up people. Life isn’t that bad here. It’s a new religion, but more of the fire and brimstone variety than of love.
Some people aren't happy unless they're **** off.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:33 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
In order to do that, you first have to abandon your identity politics and "Political correctness" agendas, which the SJW's and the safe spaces are just a byproduct of.

I am not holding my breath.
Identity politics isn't going anywhere considering how much of the population prefers to vote for white, straight, evangelicals.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:20 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I don't see it.

Quote:
Liberals/Progressives are STATISTS first. All big government, all the time. Big government is oppressive, and always become totalitarian, therefore liberals favor a totalitarian regime.
Totally agree Hesychios.

I think most liberals favor personal autonomy with social programs that afford equal opportunity. I see nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:28 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Its just weird that conservatives have adopted anarchists into their fringes while liberals have adopted the true pro government fascists into theirs. Maybe in 10 or 20 years the left will be anti abortion and pro gun and conservatives will be pro abortion and anti gun. They both seem to be reinventing themselves but all joking aside do seem to be resembling each other more and more.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:29 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
Quote:
All totalitarian leaders have been men.

Therefore all men are totalitarians.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:33 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
All totalitarian leaders have been men.

Therefore all men are totalitarians.
That is a disingenuous analogy, and you know it. Statists like the current Progressives here, and around the world want to give more, and more power to big government, and they have. In the meantime giving up more freedoms. Totalitarian regimes are eventually the outcomes.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:34 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Liberals/Progressives are STATISTS first.
Government can be an instrument of positive good. Isn't that why we have such a big defense budget?
Quote:
All big government, all the time. Big government is oppressive, and always become totalitarian, therefore liberals favor a totalitarian regime.
It does not follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies