Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 05:02 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Most people want lower crime and new businesses in their neighborhood that aren’t another pawn shop liquor store. Or check cashing store .

Not sure why you want to keep the ghetto , ghetto ..
To each his own. It doesn't sound totally ghetto and crime rates had decreased, which is when these art galleries moved in.

Someday some group might think your neighborhood is "wrong" and want people like you out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 05:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
So they are fighting against people with money coming in and improving the neighborhood? How can both white flight AND gentrification be racist? So anything a white person does is racist?
Good point.

That's what Liberals want everyone to believe, but intelligent people know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They are improving it in such a way that the neighborhood residents are displaced.
So?

Quote:
They are improving it for the benefit of themselves.
So what if they are?

Quote:
They don't have anything in common with the residents any more than they do with Bubba from Arkansas. Why is this so hard to understand... Ninety percent of the current residents are renters. The gentrifiers know this and buy up the property and price them out.
That's a good thing.

In Over-the-Rhine in Cincinnati where I live, gentrification is a good thing.

I only get hit up once to buy illegal drugs or engage in Food Stamp fraud, instead of the half-dozens times I used to get hit up while walking to Kroger's or Findlay Market to shop.

There's a lot less violence, too.

ABC news once proclaimed Republic Street in Over-the-Rhine the deadliest street in America.

Thanks to gentrification, I can now walk those seven blocks down Republic Street and rarely be accosted.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:18 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yahoo News has a glowing profile of the brave young racists of color aiming to intimidate whites who encroach on American urban neighborhoods.

https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/970723141231181824

https://www.yahoo.com/news/new-gener...100000522.html
So are these activists going to step up and buy the properties to keep their neighborhoods as they would like them? Or are they just going to march around complaining and raising fists?

Old 03-09-2018, 05:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
To each his own. It doesn't sound totally ghetto and crime rates had decreased, which is when these art galleries moved in.

Someday some group might think your neighborhood is "wrong" and want people like you out of it.
You don’t get it . We have a free market here in America .

You are talking nonsense . It improves the area for everyone that lives in the neighborhood and when the neighborhood gets improved .

Old 03-09-2018, 05:29 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
One failed program after another to revitalize urban areas has been the norm.

Now that it is improving it is seen as a bad thing... not sure if it is seen as bad because because the programs have largely failed... I remember walking past boarded up homes as a kid to school... now these homes that the city sold for $1 in the 70's sell for 350 to 400k...

Again... those that own homes in California are not forced to sell... it matters not if a million dollar home is gong in next to a 100k cottage... each property stands on it's own as far as property taxes.

I can see the point in other states where the property tax becomes un-affordable because of increasing property values... thankfully, the voters of California addressed this 40 years ago with Prop 13.

Those that rent in my city are also protected by very strong rent control... so it is not one sided.

In truth... I have had former tenants leave the urban areas for the suburbs only to regret it... the problems they thought they were leaving behind "Followed" them.

I know most will dismiss this...

I had a Section 8 working Mom with 4 kids... her oldest son was always in trouble in school... she bitterly blamed the school and vowed to get her family out of the city... they moved about 40 miles away to a 4 bedroom 3 bath home that was built in 2005 and went foreclosure... the home was double the size and 60 years newer than what I managed... but she spent hours each day on road commuting...

Anyway... she called a couple of years later asking if she could have her old house back... I told it was rented and the family was very happy there.... then I asked why... she said her son that was having all the problems had even more in the good school district... he was eventually expelled and was doing time for carjacking and Breaking and Entering... according to her moving didn't accomplishing anything but to have a bigger house farther from her job and with bigger utility bills.

I don't fault her at all... she did what she thought best but never realized it was not bad schools but her son and her... being away so much that he was mostly on her own... during the day.

The school that was so bad has seen steady test scores improve as the area gentrified.... almost all of the rental homes are now owner occupied with young professionals with no or one only one child.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
You don’t get it . We have a free market here in America .

You are talking nonsense . It improves the area for everyone that lives in the neighborhood and when the neighborhood gets improved .
And the residents have the freedom to protest. Some of us support that.

You and others here deny many people will be displaced, or think it is just fine. At least the other poster was honest, he just doesn't care that they get pushed out and doesn't get the problem with replacing a population. Guess they are not human.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:40 PM

^^^ May I ask if your experience is California or outside California?

My experience is limited to the SF Bay Area which may or may not be different from other regions.

Voluntarily Cashing out is a way of life for many retired... not in the least are they forced to move... but selling a 1950 home for 500k and moving to the South and buying a nice brick home with some land and putting 300k in the bank holds appeal... several that come to mind are simply returning to where they were born after spending 40 years in California...

There are still places of incredible affordability... Michigan has tremendous bargains... I looked at solid brick homes under 10k... the city was begging for people to put down roots.

Remember the Yahoo and others similar companies are in region unlike anywhere else... part could be guilt for the bounties received??? just a thought.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:53 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
^^^ May I ask if your experience is California or outside California?

My experience is limited to the SF Bay Area which may or may not be different from other regions.

Voluntarily Cashing out is a way of life for many retired... not in the least are they forced to move... but selling a 1950 home for 500k and moving to the South and buying a nice brick home with some land and putting 300k in the bank holds appeal... several that come to mind are simply returning to where they were born after spending 40 years in California...

There are still places of incredible affordability... Michigan has tremendous bargains... I looked at solid brick homes under 10k... the city was begging for people to put down roots.

Remember the Yahoo and others similar companies are in region unlike anywhere else... part could be guilt for the bounties received??? just a thought.
Good points .

And most of the homeowners in Boyle heights are Hispanic I’m guessing. I could see them taking a big pay day and maybe moving to Mexico or out of state where it’s cheaper .

I know a lot of older Mexicans do go back to Mexico to retire .

Some people think that all minorities are renters and dirt poor . Not the case .

In fact the average long time homeowner is better off that those coffee shop owners that some are demonizing . I read an article about those guys . They aren’t wealthy . The guy that actually put up most of the money is Hispanic .

Definitely seen how affordable housing is . I purchased investment properties as low as under $20,000. In Texas and Florida and Western NY .

Midwest seems to be a good opportunity now especially Cleveland , Indianapolis.
These cities have been investing in their downtown areas too .

I think a lot of people in CA don’t realize what’s going on .

Last edited by jm1982; 03-09-2018 at 06:10 PM..

Old 03-09-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Good points .

And most of the homeowners in Boyle heights are Hispanic I’m guessing. I could see them taking a big pay day and maybe moving to Mexico or out of state where it’s cheaper .

I know a lot of older Mexicans do go back to Mexico to retire .

Some people think that all minorities are renters and dirt poor .
According to the article, 89% of the population in that area are renters. That is a massive ratio of renters to owners.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:15 PM

I'm not following...

The 88% of Boyle Heights renters are covered under Rent Control... and 75% of the population rents.

I wonder how many of the Housing Providers are minority?

https://csulauniversitytimes.com/110...boyle-heights/

The majority of rental properties with multiple units in Boyle Heights are protected by the Rent Stabilization Ordinance (RSO), which provides rent-control for multi-unit rental housing in the City that was built in 1978 or earlier. Yet, many residents don’t know that they’re protected and community leaders are making sure that everyone has the information they need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies