Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 09:48 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Oh boo-hoo. People move to California for jobs and good weather. They find it too expensive so they try to expand their territory by invading neighborhoods which they feel should be theirs. Because white hipster entitlement. They don't want to co-exist, they want to change it to what they want it to be. Otherwise just move there and leave it alone.

The latinos in this neighborhood have been there for years, it is their home and their culture. Braydon and Kelly in skinny jeans are eyeing it for their own selfish purposes and I don't blame these people for trying to protect their neighborhood.
Umm first of all not everyone in CA moved here from somewhere else . Not everyone is a transplant .

Also fun fact about Boyle heights did you know it actually used to be diverse ? It wasn’t always like 95 percent Hispanic . It used to have a huge Jewish community too .

They don’t want to co exist ? Based on what evidence ? It’s more that the anti white radicals don’t want to coexist with whites . They don’t even want them to visit . There is evidence of this .

Braydon and Kelly in skinny jeans ? Nice stereotype.

Just as bad as saying “Tyrone with his pants sagging down on welfare . “

It’s a free country people should have a right to live where they want . Plus there are fair housing laws that you can’t discriminate based on people’s race .

You sound like a very prejudiced person .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
That has nothing to do with the topic of gentrification unless the black families are shutting down businesses and planning to open Chai bars and pet massage spas. The gangs should refocus on the real enemy.
Huh ? What white people are shutting down businesses ?

Can any white person just go to a business and shut it down ?

Didn’t realize that was one of the many benefits of white privilege , lol .

If there is a demand for Chai bars and pet massage spas let them open . Maybe some of the radicals can get jobs at the pet massage place and give a nice hot stone massage to some poodles .
The chai might also help them chill out a bit .

Old 03-07-2018, 09:53 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Why do you assume that the protestors are living on entitlements? Maybe they work full time, but just have a hard time in making ends meet?
Work more. Many of us grew up with full-time jobs and part-time jobs in the evening or on the weekends. By the sweat of our brow we lifted our self up. We were too tired and didn't have spare time to protest. Besides protesting isn't gonna lift you outta poverty. Ain't no employers standing on the curb looking for protestors to offer jobs to. It don't work that way.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:53 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
no, if you read the article, these people are almost all renters

they're overwhelmingly young. they can't afford to buy or rent anymore, in the neighborhoods they grew up in. Around there, and in many places, the labor market has no relationship to the housing costs. Local workers can't afford local houses. This is a problem with *our particular form of* capitalism across the developed world.
Young unskilled men unable to find fair-wage work because you get a pile of illegals to work those jobs for much much less.

This of course disproportionately impacts poorer urbanites which are invariably a higher % of minorities.

Maybe someday and wake up that the sh*t being shoveled at them about illegals is really just cover for providing corporations piles of cheap labor to prop up their bottom lines.

One masterful con-job.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:05 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Texas is in the motion of removing property taxes all together.
They are looking to transfer that cost to a VAT, so everyone has direct skin in the game, with no one getting a pass. There will be no winners and there will be no losers, to complain about.
I have lived in a country with VAT and the property taxes were very low... so low that no one even talked about them... basically it was a fee for snow removal and road maintenance.

The big expense being Education was not funded by Property Tax... so that is half the bill right there many places.

Also, no assessments for public transit, sports stadiums, etc...

Old 03-07-2018, 10:08 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Umm first of all not everyone in CA moved here from somewhere else . Not everyone is a transplant .

Also fun fact about Boyle heights did you know it actually used to be diverse ? It wasn’t always like 95 percent Hispanic . It used to have a huge Jewish community too .

They don’t want to co exist ? Based on what evidence ? It’s more that the anti white radicals don’t want to coexist with whites . They don’t even want them to visit . There is evidence of this .

Braydon and Kelly in skinny jeans ? Nice stereotype.

Just as bad as saying “Tyrone with his pants sagging down on welfare . “

It’s a free country people should have a right to live where they want . Plus there are fair housing laws that you can’t discriminate based on people’s race .

You sound like a very prejudiced person .
Except we are talking about different things. I would not refer to Tyrone's pants because he is black but because he is of a certain type, plenty of whites with slippy pants too. And I would not want them coming to my neighborhood intending to change it. Race is irrelevant, but it is always majority white HIPSTERS coming in and bringing their way of life upon these neighborhoods and opportunistic developers to follow.

I know about this as invaders from neighboring states push in on my area, we don't fight, we flee so when I see actual protest in action I respect that. We experience two effects - wealthy buying up land and building gated HOA developments, and the effects of gentrification in nearby city pushing undesirables to our suburb bringing crime with it.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Young unskilled men unable to find fair-wage work because you get a pile of illegals to work those jobs for much much less.

This of course disproportionately impacts poorer urbanites which are invariably a higher % of minorities.

Maybe someday and wake up that the sh*t being shoveled at them about illegals is really just cover for providing corporations piles of cheap labor to prop up their bottom lines.

One masterful con-job.
True. Rents are also higher due to demand from illegals .

Of course we never ever hear about this mentioned in the mainstream media .

Liberals in liberal cities are trained and to believe that illegals are all amazing people .. just here for the American Dream !

Old 03-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Except we are talking about different things. I would not refer to Tyrone's pants because he is black but because he is of a certain type, plenty of whites with slippy pants too. And I would not want them coming to my neighborhood intending to change it. Race is irrelevant, but it is always majority white HIPSTERS coming in and bringing their way of life upon these neighborhoods and opportunistic developers to follow.

I know about this as invaders from neighboring states push in on my area, we don't fight, we flee so when I see actual protest in action I respect that. We experience two effects - wealthy buying up land and building gated HOA developments, and the effects of gentrification in nearby city pushing undesirables to our suburb bringing crime with it.
The truth is you are stereotyping as much as you don’t want to admit it .

You have no idea who is even moving in . How do you know they are “mostly white hipsters in skinny jeans” you don’t know . You are just stereotyping and making generalizations.

Even if white hipsters are moving in they would be a tiny tiny minority among the 95% Hispanic population .

Some white hipsters in skinny jeans that moved there supposedly because they couldn’t afford other areas according to you is going to overthrow decades of Hispanic culture and “way of life” in the area .

Think about that and ask if you believe that . It’s a really absurd thing to say.

“Oh no we can’t make menudo anymore or play mariachi music anymore ... because that white hipster in skinny jeans moved into the area “

Please think about what you are saying .

Old 03-07-2018, 10:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Nah. This sort of disconnect between wages and land/housing is prevalent across the developed world, even in cities where illegal immigrants are rare.

The problem, in my opinion, is caused less by the flow and movement of people, and more by the flow and movement of capital. In highly-developed capitalist societies (America, Europe, Japan, etc.), we treat land as a financial investment, in the sense that we have a regulatory system that encourages very intense capitalization of land. (i.e. expensive and encumbered by debt)

And this system may be efficient in certain ways, but that efficiency does not account well for the more traditional and race/class/history-based views of land rights that will naturally be popular among the poor and non-property-owning.

Last edited by le roi; 03-07-2018 at 10:39 AM..

Old 03-07-2018, 10:33 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I wonder who Yahoo News sees as their target consumer of articles like that? It's probably the exact same group that the radicals being promoted are targeting for intimidation. Do young white hipsters admire the people who hate them?
not to be trite... but...

to answer your question, if those young white hipsters went to American colleges, they likely hate themselves...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies