Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 02:17 PM

20,859 posts, read 9,518,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My question is still unanswered:

Will excluding Canada and other countries from the tariffs essentially cause nothing to happen?
We also import a lot of steel from Brazil. The interesting thing about Brazil is, they have a reciprocal tariff policy of, whatever the tariff of a country is, Brazil imposes the exact same tariff on the exact same product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 02:19 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
We also import a lot of steel from Brazil. The interesting thing about Brazil is, they have a reciprocal tariff policy of, whatever the tariff of a country is, Brazil imposes the exact same tariff on the exact same product.
Actually Brazil highly regulates imports. For many many items, if it isn't manufactured there, it can't be easily sold there. Automobiles, IT equipment (of all types), appliances, etc. are all examples.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Actually Brazil highly regulates imports. For many many items, if it isn't manufactured there, it can't be easily sold there. Automobiles, IT equipment (of all types), appliances, etc. are all examples.
Ah yes, and we all want to be like Brazil, don't we.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:33 PM

Typical middle-class street scene in Brazil
Typical middle-class street scene in USA

The choice is yours.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:34 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
I guess it does make sense, considering that conservative policies are basically turning our economy into brazil.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:40 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
There are places like that in the USA. Just like there are places like this.

http://unisci24.com/data_images/wlls...-sao-paulo.jpg

Most Americans, including you it seems are totally unaware of the prosperity that is also in Brazil. None of that would have been possible if they had limited themselves to mining resources and farming.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:40 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Quote:
Years ago I spent a very interesting hour watching a group of ultra-orthodox Israelis arguing at Charles de Gaulle about the dozens of suitcases they wanted loaded onto a Air France flight into Tel Aviv without having to pay extra baggage fees. Their opponent was an equally experienced young French woman at the check-in counter whose long pony waved as she repeated ... Non, non, non with her finger waving. Clearly both parties had been through this before, many times and were acting out their assigned roles.

Israeli friends would point to the entire stereo systems that they'd self-imported from Europe, all carefully fitted into suitcases.

Ben Gurion airport personnel, so I was told, considered anything crammed into a suitcase as "exempt" from the then-high protective import duties and closed their eyes to a national pastime.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
There are places like that in the USA.
No, there is not anything anywhere in the US remotely like that.

The worst, most-crime prone neighborhoods in Detroit look like this. East St Louis (which is largely abandoned these days) looks like this. Probably the most decrepit city in the US (that I know of) is Camden, which looks like this.

Quote:
Just like there are places like this.

http://unisci24.com/data_images/wlls...-sao-paulo.jpg
Do you know what those forests of high-rises in Brazil look like close up? They tend to look like this. And I note I chose a scene in Curitiba, which is one of Brazil's nicest big cities. And it's not bad, I suppose, but it's still pretty dumpy compared to a similar scene in, say, Chicago.

Quote:
Most Americans, including you it seems are totally unaware of the prosperity that is also in Brazil. None of that would have been possible if they had limited themselves to mining resources and farming.
I am quite aware there are prosperous areas of Brazil, but at best they tend to be as nice as the middle-class areas of the US. And to infer that Brazil is a preferable place to live, with a preferable economy, compared to the US, is a complete joke.

Last edited by James Bond 007; 03-08-2018 at 03:16 PM..

Old 03-08-2018, 05:58 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
One must take such speculation with a grain of salt, but I did see an opinion article the other day, in which the author opined that President Trump may well be making this tariff threat in order to ensure that the Republican candidate for the Special Election next week (PA-18) wins. I read it on Kindle, and so do not have a link. No doubt one can find it, if interested.

PA-18 is a 'working man' district, that has been a reliable Republican district. Many in said district would welcome a tariff on steel or aluminum. See "Google" for PA-18.

Of course, the reader will know why this special election is necessary. No need for salacious details, or mention of ultimate hypocrisy.

From what I have read, President Trump, today, signed the 'tariff', which begins, oddly, in two weeks (actually, 15 days) time. He can, of course, reverse such before the expiration of that time.

We shall see.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:01 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
And now there is a new AL jobs in Kentucky.
Just like there were going to be new jobs at Carrier in 2017. Didn't happen then, won't happen now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies