Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 06:54 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Neither Tillerson, Carson, DeVos, or any of these characters know thing one about the agencies they are heading up. Without taking any time to figure out what's working and what isn't, they are tossing it all out.

It's as if they were following Bannon's plan to gut the whole thing.

Anybody want to bet that when the feathers settle, the 1% will own us all?
It looks like we may not have to worry about it. The constant turnover means Trump has to replace them with others who may actually be qualified or even no one. And even if he doesn't, they are so unqualified that they don't get anything meaningful accomplished anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 07:18 AM

45,590 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Yes. Key word is first do an audit. Trump came in with a budget that slashed departments he did not like.

If you really want to make a dent in budget you need to look at the military. Nothing done there but a big budget increase.
Do you have a problem with them running things as they see fit?

I would not have a problem decreasing unnecessary defense spending. But it is not up to me. If you want to claim that he is ramping up the defense dept. despite the debt, that's valid to me.

My whole problem with this thread, is that it's another mindless hit piece. A government agency is not wrecked because it is being downsized.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:21 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,500,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Do you have a problem with them running things as they see fit?

I would not have a problem decreasing unnecessary defense spending. But it is not up to me. If you want to claim that he is ramping up the defense dept. despite the debt, that's valid to me.

My whole problem with this thread, is that it's another mindless hit piece. A government agency is not wrecked because it is being downsized.
Like you said. I don't know as I am not there. Neither are you and neither do you. In fact the whole government is bloated is just an opinion. Yet here we all are posting.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:27 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
Whats the difference. Jared is apparently the real secretary of state.
Exactly.

Jared meets with Netenyahu and Jared goes to Mexico to meet with the Mexican president? And the guy doesn't even have a security clearance? What kind of circus is the head clown running?

Just imagine this scenario with either Obama or Hillary's in-laws. There would be such an outcry from the right. We would be flooded with conspiracy theories and claims of ethical lapses and violations. Amazing.

This jerry-rigged admin is really a mess and Tillerson is lousy at his so-called job. He should stand up to Trump and Kushner, or he should leave.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:28 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,232,697 times
This is just more biased Leftwing hate propaganda. These bloated bureacratic departments needed some downsizing. No administration did anything until now.

This is another example of how great Trump’s presidency is. Making changes to the government that’s gotten too big and wasteful that many people and politicians have complained about but never do anything about it once they get in office. This administration finally is doing something about it.

Of course the Leftist haters will attack it.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:36 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
I support Tillerson. He has an awful lot of experience and knows needless expense when he sees it. And in the Department of State there is a lot.

Ambassadors to the various countries have little to do with US policy. Shirley Temple (Black) was once an Ambassador. Her Story.
I'm sure she was a wise, gracious person who represented our country and our citizens well. But she had nothing to do with world peace.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:38 AM

45,590 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Like you said. I don't know as I am not there. Neither are you and neither do you. In fact the whole government is bloated is just an opinion. Yet here we all are posting.
We do see the financials... which is why I would not have a problem downsizing defense as well. And as much as the private sector has to adjust with the times, the government should not be immune.

I think a big problem we have in this country - on both sides - is taking clues from people in the media with an axe to grind. I'm guilty of this as well - but I am trying to minimize it as much as possible and just be true to me, and use some common sense.

Yesterday it was steel tariff day for me - and finding out what the real issue may be, and watching it unfold.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:39 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,702 times
Maybe instead of wrecking, it is a good thing to be cutting staff in a bloated department.

In 2000 the State Department budget was 8.2 billion
In 2017 the State Department budget was 25.4 billion

Last edited by Eeyore1954; 03-08-2018 at 07:55 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 07:54 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
If the cuts were directed at bloated departments, defense spending would take a huge hit.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:58 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If the cuts were directed at bloated departments, defense spending would take a huge hit.
I am sure the defense department has bloat also but it has increased by a much smaller percentage since 2000 than the state department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies