Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 07:22 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
then I guess I'm missing the point. If half the people in the US own guns then it's obvious that people other than Republicans must own some of them since 45 percent of adults self-identify as Democrats or say they are independents who lean Democratic, while 38 percent identify as Republicans or lean Republican.

My husband and I own guns and we are both Democrats. Neither of us would ever support some kind of mass seizure of guns but we have no respect for the NRA because we feel they abandoned their members and became pimps for gun manufacturers. And we don't think that everyone in the US should be able to buy/possess semi-automatic weapons that are capable of using high capacity magazines and that one solution would be better vetting for the purchase or possession of those guns. Nor do we condone transfers of guns without a NICS check and those happen all the time at Reno gun shows, you don't have to be a dealer to operate a booth and as long as the buyer has a Nevada ID they can buy a gun from a seller who is not a dealer with no background check. And we aren't 'liberal elites' who don't know anything about guns. My husband was on the USMC pistol team and is a decorated combat vet who served two tours in Vietnam.

I think that if we could try to get past the partisanship we would find that most people can agree on many issues, but when we reduce every argument to us vs them nothing will ever be solved.
The TRUTH is that most firearm transfers (read buy and sell) still happen in people garages. What is a NICS check/BGC going to do about that? The TRUTH is that most owners of firearms have never been to a "gun show", don't understand the ridiculous myriad of gun laws and never will. Nor should they have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 07:26 AM

89,010 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
No. When a mother says to her child, "Times up" does that mean she wants to kill her child. Using the same phrase means different things in different in different situations. It depends on how the phrase is used and who is using it. You are simply trying to avoid the serious nature of a terrorist threat by an organization that has too much power and too many politicians in their pocket (BTW, that does not mean they have politicians literally in their pockets). Cheers.
OK, you win. Hollywood actresses are terrorists and they've threatened to kill all the males in the film industry.

Seriously... The NRA deliberately used the exact same phraseology because they knew stupid liberals would react hysterically, thus exposing themselves as the hypocrites they are. If one group says "Time's Up," another group can say the same.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:27 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The TRUTH is that most firearm transfers (read buy and sell) still happen in people garages. What is a NICS check/BGC going to do about that? The TRUTH is that most owners of firearms have never been to a "gun show", don't understand the ridiculous myriad of gun laws and never will. Nor should they have to.
I'm not sure if most firearms transfers fit that criteria, but it's certainly a huge number. nearly all of mine were purchased that way.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:31 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I'm not sure if most firearms transfers fit that criteria, but it's certainly a huge number. nearly all of mine were purchased that way.
I'm sure it's not as many as it used to be but most people who know each other aren't going to spend an extra 100 bucks to xfer a firearm if they don't have to. States like CA have such ridiculously expensive rules to buy a firearm it's a joke. Try and buy one online now and the fees rack up. I sold a .22 derringer style handgun and the fees matched the price of the weapon.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:32 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
So, they are calling their fellow dems, terrorist? Or are no dems part of the NRA?

Old 03-09-2018, 07:35 AM

89,010 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, they are calling their fellow dems, terrorist? Or are no dems part of the NRA?
They're doubling down on the "deplorables" label that cost them the 2016 election. Just let them run with it and alienate even more formerly Dem voters. The GOP will be happy to preserve their 2nd Amendment Rights.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:40 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/ABCPoliti...15654057676800

He’s not the only one. Many Dem politicians have flat out said it
I don't think the NRA is a terrorist organization. But I do consider them to be tone deaf to modern realities.

The United States has far too many shootings and homicides compared to other western countries, and this is not just including mass shootings. That is why I don't support 2nd Amendment rights for all U.S. citizens. There need to be conditions and restrictions for gun ownership and access. There needs to be more gun control, done sensibly.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:43 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
OK, you win. Hollywood actresses are terrorists and they've threatened to kill all the males in the film industry.

Seriously... The NRA deliberately used the exact same phraseology because they knew stupid liberals would react hysterically, thus exposing themselves as the hypocrites they are. If one group says "Time's Up," another group can say the same.
If that's what you want to believe then I cannot stop you. Have a great day!

Old 03-09-2018, 07:46 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't think the NRA is a terrorist organization. But I do consider them to be tone deaf to modern realities.

The United States has far too many shootings and homicides compared to other western countries, and this is not just including mass shootings. That is why I don't support 2nd Amendment rights for all U.S. citizens. There need to be conditions and restrictions for gun ownership and access. There needs to be more gun control, done sensibly.
There are already many conditions and restrictions for gun ownership, and access. There are 22,000 gun laws on the books already. One more won't matter.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:55 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They happen everywhere, but that doesn't mean it's ok. I singled out an example of a gun show because I've witnessed what happens there, but there are other examples: Reno Police Officer sold a gun with no background check to a mentally disturbed kid in Starbucks but not much happened to her because the transaction was completely legal, however she was demoted for conducting a business transaction while on duty. More facts emerge on Reno cop's gun sale to young man with mental illness | KUNR

Why would anyone feel their 2A rights were being compromised because they had to have a NICS check to buy a gun? But even more significantly, why bother doing any background checks if 22% are being sold without one? Firearm Acquisition Without Background Checks | Annals of Internal Medicine | American College of Physicians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies