Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 06:49 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times

Advertisements

Elon Musk goes on tweetstorm, siding with Trump over tariffs | Fox News

I know “trade war, trade war, trade war....”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 06:58 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
I love how he said he raised this issue with the prior administration and nothing was done. Nothing would have been done with the last four administrations. It reminds me of how politicians get comfortable in their ideas and refuse to see that maybe they’re wrong. It’s just the way things are.

I remember reading that Steve Jobs got so mad at Obama because he was always saying what we can’t do. People like Musk and Jobs look at the world and say how can we get this done.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:59 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Elan mentioned the low tariff on cars imported into the US from China.

That made me wonder - what cars are being made in China and imported into the USA.

Here's the answer:
Some models of Buick, Cadillac, Volvo as well as the Ford Focus.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/cars-made-in-china

Old 03-09-2018, 07:02 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Musk is smart enough to know Trump's real goal. We are facing unfairly high tariffs from many countries. By doing this it enables us to negotiate from a position of strength forcing them to lower their tariffs, and we will lower ours. Trump made it clear it is a country, by country negotiation.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:04 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I love how he said he raised this issue with the prior administration and nothing was done. Nothing would have been done with the last four administrations. It reminds me of how politicians get comfortable in their ideas and refuse to see that maybe they’re wrong. It’s just the way things are.

I remember reading that Steve Jobs got so mad at Obama because he was always saying what we can’t do. People like Musk and Jobs look at the world and say how can we get this done.
Obama spent most of his time going to, and speaking at Democrat fund raisers, and campaigning for Democrats. He really didn't do much executive work for the country, which was fine with me. He was LAZY. Trump is actually leading, and managing.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:19 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Obama spent most of his time going to, and speaking at Democrat fund raisers, and campaigning for Democrats. He really didn't do much executive work for the country, which was fine with me. He was LAZY. Trump is actually leading, and managing.
Obama was a poser. Trump is an actual president doing the job he was elected to do.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:43 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Elan mentioned the low tariff on cars imported into the US from China.

That made me wonder - what cars are being made in China and imported into the USA.

Here's the answer:
Some models of Buick, Cadillac, Volvo as well as the Ford Focus.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/cars-made-in-china
There may be a few cars imported from China. But to me the bigger point is that free trade is good for everyone. Take cars as an example:

I remember the 1980's, when Japanese car makers started really taking market share in the US. It was a huge threat to the US Big 3 auto companies. We could have slapped huge tariffs on the Japanese in order to protect US products.

But look where we are today. Most of the Japanese cars sold in the US are assembled here, providing millions of American jobs. The quality of these products is excellent, and the challenge caused American manufacturers to greatly improve the quality of their own products. Win/Win.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:43 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
No one likes change but in some cases it is necessary and in the long run beneficial.

Imagine if Trumps vision for America of enforcing immigration laws, growing the economy, making America a powerhouse in the world again both with trade and military and he actually "Makes America Great Again" and we as well as the world that gets on board the Trump train benefits.

It is possible but all the Dems see is doom and gloom. They are scared of Trump and frightened of change.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:46 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post

Obama was a bought & paid for globalist, more happy to go kiss royal ass in the UK, and making apologies for America, than being concerned about the America worker.

The fact that he actively campaigned against BRexit, speaks volumes about where he stood on the matter. (and ironically helping to get it passed instead)

Old 03-09-2018, 08:33 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
There may be a few cars imported from China. But to me the bigger point is that free trade is good for everyone. Take cars as an example:

I remember the 1980's, when Japanese car makers started really taking market share in the US. It was a huge threat to the US Big 3 auto companies. We could have slapped huge tariffs on the Japanese in order to protect US products.

But look where we are today. Most of the Japanese cars sold in the US are assembled here, providing millions of American jobs. The quality of these products is excellent, and the challenge caused American manufacturers to greatly improve the quality of their own products. Win/Win.
But if the US automakers weren’t protected by a tariff on pick-up trucks (their biggest sellers), would they have survived?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies