Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 01:05 PM

88,729 posts, read 44,496,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
In which universe is Gorsuch considered to ba a moderate? We are doomed as a country. Any notions of equality or fairness are now gone.
Trump is likely to appoint a Constitutionalist (which ALL SCOTUS Justices have sworn to be, but some fall way short of abiding by their Oaths). How does the Constitution preclude equality and fairness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

17,390 posts, read 11,924,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The winning just doesn't stop!
I know, right? My husband called this morning to share the ruling about unions. I just called him with this news.

We're popping champagne tonight!!!

4,472 posts, read 3,808,419 times
Man, news for liberals keep getting worse.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:06 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,787,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Jenkins View Post
if you thought TDS was bad before, hold on tight, its about to get a whole lot worse. if ginsberg ever croaks it will be armageddon for the left.
I never wish anyone death and won't.... But I hope cameras are rolling when Trump selects a conservative Justice if Ginsburg passes away...

Old 06-27-2018, 01:06 PM

32,984 posts, read 12,266,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
SCOTUS job isn't to define or promote "majority sentiment." Their sole responsibility, and the Oath of Office to which they've sworn, requires them to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic."

Uphold the Constitution. That's it. Legislating from the Bench based on "majority sentiment" is a violation of their Oath.
^^^^^

Generally, beat me to it.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:07 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,473,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
In which universe is Gorsuch considered to ba a moderate? We are doomed as a country. Any notions of equality or fairness are now gone. Kennedy should have hung on for a few more years.

I never said that Gorsuch is a "moderate". I said he is a strict constructionis who is committed to interpreting the constitution as written, and not rubber stamping a certain party's ideological agenda, like the Democrat nominees routinely do.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:08 PM

17,300 posts, read 11,160,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
at least two picks - Clarence Thomas has talked about wanting to retire and RBG can't hold out much longer
Oh I don't know. RBG will hold out as long as she can. She could outlive all of us and Trump too. I think she's made that her goal.

3,164 posts, read 1,713,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I never said that Gorsuch is a "moderate". I said he is a strict constructionis who is committed to interpreting the constitution as written, and not rubber stamping a certain party's ideological agenda, like the Democrat nominees routinely do.
Meaning that he rules by 18th century standards?

20,187 posts, read 23,787,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Jenkins View Post
why, you think he will be assassinated?
No... I mean cameras on the media to see their tears...

21,989 posts, read 15,648,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
With Anthony Kennedy retiring, it's very likely that he will be replaced with a staunch religious conservative and that Roe v Wade and Obergefell v Hodges could be on their last legs. This means legal abortion and marriage equality might not be around much longer. There is also potential for the ban on forced school prayer and Bible reading to be overturned if the Christian Right are able to accomplish everything they want.

So while this development will be much celebrated by 40% of the country and is in fact the culmination of what they have been working towards since the late 1970s, it's likely there will be significant resistance from the left and socially liberal independents.

How do you think this will shake out? Do you think we could be moving towards more state-control of civil rights issues? I doubt abortion or marriage equality will ever be banned nationwide but there is a strong chance we could see a situation where in red states, abortion is illegal and marriage is defined between a man and a woman while things remain as they are in blue states. We will probably see a similar thing when it comes to religion in the classroom. It's also possible that we might start to see progressive-minded people who don't want Christianity forced on them to flee the red states while conservatives in blue states who would prefer to live in a theocracy might migrate en masse to states like Oklahoma or Tennessee.
Republicans always wanted A Handmaids Tale, I’m guessing they’ll try for that via the SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies