Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 01:08 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
With an upcoming presidential election, they should wait. Follow the Mitch plan.
That is not the Mitch plan. Mitch and the GOP explicitly said wait until after the election so that the NEXT president could select. Their comments, thus, referred to presidential elections, not to midterms. Note, Kagan was confirmed months before the 2010 midterms. Thus, I say give the next nominee the Kagan treatment

Moving on, I'm curious to see if the Kennedy retirement will lead McCain to step down given that the GOP cannot afford to really lose any votes and given that he will likely not be in attendance to vote. If McCain steps down now (as opposed to months ago), the GOP AZ governor can name a temporary placeholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 01:09 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A ridiculous claim with nothing at all to back it up.

And it's not sad; it's great!
It's certainly an exaggeration - but he has stated many times through his life that he is not a reader of books.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he has rarely, if ever, finished a book from cover to cover.

I personally find that to be a bit embarrassing in a leader, but that's just me.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:12 PM

88,998 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Are you a bot?

How do you understand language if not by interpretation of the words you read or hear?
The word you're looking for is comprehension, not "interpretation."

Reading comprehension. Not reading "interpretation." Interpretation is used when reading allegorical works, for example. The US Constitution is not an allegorical document.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:24 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Chris Matthews is mad as hell about Justice Kennedy, takes it out on co-workers

"The real issue is this: Democrats are going to have to vote, because there's no procedural way to stop it before the midterm election. And there's just too many people who are running in elections, senators, in states that Donald Trump won," Goldstein said. "There's going to be enormous pressure on them, since they can't beat the nominee, to vote for the nominee. So I'll take Chris' bet at 10-to-one."

He concluded by predicting Trump’s eventual pick to replace Kennedy would probably win confirmation by a 56-44 vote. But Matthews was having none of it.

"What you just said sir, is not acceptable politically to the Democratic base!" he shouted, sounding unusually angry and passionate. Matthews predicted the "implosion" of the Democratic leadership if the confirmation goes through at all. "It's not acceptable to accept this is a fait accompli, which you just did."

Old 06-28-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The word you're looking for is comprehension, not "interpretation."

Reading comprehension. Not reading "interpretation."
Nope, I'm looking for the word interpretation. Or "the action of explaining the meaning of something."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...interpretation
Quote:
1: the act or the result of interpreting : explanation
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/interpreting
Quote:
1: to explain or tell the meaning of : present in understandable terms

And the word comprehension includes the same exact concept:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict.../comprehension
Quote:
1a : the act or action of grasping with the intellect : understanding
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict.../understanding
Quote:
1 : a mental grasp : comprehension
2 a : the power of comprehending; especially : the capacity to apprehend general relations of particulars
b : the power to make experience intelligible by applying concepts and categories
3 a : friendly or harmonious relationship
b : an agreement of opinion or feeling : adjustment of differences
c : a mutual agreement not formally entered into but in some degree binding on each side
4 : explanation, interpretation

Comprehension and interpretation are just synonymous ways of describing the same concept that is needed to understand and explain language that you read/hear.

Which is what Supreme Court justices need to do to uphold and defend the Constitution. If they cannot comprehend, interpret, understand, or explain the Constitution, then they have failed the most basic requirement of the job.

Quote:
Interpretation is used when reading allegorical works, for example. The US Constitution is not an allegorical document.
As mentioned previously, the Constitution contains a variation of specificity in it. Yes, there are sections that are quite clear. While there are other areas that are not as clear and are
(intentionally) nonspecific in nature.

It is for this reason that I believe there is no such thing as a 100% "literal" reading of the Constitution. How can there be when there are parts of the document that are nonspecific in nature?

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 06-28-2018 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 01:26 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
The lesser of two evils? From now on, any comments you make about Trump running the country will get the amount of credence they deserve.
Why? Because I didn't like both of them? If Hillary won I would be complaining about her as well.

By the way I have said I would give Trump credit where credit is due.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Chris Matthews is mad as hell about Justice Kennedy, takes it out on co-workers

"The real issue is this: Democrats are going to have to vote, because there's no procedural way to stop it before the midterm election. And there's just too many people who are running in elections, senators, in states that Donald Trump won," Goldstein said. "There's going to be enormous pressure on them, since they can't beat the nominee, to vote for the nominee. So I'll take Chris' bet at 10-to-one."

He concluded by predicting Trump’s eventual pick to replace Kennedy would probably win confirmation by a 56-44 vote. But Matthews was having none of it.

"What you just said sir, is not acceptable politically to the Democratic base!" he shouted, sounding unusually angry and passionate. Matthews predicted the "implosion" of the Democratic leadership if the confirmation goes through at all. "It's not acceptable to accept this is a fait accompli, which you just did."
Too bad, Chris... It'll be even worse for the incumbent Dem Senators running for re-election in red states if the nomination isn't confirmed before the election. Those red state voters will be angry at being betrayed and will vote them out. The Dems will lose those Senate seats.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Nope, I'm looking for the word interpretation.
No. That's why the SAT, ACT, GRE, etc., ALL test Reading Comprehension.

Interpretation is too vague and variable, dependent upon and influenced by the reader's pre-conceived opinions and emotional feelings. That's not the intention of the US Constitution. It's not "whatever you feel." It's a universal standard applied to all.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
No. That's why the SAT, ACT, GRE, etc., ALL test Reading Comprehension.

Interpretation is too vague and variable, dependent upon and influenced by the reader's pre-conceived opinions and emotional feelings. That's not the intention of the US Constitution. It's not "whatever you feel." It's a universal standard applied to all.
Speaking of "comprehension"...did you just stop reading there?

Example A of how language can be misinterpreted!

We've been through this song and dance before, so we're likely at an impasse for now.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:49 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I say the same thing, she is a robot along with Tom Cruise and Jennifer Anniston.

Can't believe she is only 85, I thought she was at least 110. Poor thing, age hasn't been good to her.
And she has some form of pancreatic cancer for years that is treatable. I don't agree with her politically but man she is a tough cookie. You have to admire her for her strength and tenacity. Ginsberg will NEVER step down. They will carry her out of her chambers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies