Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 10:32 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Just saw a story that two members of the SWAT team did enter the school in an attempt to find the gunman.

They've both been suspended pending disciplinary action because apparently the "don't enter the school" was a serious thing.

So now that's 5 officers who could have helped and didn't or were told not to. But yeah, it's about gun laws.
According to this, they were suspended for responding to the call. I don't see where they entered the building.
Quote:
The officers did not have permission to respond to the shooting at Parkland on Feb. 14, when 17 people were killed.

And that created an officer safety issue and left them unaccountable for their actions, according to their police department.
It appears they went there without telling anyone. I'm not saying they were wrong or right, just that it doesn't appear they were suspended for entering the school building unless that information is in anotehr story. It sucks that these guys wanted to help, but the one POS who was on site as the shooting happened couldn't be bothered to go in.

Here's the link

Two Miramar SWAT officers suspended for heading to Parkland massacre - Sun Sentinel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Just saw a story that two members of the SWAT team did enter the school in an attempt to find the gunman.

They've both been suspended pending disciplinary action because apparently the "don't enter the school" was a serious thing.

So now that's 5 officers who could have helped and didn't or were told not to. But yeah, it's about gun laws.
I keep looking at different news stories, and I have to say I think you just shared fake news.

1.) I don't see where they entered the building.
2.) They were taken off SWAT duty, but are still on the payroll doing their other duties
Quote:
The detectives’ suspension only applies to the SWAT team, said Rues, adding that they’ll remain on active duty for other assignments.
from https://nypost.com/2018/03/08/swat-m...rida-massacre/

And by fake news, I mean news that is not real, not news that the president just dislikes.

From Blue Lives Matter

Quote:
A Miramar PD spokesperson told Blue Lives Matter, "Miramar PD had numerous officers and a victim advocate respond, without incident. The two SWAT officers temporarily suspended from the SWAT team, but not active duty, were not suspended for responding, but for NOT advising that they responded. They did not advise prior to self-dispatching, during the incident, nor immediately following. This is an officer safety issue, a violation of policy and goes against incident command training and the best practices learned from other mass casualty / shooting incidents."
https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesma...dBbSGKA?full=1

Here are some other links I went to looking for what you said you heard.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...land-shooting/
Two Florida SWAT officers suspended for responding to Parkland shooting | TheHill

Old 03-10-2018, 07:16 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I keep looking at different news stories, and I have to say I think you just shared fake news.

1.) I don't see where they entered the building.
2.) They were taken off SWAT duty, but are still on the payroll doing their other duties

from https://nypost.com/2018/03/08/swat-m...rida-massacre/

And by fake news, I mean news that is not real, not news that the president just dislikes.

From Blue Lives Matter

https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesma...dBbSGKA?full=1

Here are some other links I went to looking for what you said you heard.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...land-shooting/
Two Florida SWAT officers suspended for responding to Parkland shooting | TheHill
Seeing how you're opening up to the big picture of parkland, what's your take on this?
https://www.realclearinvestigations...._shooting.html

Quote:
Despite committing a string of arrestable offenses on campus before the Florida school shooting, Nikolas Cruz was able to escape the attention of law enforcement, pass a background check and purchase the weapon he used to slaughter three staff members and 14 fellow students because of Obama administration efforts to make school discipline more lenient.

Documents reviewed by RealClearInvestigations and interviews show that his school district in Florida’s Broward County was in the vanguard of a strategy, adopted by more than 50 other major school districts nationwide, allowing thousands of troubled, often violent, students to commit crimes without legal consequence. The aim was to slow the "school-to-prison pipeline."

“He had a clean record, so alarm bells didn’t go off when they looked him up in the system,” veteran FBI agent Michael Biasello told RCI. “He probably wouldn’t have been able to buy the murder weapon if the school had referred him to law enforcement."

Disclosures about the strategy add a central new element to the Parkland shooting story: It's not just one of official failings at many levels and of America's deep divide over guns, but also one of deliberate federal policy gone awry.

In 2013, the year before Cruz entered high school, the Broward County school system rewrote its discipline policy to make it much more difficult for administrators to suspend or expel problem students, or for campus police to arrest them for misdemeanors– including some of the crimes Cruz allegedly committed in the years and months leading up to the deadly Feb. 14 shooting at his Fort Lauderdale-area school.

The new policy resulted from an Obama administration effort begun in 2011 to keep students in school and improve racial outcomes (timeline here), and came against a backdrop of other efforts to rein in perceived excesses in "zero tolerance" discipline policies, including in Florida.

Broward school Superintendent Robert W. Runcie
– a Chicagoan and Harvard graduate with close ties to President Obama and his Education Department – signed an agreement with the county sheriff and other local jurisdictions to trade cops for counseling. Students charged with various misdemeanors, including assault, would now be disciplined through participation in “healing circles,” obstacle courses and other “self-esteem building” exercises.
There's that good feels inneffective BS that protects criminals in the name of diversity and equality.
So what if you have violent tendencies, you shouldn't be punished for them, you should be accepted as simply misunderstood and in need of some therapy and self esteem building excercises through healing circles.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:19 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Seeing how you're opening up to the big picture of parkland, what's your take on this?
https://www.realclearinvestigations...._shooting.html

There's that good feels inneffective BS that protects criminals in the name of diversity and equality.
So what if you have violent tendencies, you shouldn't be punished for them, you should be accepted as simply misunderstood and in need of some therapy and self esteem building excercises through healing circles.

Amazing isn't it? Coddle the criminals, and lessen, or eliminate their penalties, but PUNISH the law abiding by passing more meaningless gun laws, or call for outright bans, and confiscation.

It is truly BIZARRO World.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Sensible gun control means following the laws already on the books, too. I'm not sure what you expected me to say. Florida screwed this up in several different ways. Making the age 21 to buy an assault rifle could have gone a long way to making those kids safer, too.

Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold wanted assault rifles, but could not get them legally due to the Brady Bill. (Source: Columbine, Dave Cullen)

Old 03-10-2018, 09:13 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Oh it gets better...

Do some research into the captain on the scene Jan Jordan 17S1 for the Ineptitude goes from the SRO to the top.

Go further and look at broward county schools and their little deal with police to keep kids in school by not charging them with crimes... (psst money makes the world go round, schools get federal funding by attendance )
Welcome to privilege in America. Those kids whose parents can get them out of trouble will...those kids whose parents don't have money for all that -- juvenile court, charges, etc.

DUH?!

Old 03-10-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Welcome to privilege in America. Those kids whose parents can get them out of trouble will...those kids whose parents don't have money for all that -- juvenile court, charges, etc.

DUH?!
This policy circumvented kids parents all together

Read the article I posted for Joe to read...

Old 03-10-2018, 09:34 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
This policy circumvented kids parents all together

Read the article I posted for Joe to read...
But the kids' parents pay taxes, elect the sheriff. In upper middle class schools it is understood that kids aren't 'charged' --

I don't know why this seems to be so complicated (don't have time to read the article but have lived in upper middle class areas and have kids in the school and have seen how it works).

Old 03-10-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Sensible gun control means following the laws already on the books, too. I'm not sure what you expected me to say. Florida screwed this up in several different ways. Making the age 21 to buy an assault rifle could have gone a long way to making those kids safer, too.

Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold wanted assault rifles, but could not get them legally due to the Brady Bill. (Source: Columbine, Dave Cullen)
While I have no expectations (can't be disappointed that way LOL) I would have at least thought you'd find outrage in a program that is counter productive and rewarding of bad behavior. But alas, without surprise, you chose to deflect back to firearms...

The program outlined in the article, instead of punishing violent miscreants, protects them from achieving a criminal record for their actions...

So I'll ask again, what say you of this program, without deflecting on firearms?
It was partly due to the program, that this scumbag could obtain the weapon...
See, there are already "common sense" gun laws on the books. If a program that was implemented to keep juveniles from getting violent offenses on their record with the intent to avoid "school to prison" there are MANY offenses this scumbag committed that would have resulted in a denial at time of sale.

But that message is lost on you and others...
Either you don't know. Or you don't care... your short sighted focal point is firearms.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But the kids' parents pay taxes, elect the sheriff. In upper middle class schools it is understood that kids aren't 'charged' --

I don't know why this seems to be so complicated (don't have time to read the article but have lived in upper middle class areas and have kids in the school and have seen how it works).
Read the article. This program, it has literally nothing to do with what you are trying to discuss. Literally nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies