Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 10:58 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Well, let me use this little example of why the "free market" will not do anything to protect you and me.

About a year or so ago, I went to a local chain grocery store, bought some hot dogs and put them in my cart. Moved to the produce section and started smelling something foul, really foul. Went to another section and the smell was still with me, so I smelled the hot dogs and they were absolutely rank !

I went back to the meat dept and smelled the other hot dogs, and other meat, and most of them smelled horrible, really spoiled. I found 3 employees (two management types with clipboards) and said "smell this meat". They did, and agreed it was spoiled. I told them more meat smelled bad too, and I went off to wash my hands because they smelled from touching the meat. The thanked me and promised to take care of it.

The next day, I went back for some canned goods, and I stopped by the meat dept to just check to see if they had removed the bad meat...........THEY HAD NOT ! It was still there and still stinking !!!!!!!! I went home, called the Board of Health, and the next day all the meat in that store was pulled out.

So much for the "free market" policing themselves.
What you should have done instead is to contact every media outlet in your area and also spread the word around online. I guarantee once they were exposed publicly things would've cleaned up instantly. They also would've developed a terrible reputation and their competitors would have benefitted.

Now they're only going to suffer mild consequences, if any at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 11:02 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
So why do you trust the government to do it?
Because in theory, the Government isn't doing health inspections for profit.

If you privatize something like health and safety inspections, the for-profit companies will all be vying for as much business as possible. For some, that will mean accepting bribes in addition to their inspection fee, as the end game of a privatized inspector would be repeat business and the most customers possible.

There are plenty of business owners out there who would probably pay an inspector a few extra bucks for a positive report, and then continue to use that inspector.

At least with government agencies, you can't choose which inspector turns up or even when they turn up (in my experience).

Old 03-10-2018, 11:07 AM

Confession Time:

At one of the hotels I worked in, when the inspector arrived they would ask for a list of vacant rooms. The manager used to manipulate the list that was printed to only include rooms in the renovated section, and rooms serviced by the very best housekeepers.

However, there was no 'hiding' issues with the food service areas (which, fwiw used to be scored separately and always scored exceptionally well), so that score at least was truly reflective.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
No, it did not prove your analogy.

Do you think that home buyers are going to slip the home inspector a couple of bucks to make a faulty report? What sense would that make? "Hey buddy, say that the roof is bad so that I can get the seller to replace it". The seller would simply get a roofing expert or inspector of their own who would find the roof to be fine and everybody would be back to square one - except the buyer would be out a couple of hundred extra bucks from bribing the inspector

As for bribing government health inspectors, I'm sure it happens, but I'm also sure that it is not nearly as rife as it would be in a privatized industry. A firm lacking integrity could just employ the company and inspector they know will take bribes.
Unethical people exist everywhere, in every walk of life.

My girlfriend is a chef; I know many chefs. They will all tell you that any restaurant owner with any semblance of intelligence isn't going to go out of their way to deliberately have a filthy kitchen and then pay someone to cover it up. That's business suicide, especially with social media and online restaurant reviews.

Besides, what in the world makes you think that government is somehow less corrupt and has less integrity than the private sector?

Old 03-10-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Unethical people exist everywhere, in every walk of life.

My girlfriend is a chef; I know many chefs. They will all tell you that any restaurant owner with any semblance of intelligence isn't going to go out of their way to deliberately have a filthy kitchen and then pay someone to cover it up. That's business suicide, especially with social media and online restaurant reviews.

Besides, what in the world makes you think that government is somehow less corrupt and has less integrity than the private sector?
See post #42

Old 03-10-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Because in theory, the Government isn't doing health inspections for profit.

If you privatize something like health and safety inspections, the for-profit companies will all be vying for as much business as possible. For some, that will mean accepting bribes in addition to their inspection fee, as the end game of a privatized inspector would be repeat business and the most customers possible.

There are plenty of business owners out there who would probably pay an inspector a few extra bucks for a positive report, and then continue to use that inspector.

At least with government agencies, you can't choose which inspector turns up or even when they turn up (in my experience).
In theory government serves the people.

For some, yes. But for the vast majority the private inspectors (some of which may be non-profit) will cherish their reputation and will be honest, as they know their competitors with higher reputations will gain from their dishonesty and will eventually put them out of business because of it.

There would be. Of course the consequences for cutting corners will eventually drive them out of business.

Fair point, but I've also seen government inspectors show up at inopportune times, such as in the middle of a lunch rush when the kitchen is a disaster. Then the restaurant gets bad marks.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
See post #42
I just have more faith in restaurant owners. They have so much more to lose by being unethical than most other business owners.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:17 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so now you have a problem with regulations OP? those of us that call for reduced regulations are not about eliminating them, just cutting them back to what is necessary. there are a ton of regulations that are either just job killers, or very outdated and have been superceded.
Awfully vague excuses for deregulation if you ask me. Examples please.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
What you should have done instead is to contact every media outlet in your area and also spread the word around online. I guarantee once they were exposed publicly things would've cleaned up instantly. They also would've developed a terrible reputation and their competitors would have benefitted.

Now they're only going to suffer mild consequences, if any at all.
I think the poster did the right thing.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:35 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
they are in my state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies