Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 06:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,511,667 times

Advertisements

I miss the days when the only people who were pissed off were the Hatfields and the McCoys - and everyone else thought they were nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 06:43 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,511,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what if the cop happens to be gay?
Or Muslim? Or a gay Muslim? Then they'd make it about intolerance.

It's all about branding.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:49 PM

15,588 posts, read 10,316,551 times
Police officers are working people who put on a uniform everyday like so many other public servants and this company decides to single out police officers to insult?

Police officers have many choices in other states to serve the public. many of us would be grateful to have them leave and serve in our city.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 03-09-2018 at 07:14 PM..

Old 03-09-2018, 06:51 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,096,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Police officers are working people who put on a uniform everyday like so many other public servants and this company decides to single out police officers?

Police officers have many choices for careers in other states to serve the public. many of us would be grateful to have them serve in our city.
Cops are unionized government tax leeches.

Private, free-market security is a much better idea.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:53 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,169,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Hasta Muerte Coffee is in the same neighborhood (Fruitvale) where Oscar Grant was killed by BART police. Fruitvale is an interesting place - a blue collar neighborhood under the threat of gentrification and tension between the locals and the police. Many locals complained of police harassment and of gentrification displacement.

This, to me, sounds like a brilliant business plan. These guys are starting a hip cafe serving expensive latte and pastry in a gentrifying neighborhood. Normally, it invites a lot of ridicule, protest, and even vandalism from the locals; who sees it as a place for the wealthier new comers. But this act of defiance against the cops actually makes them seem like they are repping the locals. From the yelp pictures, it looks like a place where long time locals happily mix with (obviously) new gentrifiers. That is every business persons' dream - they are literally pleasing everyone in the neighborhood. Except for the cops, but oh well.
This. I live in post gentrified Oakland or New Oakland and have never been to the Fruitvale neighborhood except driving through a few times and on BART so I do not know much about it. I do know it is a low income, mostly Latino area ripe for gentrification. It has a BART station and homes that can be gutted/renovated. This coffee shop appears to be for the higher income or first wave of new residents.

I personally do not agree with this policy. To the people claiming this is the same as a store refusing a gay couple you must understand that a gay person does not chose their sexual orientation where as a police officer does. Still, I think it is wrong but it does make for a smoother transition into what will, most likely, be a wealthy hood in the future. A Starbucks will simply replace it.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:56 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,496,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Cops are unionized government tax leeches.

Private, free-market security is a much better idea.
I normally don't have a problem with your posts, but I DO have a problem with the thought of "private free market security" (aka mercenaries) replacing public police.

The biggest problem I have with it is there would no longer be equal protection or blind justice. The rich would get all the police protection, and the poor wouldn't get any

Old 03-09-2018, 07:08 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,537,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I normally don't have a problem with your posts, but I DO have a problem with the thought of "private free market security" (aka mercenaries) replacing public police.

The biggest problem I have with it is there would no longer be equal protection or blind justice. The rich would get all the police protection, and the poor wouldn't get any
We could deputize ourselves and take over the rich estates.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:12 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,096,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post

That's not true. Free-market competition would lower costs and provide better service.

Private Policing Isn't a Fantasy

And much of the world already has private police security:

San Francisco's Private Police Force - Reason.com
Private Security Outnumbers The Police In Most Countries Worldwide | Forbes

Old 03-09-2018, 07:30 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,496,583 times
Quote:
That's not true. Free-market competition would lower costs and provide better service.

The San Francisco auxillary police are supplemental to the regular SFPD rather than in place of. SF still has taxpayer funded police, the auxillary police offer extra protection based on franchise contracts

Old 03-09-2018, 07:36 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,537,199 times
Quote:

The Mises Institute website has piqued my interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies