Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 01:16 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I am sure that is part of it, but I think he genuinely wants to honor our military, and our veterans who don't get much recognition for risking their lives for us.
After calling John McCain "not a war hero" for being captured? After taking five deferments to avoid Vietnam? Trump's grandfather was kicked out of Germany for not serving and Trump's ancestors have avoided military for at least the last 100 years. For Trump to now pretend this is about the military and not his ego is laughable. Trump saw France's parade and like a five year old, he wanted one too. He should pay the $30M cost himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 04:10 AM

775 posts, read 775,812 times
This crap makes me cranky. If we still had parades to welcome troops back from war, I would have time for this. But not to provide entertainment for the man who occupies the White House.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:19 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
A lot of the time yeah, but he did pass tariffs, which regardless if they are effective or not, is a positive in a symbolic way in my working class book.
I hope you keep working because last time they did tariffs people lost their jobs.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:29 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I am conflicted about it. On one hand it is a colossal waste of $ and military time for preparation but on the other it is nice to see excellence in parade skills of our soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines. Especially the marines. They take pride in it and we should all appreciate them for serving. Unfortunately it is an opportunity for Trump haters to make a big stink but since they are going to make one about everything anyway, what does it matter?
No.

Parades for active duty personnel are a nuisance. I had to participate in two parades on base. It was a PITA.

That colossal waste of money should be spent on veterans who have been FORGOTTEN by Trump.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:01 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
After calling John McCain "not a war hero" for being captured? After taking five deferments to avoid Vietnam? Trump's grandfather was kicked out of Germany for not serving and Trump's ancestors have avoided military for at least the last 100 years. For Trump to now pretend this is about the military and not his ego is laughable. Trump saw France's parade and like a five year old, he wanted one too. He should pay the $30M cost himself.
Trump bad mouthed a POW, dissed Gold Star parents, told a grieving war widow that her husband knew what he was getting in for, ...

Who the hell does this?

I don't care if you never served in the U.S. military, or if none of your relatives ever did either.

I don't care if you don't know anybody in the military outside of Kelly, Flynn, and Mattis.

Who the hell calls a widow on her way to pick up his remains anyway?

You've cried so hard you think your chest will break. Then you go numb for a moment or two. You can't think for the loneliness and the sorrow.

In the midst of your heart breaking, here's Trump on the phone, babbling on about how your husband got what was coming to him. Whoever he was.

Who the hell does this?

Certainly not someone who wants to honor the military.

He wants to honor the military. Give them six months off with pay. Let them regroup. It's been a grueling decade.

Announce that the new mission is defending our borders, helping with national disasters, and protecting refugee camps that have Americans working there.

Sign an Executive Order that states all soldiers will be coming home from the Middle East except those protecting refugee camps run by NGOs with Americans.

Hand over all the excess equipment and weapons to the Kurds because they seem to be the only honorable ones in this whole mess.

(Also, they are fierce warriors, and since we are at the very moment in the midst of selling them out yet again, might as well at least leave them something to defend themselves with for a time. Plus, they'll keep it out of the hands of others. Always a plus.)

Bringing everyone home? Now that's a parade.

If Trump did that on Veterans' Day, I'd vote for him.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:30 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Trump bad mouthed a POW, dissed Gold Star parents, told a grieving war widow that her husband knew what he was getting in for, ...
McCain deserved the criticism. He's a "piece of work," and a RINO Republican that has tried to undermine the President every chance he gets. He also sided with Obama on issues during Obama's "reign of terror" (weaponizing the IRS against U.S. citizens, weaponizing the DOJ, the EPA and other agencies ...yes, I call that a "reign of terror"). McCain was also blamed by many for starting the fire aboard the carrier that claimed the lives of many sailors because of his stupidity and angry disposition, blaming others for his failures.

The "Gold Star" parents you refer to were the Khan's, who are Muslims, and being used by the Democrats at the convention to smear then candidate Trump who spoke out against Obama policies that allowed millions of Muslims, many with terror ties, to seek asylum in the U.S. The Khan's were "tools," and Mr. Khan, in a phony attempt to make people think he actually read the Constitution and understood it, whips out what appeared to be a brand new "pocket Constitution," gratuitously, and claiming to carry it with him at all times, to make himself appear as a model citizen, and better than Trump. It was an act, so obviously scripted for effect. It was disgusting.

As for the war widow, it was also an act. Actually the quote was, "he knew what he signed up for." This wasn't intended to be an insult, but a statement of the mans courage, and we have all heard that phrase used before when talking about our war heroes, who give selflessly for the security and protection of our country. Only the Leftist Democrats were "horrified." It was quickly picked up by every Leftist network and "news" organization for the purpose of smearing Trump as being cold and callous. He was declaring the mans bravery and selflessness, but the media turned it into something else.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:42 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
You seem to think you know a lot about President Trumps bio and his family's bio. Where do you get it from? Do you have a book you can recommend? Please post it, or give us a list of your sources for your post.

I suspect much of this is a lie.

I wonder if you were as critical of Bill Clinton for not serving?

Did you serve? (And for the record, I did serve, and did two WESPAC tours aboard an amphibious flagship during Vietnam.)

Old 03-11-2018, 06:19 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Since Obama or Hillary isn't president, speculating on such a scenario is a waste of time. You can't have our cake and eat it too. Your guy is president. You gloat and croon about his victory until he does something completely unacceptable which is often, then you fall back on the old Obama/Hillary deflection.
Not a deflection. It just shows the utter hypocrisy of the Left. I think a parade honoring or Vets is great. Obama doubled our debt for union paybacks, and crony corporate handouts, yet the Left is OK with that.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:38 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Military parades are for countries like North Korea and China.
Tell that to France & their Bastille Day parade that Trump is basing our parade on.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:41 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Tell that to France & their Bastille Day parade that Trump is basing our parade on.
Okay, I sent them a text message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies