Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 06:32 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
then force them to learn a trade they can use in prison to help pay for their time.

I agree most aren't college material but all can learn some trade above flipping burgers.
and its not about being nice to these people. its about forcing productivity. for some it will be rehabilitation. for a large number its just to keep them from sitting and doing nothing.

shoot, if I could wave a magic wand, most crimes would have a dollar figure attached and not a time period for incarceration. you go to jail and work until you pay your debt to society.
Wergeld? The Saxons and Franks both did this. If the criminal and victim (or victim's family) agreed on compensation, that was the end of it.

Criminals don't want to flip burgers. They want to commit crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 07:05 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
then force them to learn a trade they can use in prison to help pay for their time.

I agree most aren't college material but all can learn some trade above flipping burgers.
and its not about being nice to these people. its about forcing productivity. for some it will be rehabilitation. for a large number its just to keep them from sitting and doing nothing.

shoot, if I could wave a magic wand, most crimes would have a dollar figure attached and not a time period for incarceration. you go to jail and work until you pay your debt to society.
You cannot force people to do that. If they were willing to learn a trade, they would have done so before embarking on a life of crime.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:39 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Turn Prisons into Colleges

This is the actual title of a recent NYT op-ed written by a Harvard professor. I kid you not.

And almost all of the most liked comments from NYT readers agree that this a great idea. That's how far liberal America is from having a realistic view crime and education.
I disagree with putting prisoners with college students but otherwise, what is so bad about this idea?

Norway has an extremely progressive incarceration system and their rate of recidivism is very low.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Who pays for it?
The taxpayers.

I'd rather my taxes go to something like this instead of a human warehouse.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Because that will incentivize people to go to prison, and because frankly the prison population does not have the cognitive capacity to make use of college. People with options generally don't commit crimes.
Come off it.

Even if today, March 14, 2018, I knew prisoners were getting their Masters' in something like education, writing, sociology, etc. totally free, I would NEVER break a law to get into prison to get a degree.

WHO would do that?

And its BS that prisoners don't have the cognitive ability to learn. Having options in life isn't the same as having intelligence.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
How quickly you forget about the collage student that raped another student by a dumpster on campus.

He received what many people thought was a slap on the wrist. Maybe because he was a student and getting an education. It seems he was assisting another student with her education also. What would he be under this new ideal for education ? A transfer student.
What on Earth are you going on about?

Old 03-14-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Why do people think that just because you have a college education you won't do evil crap?
Why do people think higher education only means "college"?

This type of system absolutely could and would foster vocations as well.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Only a person who doesn't understand the complexity and issues surrounding crime in our nation would water ie down to a single talking point as this.

Sometimes at work people say the same. I have to bite my tongue. Most of them grew up privilege. A select few of those I've worked with a long time know of "my past"... it shocks them. There is zero representation in government that truly understand. Education struggles to get any attention at that level... children have no voice and neither do the poor.
Yes.

I wish there was a way to do a "Trading Places" for some people. They certainly need it because they lack the ability to view life through anything but their own narrow scope and experiences.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:51 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why do people think higher education only means "college"?

This type of system absolutely could and would foster vocations as well.
Vocational Ed in prisons is a little more tricky, as machine, wood, etc., shop tools can be used as deadly weapons.

Other than that, I stand by my original proposal:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
To be honest, I would support such a program given the following...
  • No plush campus-like accommodations
  • Admission to such a program was merit-based, both academically and behaviorally
  • An adequate amount of work duties/hours while in prison are exchanged to enroll in courses for college credit
It would be tremendously helpful to rehabilitate felons possible of such, and upon their release after time served, they can create entrepreneurial ventures that stress their "rehabilitated felon" status. Those who believe in supporting such ventures can either capitalize the fledgling businesses, patronize them, or both. I believe most people would give those wishing to alter their life-trajectory in such a manner a second chance.

Of course, not all felons are capable of rehabilitation. Some are sociopaths and NO amount of rehabilitation efforts will ever dissuade them from continuing to victimize others.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Trade-schools in prison would do some of the prisoners good, that is the most bang for your buck.

I would be willing to guess that most prisoners do not have the will or aptitude to do college-level learning/studying/work.
I would be willing to bet that most do, especially taking into account working on mental health issues such as ADHD, autism, depression, PTSD which many prisoners suffer from.

Prisons should be a place for REHABILITATION. And that means rehabbing lives through education, healthcare, basic living skills, mentoring, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies