Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 10:43 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,759,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Free college for kids that come from nice middle-class families?

The last thing we need is a government bureaucrat deciding which kids merit a good life and which kids do not.
I did not grow up in a middle class family, but I was a top student in my school, worked my way through college, and then worked by butt off to succeed. Growing up I never knew anyone in my family or neighborhood that had gone to college or that worked a white collar job. Few had graduated high school. Some hadn't graduated Middle School.

Nowhere did I apply an economic measure for free college. I applied an academic measure. Are you saying poor kids aren't as smart as middle class kids? If so, I beg to differ. I'm not one for class snobbery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 02:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,542,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
"And it could help shrink our prison population. While racial disparities in arrests and convictions are alarming, education level is a far stronger predictor of future incarceration than race."
So very true. Oklahoma pays to have easily one of the highest incarceration rates in the world. And it easily shows in having about the lowest teacher pay, plus cutting funding for education most every year since 2009.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:15 PM

25,785 posts, read 16,419,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So very true. Oklahoma pays to have easily one of the highest incarceration rates in the world. And it easily shows in having about the lowest teacher pay, plus cutting funding for education most every year since 2009.
Parenting, parenting, parenting. Until we commit to keeping babies out of terrible homes keep on building the prisons.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:24 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,154,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
"And it could help shrink our prison population. While racial disparities in arrests and convictions are alarming, education level is a far stronger predictor of future incarceration than race."
So who pays for it?

Old 03-10-2018, 03:28 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,154,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
We are all paying to feed and house prisoners, anyway. What on earth is wrong with doing something that could prevent having to do it again?
I say the convicts pay for it through work say picking crops once the mass deportations go into play. But no free rides.

Angola prison is uniquely positioned for that program.

But no death row inmates. Waste of resources.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:33 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,922,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So who pays for it?
You are paying for it one way or another.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:42 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,867,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
You are paying for it one way or another.
If you take as a given that the correlation between education and criminality also implies causation, which is a reach.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:44 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,922,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
If you take as a given that the correlation between education and criminality also implies causation, which is a reach.
What I'm saying is prisons aren't going anywhere and prisoners will need to be housed and fed at a cost. So I would propose that ways be found to reduce the cost to society like educating them and helping them get jobs as opposed to doing nothing and letting them rot in a cell.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:00 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,867,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
What I'm saying is prisons aren't going anywhere and prisoners will need to be housed and fed at a cost. So I would propose that ways be found to reduce the cost to society like educating them and helping them get jobs as opposed to doing nothing and letting them rot in a cell.
Your first statement is a tautology so sure. Your second statement is a hypothesis, not a fact. Neither of us can say whether or not the cost of education or job training in the prison context would be higher or lower than the impact of success multiplied by the rate of success. Find a good economist without a political axe to grind for or against either finding, let them run an experiment, and crank the numbers and you'll get an answer (at least for that narrow program of education or training on the type of prisoner it is offered to within that local economy).

Without data I don't know for certain, but I'd bet good money both that you could absolutely design a program that works if you limit recipients, teach useful things, and do it on a shoestring. I'd also bet good money that a program teaching poetry and climate science like the person linked in the OP wants to do would be an expensive failure. Devil is in the details, and you don't know (but can make an educated guess for the best and worst ideas) if the details work until you've tested in the field.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:52 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,913,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Turn Prisons into Colleges

This is the actual title of a recent NYT op-ed written by a Harvard professor. I kid you not.

And almost all of the most liked comments from NYT readers agree that this a great idea. That's how far liberal America is from having a realistic view crime and education.
It sounds like he's advocating that the USA follow the EU system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies