Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we allow Asian Carp to stay/enter Great Lakes Watershed?
Yes, it is tolerant to do so. 4 14.29%
No, my prejudice gets the better of me. 24 85.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 05:00 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Once upon a time, SOME Asians figured out Asian Carp is an invasive specie. You can't beat them, so you'd better eat them.

But other fishermen wanted to play social justice warrior in order to save the Asian Carp. So they bombed the fisherman's boats.

Now here is the problem. Asian Carp becomes a problem because the diet of Asian carp overlaps with the diet of native fishes in the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers.

---------------------------

JOKING, I am just JOKING. Don't take it too seriously!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 05:05 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
So, you are one of these people, or we are equating humans with fish? Which is it?

Old 03-12-2018, 05:06 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Once upon a time, SOME Asians figured out Asian Carp is an invasive specie. You can't beat them, so you'd better eat them.

But other fishermen wanted to play social justice warrior in order to save the Asian Carp. So they bombed the fisherman's boats.

Now here is the problem. Asian Carp becomes a problem because the diet of Asian carp overlaps with the diet of native fishes in the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers.

---------------------------

JOKING, I am just JOKING. Don't take it too seriously!
A lot of those "native fish" are the descendants of immigrants.

And the Asian Carp do the work that American Carp won't do, which is why they were brought here, to eat some pollution and muck that American Carp wouldn't.

It seems like the solution to this competition for a living, isn't building Obama's electric death walls and barriers, but rather a jobs program so to say. Perhaps the government could provide various food and training for the fish so that both Asian Carp and the local fish can thrive in harmony.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
A lot of those "native fish" are the descendants of immigrants.

And the Asian Carp do the work that American Carp won't do, which is why they were brought here, to eat some pollution that American Carp wouldn't.

It seems like the solution to this competition for a living, isn't building Obama's electric walls, but rather a jobs program so to say. Perhaps the government could provide various food and training for the fish so that both Asian Carps and the local fish can thrive in harmony.
I think "invasive" is the keyword here. Let's say the mother Carp dropped the babies and never left, and the native fish is suffering because of it, then there you have a problem.

Invasive = illegal Key issue here.

all the experts in the field agree that the ocean's resources are not only unlimited, they are already in an alarming state of decline. We've Been Treating The Planet As If Its Resources Were Infinite, they were not.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:09 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:

I think if you read the thread you linked to the OP, me, doesn't think Asian privilege or white privilege exists to any significant degree. So he wouldn't tell you that Asian Carp are privileged.
He'd say the Asian Carp would marry the whitefish. Perhaps to achieve salmon status...

Old 03-12-2018, 05:20 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Is it too early for a "Dumbest thread of 2018" nominee?
No. I'd vote for this thread right now because I know it would win lol!

Old 03-12-2018, 05:21 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Asian carp may be better at math than salmon, and therefore make better engineers.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:27 PM

I enjoyed this thread. Very funny actually.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:56 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Asian carp may be better at math than salmon, and therefore make better engineers.
They lifted the one spawn and done rule for Asian carp...

Old 03-12-2018, 06:05 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
You'll likely not find more Asian carp anywhere than where I live, the Illinois River is so full of these things, you can no longer water ski in it, and it's risky at times riding a jet ski (they jump out of the water when they hear and feel a motor in the water)

Comparing people to fish is silly, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies