Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 11:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
All these discussions ignore the fact that there should not be failing schools in the first place. Since we are all taxpayers, we should be demanding a better product for our money. Unfortunately, few want to pay what it would take to get all schools up to snuff.

I disagree that the parents should have the most say, as they are not the ones charged with running the schools, but rather ensuring that their own children do well. The taxpayers, through their representatives, should have the most say, whether or not they have school-aged children. Parents have their avenues to influence their children's schooling through the local school boards and Parent-Teacher Association.

Rather than creating a parallel educational system, our resources should be going into ensuring that every child receives a quality school experience. I am a parent, a taxpayer, and a teacher. I am invested heavily in ensuring that every child gets the kind of school experience that my children had. I'm so elitist that I have spent most of the last three decades working with the poorest of the poor to try to make that happen.

Why are you so reluctant to admit that having failing schools is abhorrent in our nation? Because you know that there are children whose parents are so uninvolved that they would never go out of their way to get their child into a non-public school. Are you okay with consigning those children to a poor education just so a few can get into alternative placements? Afraid they might grow up and compete with your children/grandchildren for jobs?

I am actively trying to develop more taxpayers. I see that as a good thing. Many of my students come from homes where no one has ever really worked and where nearly all expenses are paid by taxpayers. Why would you want to impede that?
The problem with your statement <bold> is that we spend more per pupil than almost any other developed country.
Many studies have shown more money does not equate to better outcomes.

After living in many different states where the constant push was more and more tax levy's to give more and more money to schools it seems little to nothing changed when it came to teacher pay, but they all had well paid administrations and usually had fantastic football,basketball and soccer teams,facilities and equipment.
Time for some competition...
See any problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 01:39 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
No, it isn't worthless. They did break it down into Catholic, Lutheran, Christian and Secular.
Not broken down far enough. The evidence is that holy order parochial schools educate better than any of the others, public or private.

We can't have an honest debate unless you're willing to discuss the actual data.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:44 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
One thing the federal government could do is develop online learning games that are challenging and engaging. Make them freely available to everyone.
Our preschooler uses such software that is free through the state. She can now do some reading, count to 100 and all sorts of marvelous things for her age. I’ve alredy pre-enrolled our other kidlet.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I didn't lie. U of P made a press release & I cited it. When someone gets an MBA from Wharton it's a big deal.
When anyone earns any degree from Wharton, it's a big deal. As a school within Penn, admission is more highly selective. One can earn a Bachelor's Degree in Economics from Penn that isn't from Wharton. It's more of a Gen Ed degree.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:02 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
When anyone earns any degree from Wharton, it's a big deal. As a school within Penn, admission is more highly selective. One can earn a Bachelor's Degree in Economics from Penn that isn't from Wharton. It's more of a Gen Ed degree.
And, we already know Trump transferred in via an admissions counselor his family knew.

He did not get in under those “strict standards,” nor was he known as a good student.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
And, we already know Trump transferred in via an admissions counselor his family knew.

He did not get in under those “strict standards,” nor was he known as a good student.
Doesn't matter. He was admitted to Wharton, not just Penn general ed. He has every right to say he earned a degree from Wharton, just like the Affirmative Action admit Obamas can claim their degrees are from the Ivy League.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:14 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Doesn't matter. He was admitted to Wharton, not just Penn general ed. He has every right to say he earned a degree from Wharton, just like the Affirmative Action admit Obamas can claim their degrees are from the Ivy League.
He transferred to Wharton after 2 years at Fordham or some such.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
He transferred to Wharton after 2 years at Fordham or some such.
Obama transferred to Columbia after attending Occidental.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:26 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The problem with your statement <bold> is that we spend more per pupil than almost any other developed country.
Many studies have shown more money does not equate to better outcomes.

After living in many different states where the constant push was more and more tax levy's to give more and more money to schools it seems little to nothing changed when it came to teacher pay, but they all had well paid administrations and usually had fantastic football,basketball and soccer teams,facilities and equipment.
Time for some competition...
See any problem?
I see communities paying for that which they value. No legislature mandates minimum performance in athletics upon pain of funding cuts. Our country can't have it both ways. Either we value education and fund it adequately or we should admit that schools are really just glorified community centers for kids and quit demanding that every child be above average in academics. I don't see a problem if we give up expecting Cadillac results on a Chevy budget.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I see communities paying for that which they value. No legislature mandates minimum performance in athletics upon pain of funding cuts. Our country can't have it both ways. Either we value education and fund it adequately or we should admit that schools are really just glorified community centers for kids and quit demanding that every child be above average in academics. I don't see a problem if we give up expecting Cadillac results on a Chevy budget.
Gee, I wonder how the countries that do better do so with less, some much less.
Tossing more money at this problem is NOT the answer. Been there, done that and yet it still sucks canal water...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies