Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 02:46 PM

88,770 posts, read 44,594,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Mhm.

Southbound 295 is completely right.

You are completely wrong.
Oh, good grief, no.

A bachelor's degree in Economics from Penn and a bachelor's degree in Economics from Wharton are two different things. They are two completely different degree programs with completely different degree requirements.

Quote:
"What’s the difference between a BS in Economics at Wharton and BA major in economics in a liberal arts program? We get this question all the time, and the answer comes down to curriculum and teaching and learning methods."
https://undergrad.wharton.upenn.edu/...-in-economics/

The difference DOES matter. A Wharton grad will state their Economics degree is from Wharton. A Penn liberal arts grad will state their Economics degree is from Penn.

Don't be obtuse. Know of which you speak before you open your mouth and insert your foot.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 03-19-2018 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania. You.are.wrong.
No, I am not wrong. (Show me anywhere a Penn State grad refers to themselves as a Penn grad.)

They even have two very different Alumni organizations, each referring correctly to their alma mater:

https://www.alumni.psu.edu/s/1218/16...id=4&pgid=3346

https://www.alumni.upenn.edu/s/1587/...?gid=2&pgid=61

I am quite surprised to see that there are at least two of you locals who are so very uninformed on this particular topic. How can you know so little about the universities in your own backyard? Yikes.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:04 PM

4,650 posts, read 4,527,926 times
My wife and I are both Ivy grads with many relatives and friends who went to "Penn". Members of the University of Pennsylvania do refer to the school as "Penn".

For further evidence, feel free to take a look at the school newspaper:
http://thedp.com

You might also note how school apparel is "Penn" branded at the bookstore:
http://upenn.bncollege.com/webapp/wc...&topCatId=4000

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 03-19-2018 at 05:13 PM..

Old 03-19-2018, 05:30 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,846,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It IS a solution when those same educational strategies can be applied in more schools and/or if there were more religious order schools. Public schools are HIGHLY resistant to change. Why? Because they don't have to change. They go along to get along because nothing/no one can eliminate their pensions/benefits, and they have guaranteed taxpayer funding, regardless of their **** poor results.

ANYTIME there's a virtual government-run monopoly with mandated taxpayer funding and no option to use that funding on a better choice, we get exactly the same... Just look at the VA Health Care system.

No, it does not. It CLEARY states in the conclusion:

"Only one type of school shows an advantage over comprehensive public high schools in student achievement across subjects: Catholic religious order schools."
I will address the last phrase in bold first.

You have cherry picked it out of context to suit your agenda. The full paragraph reads:

Figure 1 also shows a second stage in which, under certain circumstances, certain types of private schools influence student achievement or SAT scores. But this advantage is highly idiosyncratic. Only one type of school shows an advantage over comprehensive public high schools in student achievement across subjects: Catholic religious order schools. All told, attending these schools is a rarity; only 34 of the 1,003 students studied attended them, amounting to about one-quarter of the religious school population in the cities

Studying 1003 students alone is a relatively small study, especially when compared to the NAEP report which studied over 7400 entire grade schools and over 6000 entire high schools to draw it's conclusions.

What is even smaller is the 34 students, only 3.39% of the entire CEP study, that attended holy order schools.

What you're proposing is that we emulate the education of less than 3 dozen students for the millions of existing public school students in America. That has to sound irrational to anyone. With such a small sample size, the scores could easily be an anomaly.

As I keep saying, I do agree that we need to improve our public education.

I believe that we have a top heavy system with far too much paid to superintendents and administrators, in addition to some frivolous uses of spending (a nearby struggling school district was found to spend over $1000 on catering alone for board meetings).

I also believe that our class sizes in many of the larger and poorer districts are too big. That actually is something that Jesuit schools in my area do better (many have less than a 10:1 student to teacher ratio), so I will say that it is an area that should be emulated.

From my perspective, it isn't that public schools don't want to change, it is that change costs money that many of the poorer districts simply don't have, or have misused.

The poorer the district, the more resources it needs to overcome the challenges faced by it's students.

Other countries have achieved exceptional, well regarded, public education systems. We are in arguably the greatest country in the world- our challenges are unique but not impossible to overcome within the public system.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:00 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,623,716 times
my my.

let's get back to the subject of the thread.

de vos interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQNtWLCSh0

Old 03-19-2018, 07:43 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
No, I am not wrong. (Show me anywhere a Penn State grad refers to themselves as a Penn grad.)

They even have two very different Alumni organizations, each referring correctly to their alma mater:

I am quite surprised to see that there are at least two of you locals who are so very uninformed on this particular topic. How can you know so little about the universities in your own backyard? Yikes.
Just happened today. I was speaking with a client whose daughter went to Villanova and son went to Penn. I know the son went to Penn State because I know the family.

You are wrong.

I am quite surprised that a non-local thinks she knows more than a local person.

Yikes indeed.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:58 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,540,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
My wife and I are both Ivy grads with many relatives and friends who went to "Penn". Members of the University of Pennsylvania do refer to the school as "Penn".

For further evidence, feel free to take a look at the school newspaper:
The Daily Pennsylvanian | The University of Pennsylvania's independent student news organization

You might also note how school apparel is "Penn" branded at the bookstore:
Men's - University of Pennsylvania*Bookstore
Good for you.

Trump went to the University of Pennsylvania in the 60s. EVERYTHING from sweatshirts to book covers said U of P. If you went into the bookshop, EVERYTHING said U of P. That's because EVERYONE referred to Penn State as Penn. Nowdays, there's some degree of a mix. When referring to where Trump went to school it was strictly U of P.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Just happened today. I was speaking with a client whose daughter went to Villanova and son went to Penn. I know the son went to Penn State because I know the family.

You are wrong.

I am quite surprised that a non-local thinks she knows more than a local person.

Yikes indeed.
Thanks.

I can't believe that that know-it-all can sit there & say that someone who was on the U of P campus in the late 60s doesn't know what was there. My bet is that that poster wasn't alive then.

My favorite is when someone says Penn & they're met with "Which one?" (usually someone with an accent, saying Penn)

Old 03-20-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:

I don't give a rat's patoot what you think. As of the 60s & beyond EVERYTHING was U of P in Philly & Penn in State College. Most if not all locals have not changed the branding, nor do they care if the schools have. I likewise don't give a rat's patoot what programs Wharton offers today. I do know what the statement was that U of P released based on the 60s. When someone just says Wharton it means MBA. Multiple people have told you this & I'm tired of saying it. Think whatever you want.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I will address the last phrase in bold first.

You have cherry picked it out of context to suit your agenda.
It's not out of context. It's a fact of the findings of the regression analysis. You just don't like the results because they prove that Catholic religious order schools educate students the best, better than public schools and other private schools, even when socioeconomic factors are included in the analysis.

Too bad you're so unwilling to accept the truth. /SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies