Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:59 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The White House revolving door is damn near coming off the hinges with people either leaving because the president doesn’t listen to them, or people coming in that don’t seem to be getting through to him because he thinks he’s omniscient on all matters of government.
bringing up your opinion of the White House door is irrevelent. It doesn't address the issue at hand. See how that works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 12:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
bringing up your opinion of the White House door is irrevelent. It doesn't address the issue at hand. See how that works?
The difference is that my point is relevant. Yours isn’t.

I know I hurt your feelings, but get yourself together next time before lashing out at me.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:47 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
As I recall, there was some discussion of Kudlow taking on this role during the initial transition period after the election. He is has traditionally been a "Free trader," but then that applies to me also.

Again, I always thought what Trump describes as "Fair trade" is what was intended by the term "Free trade". I am sure that it was when the GATT agreement and NAFTA were originally signed. But somewhere along the way, the meaning seems to have morphed into some sort of capitulating abassement to the interests of "globalism," at the expense of the interests of the American people and our country's interests.

I would like to hear or read something by Kudlow explaining his current perspective on all of this before I jump on the support bandwagon. But it is my expectation that if he provides a compelling explanation of his views, he would be a good selection for this job.
this has to be a joke. please tell me this is a joke. Kudlow is a clown even by the low standards of the financial entertainment industry.

this is like appointing Bill O'Reilly as Federal Reserve Chairman

at least with sociopaths from investment banking, you're getting someone who knows what they're talking about, even if they're evil. Kudlow just spews nonsense, the man has no clue about anything, his job is to say things that sound sort-of-accurate to his viewers, mostly wannabe day traders.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I like Kudlow. He's got some baggage which the Dems will exploit...you'll hear about it here ad nauseum once Slate and HuffPo jump on the bandwagon. Of bigger concern is Kudlow is a strong dollar guy and Trump is not. Kudlow also doesn't like tariffs and we know Trump's purported position on that. But Kudlow and Trump are NYC guys who know and respect each other and Kudlow is very good at not letting his ego interfere with advising the boss...which Cohn was unable to do.
Kudlow has no problem talking about his baggage- a $100,000/ yr cocaine habit, back in the day.

He's been on the wagon for decades. Water under the bridge.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:01 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Default Trump 'Looking at Larry Kudlow Very Strongly' to be Top Economic Aide

Getting closer to a decision -

"President Trump told reporters at the White House today that "looking at Larry Kudlow very strongly" to replace Gary Cohn as his chief economic advisor.

Trump-supporting economists Lawrence Kudlow, Art Laffer and Stephen Moore said after Trump's announcement slapping a 25 percent tariff on steel and 10 percent on aluminum that the president "genuinely believes that his steel and aluminum tariffs will save thousands of blue-collar jobs, but even if tariffs save every one of the 140,000 or so steel jobs in America, it puts at risk five million manufacturing and related jobs in industries that use steel."

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...economic-aide/

Old 03-14-2018, 06:52 AM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Larry Kudlow: 'All of Europe is going to wind up being exempt' from Trump's steel, aluminum tariffs

"I guarantee you, all of Europe is going to wind up being exempt. And I bet you our allies in Asia will wind up being exempt. China may be the only one," Kudlow continued. Kudlow said markets reacted positively to "the exclusion argument" because it lifted "the threat of protectionism and the threat of downstream economic losses from steel users and consumers."

"It’s a Trumpian way of negotiating. You knock them in the teeth and get their attention, and then you kind of work out a deal," he said. "That’s what he’s done. My hat's off to him. He had me really worried, now I’m not.”

While disliking blanket tariffs, Kudlow also said he still considered China "a key problem" for the U.S. and that he would like to see Trump "to go after China in economic terms."

"I would not be opposed to targeted tariffs on China," Kudlow said, specifically in reference in technology, "all with an eye toward stopping this idea of stealing our intellectual property."
Kudlow would be fine for the job, but not sure why he would take it.

As far as his past drug use. Our last president was an admitted former crack head so the bar is now very low regarding previous drug use.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:55 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post

As far as his past drug use. Our last president was an admitted former crack head so the bar is now very low regarding previous drug use.
And founding member of the Pot Smoking "Choom Gang".

Old 03-14-2018, 07:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post

Another “ whataboutism”.

Obama disclosed he smoked marijuana and used cocaine during his teen years.

“Crackhead” is fabrication.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:18 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Another “ whataboutism”.

Obama disclosed he smoked marijuana and used cocaine during his teen years.

Crackhead” is fabrication.
Yes, total BS.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:38 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
My choice for economics advisor is Lawrence Lindsey, an economist who believes in the old fashioned idea of fiscal discipline. When Bush 43 was pushing for Iraq war II and listening to the likes of neocon Paul Wolfowitz, who said that the war would cost $40 billion and "pay for itself," Lindsey told Bush that the war would cost $200 billion. Bush 43 promptly fired him. His time with Bush 43 left such a bad taste in his mouth that he recently turned down an offer to be vice chairman of the Federal Reserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies