Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 09:21 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Your assumption is based off of too small of a sample size. The demographics of the killed/injured of being three blacks, two whites, and one Hispanic, though falling over the standard deviation range of 2.00 of chance, the sample is too small to project the assumption without further evidence, and the short fall is one person to conclude the standard deviation to be under 2.00.

So without further evidence, mathematically, your claim is false.
Well....it may very well be a sampling error.....but it is the ONLY sample we have to go from. That said, I never stated my comments as FACTS of what the motive is or was. When you do not know something you back into a hypothesis by taking what you know and using deduction and induction. Ergo, my comments represents a hypothesis, not a claim of facts and that hypothesis certainly has more plausibility than simple conjecture or "gut feelings". Even if I am wrong, its the most probable explanation right now, based upon what is known.

Besides....the small sampling does not invalidate the probability as FALSE, due to the standard deviation. What is FALSE is your assertion that the deviation makes it FALSE.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 03-21-2018 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 09:22 AM

267 posts, read 122,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I got the impression from reading the article from The Statesman that the family is religious.
Not uncommon for Christian evangelicals to home school.

From the linked article:

"“I officially graduated Mark from High School on Friday. 1 down, 3 to go. He has 30 hrs of college credit too, but he’s thinking of taking some time to figure out what he wants to do….maybe a mission trip. Thanks to everyone for your support over the years.”"
Mission trip? Who would train people with his ideals and where? Maybe another country?

LOL I see a religious trip hahaha. Can you tell I’m not evangelical.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:22 AM

769 posts, read 782,872 times
From the bombers blog:

https://definingmystance.blogspot.com/?m=1

Anti gay conservative white home schooled evangelical.

Just the facts.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:31 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuca Racha View Post
Mission trip? Who would train people with his ideals and where? Maybe another country?

"Mission trip" is common church parlance for older teens through adults spending a week or two in some "needy" area, either foreign or domestic, offering simple religious instruction or services plus whatever hands-on assistance may be needed. Water projects, construction, volunteering in local health clinics, schools and/or orphanages are all popular mission trip projects.

I have adult cousins who've participated in mission trips to Haiti, helping bring clean water to a rural community, and to Houston, offering post-hurricane clean up and repair. Both cousins are sincere in their religious beliefs and they practice what they preach. Both are members of mainstream Protestant denominations.

It sounds to me as if the mother of this young man was being a bit hopeful about his future, and might have been expressing her own wishes for him. She was probably putting an optimistic spin on it for her blog followers, too, when reality might have been considerable different. We just don't know enough about what this young man was like at age 17 or 18 to know if what his mother wrote was realistic or not.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Your assumption is based off of too small of a sample size. The demographics of the killed/injured of being three blacks, two whites, and one Hispanic, though falling over the standard deviation range of 2.00 of chance, the sample is too small to project the assumption without further evidence, and the short fall is one person to conclude the standard deviation to be under 2.00.

So without further evidence, mathematically, your claim is false.
The bomber got to choose the type of neighborhood. That wasn’t random

“The first three explosives all hit eastern Austin, affecting areas where black and Hispanic residents live”

That’s like someone targeting little Haiti or What used to be called Carol City in Miami and claiming it was just by “chance” that a minority was a victim.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:34 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
From the bombers blog:

https://definingmystance.blogspot.com/?m=1

Anti gay conservative white home schooled evangelical.

Just the facts.
He was seventeen or eighteen when he wrote that - a college freshman. It's clear that he was very conservative and quite judgmental at that time, but it's not clear how his views might have evolved since then.

We also know he was fired from work (with computers) at the end of last summer and had not worked since then. Resentment over that might well have been major factor in his going off the rails.

Lots of unanswered questions still...

Old 03-21-2018, 09:36 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:

Mission trips are common rites of passage for young evangelicals and honestly, for members of mainstream Christian denominations as well.
It is an important form of Christian outreach and is taken very seriously.

The statement by this man's mother was clearly directed at people from their circle who would know exactly what she was talking about.
Under the current circumstances, it was, sadly, likely wishful thinking on her part, but clearly an important aspect of their lives.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:42 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
The bomber got to choose the type of neighborhood. That wasn’t random

“The first three explosives all hit eastern Austin, affecting areas where black and Hispanic residents live”

That’s like someone targeting little Haiti or What used to be called Carol City in Miami and claiming it was just by “chance” that a minority was a victim.
Precisely.....

Yet, many people want to deflect away from what probabilities say is the likely motive. Granted, I am not saying with any certainty that "That is the Motive". I am just saying that it is the probable motive, but I certainly would not bet my retirement funds on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Mission trips are common rites of passage for young evangelicals and honestly, for members of mainstream Christian denominations as well.
It is an important form of Christian outreach and is taken very seriously.

The statement by this man's mother was clearly directed at people from their circle who would know exactly what she was talking about.
Under the current circumstances, it was, sadly, likely wishful thinking on her part, but clearly an important aspect of their lives.
Yeah I realized my mistake. I also though the bomber said it himself but it was his mother.

Probably wishful thinking as you say. Even if your kid is troubled, no one expects him to be a bomber. There are plenty of crazy people out there who never hurt others physically.

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Excellent. The idiot murder is dead. Now that the bombs have stopped, we can get back to the gun debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies