Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 07:10 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Its not even a matter of dispute that Western nations and societies are better and more civilized than African ones.

You don't need to persuade anyone of that...its common knowledge and easily verified by empirical evidence.

Are there really people out there who could possibly need to be disabused of the misconception that African societies are better than Western ones?

Where are all these incorrigibles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Hmmm... primitive tribespeople vs. modern nudist colonies.

OaaaaKaaaaaayyy ,,,,,,
Moth, see part of post I highlighted above. That is the mindset that the publication promulgated.

This was the goal of the magazine to show and it did a good job showing it.

Also, you keep ignoring the fact that NG does not always do articles about "primitive tribes people."

The majority of their articles were not about tribes, they were about specific locales and a majority of the older issues were about Europe that I remember reading. Those articles were about leisure, travel, antrhopology, history, etc. They could have easily done a feature, as I already said, about the culture of beaches in regards to leisure in Europe and show naked white women, but they didn't. That's the point that it seems you keep skating around and trying to focus on primitive tribes. They wrote articles about all types of societies and the many activities of the people in specific locales.

Also the idea that those tribes people represented a particular continent or country is false and NG promoted the false idea that a majority of people in different countries/continents (except Europe) lives drastically different lives from people in "the West" when they don't.

IMO it is important for us to realize that we aren't all that special like phantompilot seems to think he/she is and that a majority of people live regular modern lives in the world. I've been to so-called "third world" countries and everyone I saw was on smartphones and had on clothes lol. IMO it shows an abundance of ignorance of "the west" for people in specific countries to believe that they are superior to other people or that small tribes represent Africa, S. America, or Asian countries on the whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 06:51 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Moth, see part of post I highlighted above. That is the mindset that the publication promulgated.

This was the goal of the magazine to show and it did a good job showing it.

Also, you keep ignoring the fact that NG does not always do articles about "primitive tribes people."

The majority of their articles were not about tribes, they were about specific locales and a majority of the older issues were about Europe that I remember reading. Those articles were about leisure, travel, antrhopology, history, etc. They could have easily done a feature, as I already said, about the culture of beaches in regards to leisure in Europe and show naked white women, but they didn't. That's the point that it seems you keep skating around and trying to focus on primitive tribes. They wrote articles about all types of societies and the many activities of the people in specific locales.

Also the idea that those tribes people represented a particular continent or country is false and NG promoted the false idea that a majority of people in different countries/continents (except Europe) lives drastically different lives from people in "the West" when they don't.

IMO it is important for us to realize that we aren't all that special like phantompilot seems to think he/she is and that a majority of people live regular modern lives in the world. I've been to so-called "third world" countries and everyone I saw was on smartphones and had on clothes lol. IMO it shows an abundance of ignorance of "the west" for people in specific countries to believe that they are superior to other people or that small tribes represent Africa, S. America, or Asian countries on the whole.

Methinks a casual glance at global news promulgates that mindset.

Sorry to inform you Shuri, but Africa is no Wakanda.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:13 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Methinks a casual glance at global news promulgates that mindset.

Sorry to inform you Shuri, but Africa is no Wakanda.
See now you are delving into childishness...sad.

I mentioned 3 continents and that I have personally traveled to so-called "third world" countries and you mention a movie character....

I don't keep up with the news. I'm too busy living my life and not looking at other people from a propaganda perspective.

Interesting it seems you and the other poster I mentioned are much moreso invested in the media depictions of people. How many African countries have you been too? How many Asian or S. American?

As I noted, most people today live modern lives and their ways of living are not all that different from ours. This has been the case for a very long time.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:56 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Apologies from publications like National Geographic for their historical racism are nice... but not nearly enough!

A Dartmouth professor writing in the Washington Post is calling on the entire American publishing industry to make amends for its racist and sexist past by pouring over archives, finding previously rejected SJW-oriented manuscripts by women, non-whites and immigrants, and publishing them now. These works would then be "integrated into the history of American literature".
Quote:
As in the case of National Geographic and the New York Times, righting the book industry’s discriminatory wrongs will take more than piecemeal apologies on behalf of individual presses. The Association of American Publishers ought to insist on across-the-board scrutiny of the big publishers’ pasts.
After all, he who controls the past controls the future.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:11 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Not seeing the big deal. The admission is that the magazine was biased in the past and is attempting to do better in the future.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:13 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sigh, and it was explained to you, that these tribes are not indicative of all Africans or other tribes around the world. And just like they were featured doing things without clothes on, European women also could have been. The publication chose not to do so. Not all NG articles are about anthropology and cultures that have a traditional sort of lifestyle. They often featured modern/current for the volume of the magazine, people, areas, and cultures all over the world. They could have easily featured bare chested white women due to the above.

Maybe you are not as familiar with the publication as myself to know that they often had and still have articles about white people around the world in various societies and that there are white "tribes" running around without clothing - they are called nudist colonies and pretty much all of them in America and Europe are full of white people.

IMO the publication, and they are admitting as such recently, wanted to portray white people as better and more civilized than other people in the world. They had an agenda as a publication, which they are now admitting and which the OP and others on the thread want to discount. You may not agree with NG but they are the ones who chose not to feature whites in the same way as they featured other people.
Some people simply want to remain ignorant. They want excuses for their backward thought.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:18 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
NG always seemed to me to about the differences between people, but also the common humanity of people.

I'm guessing that those who read NG the most, probably best understood the context of topless photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies