Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 12:24 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Trump, even if he isn't impeached, will be a one term President. Bank on it. Too many people are seeing through his lying bombastic ways. I expect replies from the Trump supporters here. It really doesn't matter what they say as normal Americans realize what a wacko was elected. As the country realizes how Trump betrayed our country by colluding with Putin, they will vote him out in droves.
The phrase " Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. " Truly applies here.

Remember, this is predicted only 14 months into Trump's term.
WHile I agree with your assessment on Trump, I am not sure I'd bank on him losing. He could win the primary by splitting the party again, and win the election in one of two ways:

1. Either the Dems run someone totally horrible, that nobody can vote for, or
2. His ability to lie, cheat, and deceit out-weighs a decent human running against him. (I believe he could have beet Obama, simply because Obama is a decent man, and would not stoop to his level, thus causing him to win.)

I hope he is not impeached. I hope he gets HAMMERED in the Primaries. Landslide. After that, my preference is to have a Dem back in office, but I really don't care nearly as much as just having him out. America needs him out. The world needs him out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 12:34 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
It’s too early to tell about Trump’s chances in 2020, but at this point in his term, it doesn’t look good.

1. While he’s held his base of 38%-41% of the population and remains particularly strong with white non-college and rural voters, he’s lost support among white collar college grads.

2. Trump is uniting his opposition. Trump’s legions show up to vote in large numbers, but hatred of Trump is boosting turnout among the opposition. Thus far at least, the tax cut isn’t working enough politically to stem the tide.

3. If the Dems take the House in 2018 it would change the dynamics for 2020. The Dems could overplay their hand on impeachment and turn off voters, or Trump could triangulate between the D House and R Senate and play more of a moderate role, though I don’t think anyone would buy it.

4. Trump could run as a independent in 2020. He’ll always have trouble reaching 50% of the vote and an establishment R candidate might help him win with his 40% of the vote.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:40 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
Trump, even if he isn't impeached, will be a one term President. Bank on it. Too many people are seeing through his lying bombastic ways. I expect replies from the Trump supporters here. It really doesn't matter what they say as normal Americans realize what a wacko was elected. As the country realizes how Trump betrayed our country by colluding with Putin, they will vote him out in droves.
The phrase " Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. " Truly applies here.

Normal Americans are the people that elected Trump. Deranged Leftists are the outliers in this country.

And there is ZERO evidence of collusion with Putin. It's wishful thinking by Democrats.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:47 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
There isn't a Democrat alive that could accomplish what Donald Trump has accomplished. Lower taxes, more jobs, a booming economy, defeating ISIS, deregulation, etc etc.

Democrats are about illegal migrants and promoting the nanny state to maintain the best interests of the party. With them, it's never been about anything other than their agenda which as of right now, does not exist.
You're just parroting the words of Trump. The tax cut will only add to the deficit. Are Trump supporters so myopic that they really can't understand this? And many Americans won't even see a tax cut now; they will pay MORE in taxes. Secondly, Trump has done nothing to improve the economy. Businesses do that. And Trump has not defeated ISIS. And his deregulation attempts have accomplished what exactly? Nothing.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:49 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:

You're late to the party. We had threads here from 2016 and early 2017 claiming that he'd be a zero term president.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:49 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,641 times
We have to remember that Trump barely won the electorate college by less than 1% in 3 key states and lost popular vote against a widely disliked candidate like Hillary. It won’t take much to beat Trump in 2020, but we have to see how he does in 3 years and who Democrats nominate.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:55 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Wishful thinking at its most historically ignorant and hopelessly optimistic.

The last time a sitting GOP president got primaried was Reagan going against Ford in 1976. Reagan was massively popular in arguably all the most important electoral states, and Ford was not that far removed from having pardoned the reviled Nixon. And Ford won that primary by ~10 points. The Republicans of 2020 will have nobody close to Reagan's popularity advantage over Ford, especially given how well Trump controls media news cycles.

Trump may very well lose to the Democrat challenger, but he will not be primaried and he will be the 2020 nominee if he chooses to run for reelection.
I object.

The big difference is the amount of drama out there.

If Trump wants to hold the GOP nomination for 2020 he needs to get the drama down to a monthly/bi-monthly schedule instead of so much on a regular weekly basis.

It'll tire all the moderate/centered leaning republicans which he'll need.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:30 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Wishful thinking at its most historically ignorant and hopelessly optimistic.

The last time a sitting GOP president got primaried was Reagan going against Ford in 1976. Reagan was massively popular in arguably all the most important electoral states, and Ford was not that far removed from having pardoned the reviled Nixon. And Ford won that primary by ~10 points. The Republicans of 2020 will have nobody close to Reagan's popularity advantage over Ford, especially given how well Trump controls media news cycles.

Trump may very well lose to the Democrat challenger, but he will not be primaried and he will be the 2020 nominee if he chooses to run for reelection.
Not sure why you think it is wishful thinking in regards to Trump.

You do realize that a large amount of so-called "establishment" Republicans don't like Trump right....

I've said it before on the forums but I wouldn't be surprised if Kasich comes out as a challenger against Trump. He has consistently taken contradictory positions against Trump since he ran against him in 2016 and he is in his final term as governor of Ohio. I think he may put himself in the game. He has noted he hasn't decided yet but may run in 2020 against Trump. IMO many people are blind to the fact that Trump is not well liked and is also reviled by many Republicans. He (meaning Trump) is unique politically and even though I never thought and still don't think he will be implicated in all this Russian stuff, I do think that it sours his reputation and his uniqueness makes him at odd with a majority of the GOP. Also, many of the evangelical Christians would get away from him in a second to have someone like Kasich on the ticket who is actually a conservative Christian as would Republicans many of those on the hard right consider RINOs. As an independent, I will vote in the primary if there is one and I will be sure to vote against him. The news cycles will be happy to report on a primary.

I base my view on the primary on the political climate, not wishful thinking. As noted, I know a lot of Republicans, including people who are involved in GOP politics and/or elected representatives/officials. More than half of the Republicans I know don't like Trump and want someone to run. I live in Ohio and they want Kasich to run. I think Trump is tiring to many people within the GOP and this whole chaotic mess he has in government (Tillerson getting the boot being the most recent) is wearing on people.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:36 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:

First of all, I'm sure you had to choke a little bit to spit out the notion that Trump won't be impeached.

Secondly, I guarandamnedtee you ain't no democrat winning anything anytime soon.

Impeach Fodifav! Impeach Fodifav!

Old 03-14-2018, 01:39 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
I’m hoping he is primaried at the very least.
Can you imagine, if he is primaried and he loses, the kind of tweets we’d see while his term runs out?

Or do you think he’d just take his ball and go home at that point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies