Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:45 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

U.S. court upholds most of Texas law to punish 'sanctuary cities'

A U.S. appeals court panel on Tuesday upheld most of a Republican-backed Texas law to punish “sanctuary cities,” allowing it to remain in effect while the case is being fought in a lower court.

In August 2017, Chief U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia in San Antonio found the legislation was unlikely to withstand constitutional scrutiny and blocked sections of the law just days before it was to take effect. The case then went to the 5th Circuit.

Good news with this.

Currently, we officially have no sanctuary cities, but in case some were thinking about it - they just got pushed back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 06:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
So it's now a law that allows for determining who you are if you are stopped doing something illegal?

Kinda redundant isn't it?

Old 03-14-2018, 03:52 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

A U.S. appeals court panel on Tuesday upheld most of a Republican-backed Texas law to punish “sanctuary cities,” allowing it to remain in effect while the case is being fought in a lower court.

In August 2017, Chief U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia in San Antonio found the legislation was unlikely to withstand constitutional scrutiny and blocked sections of the law just days before it was to take effect. The case then went to the 5th Circuit.

Good news with this.

Currently, we officially have no sanctuary cities, but in case some were thinking about it - they just got pushed back.
You don’t need sanctuary cities in Texas. It’s a sanctuary state.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:12 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:

Good news with this.

Good.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:13 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You don’t need sanctuary cities in Texas. It’s a sanctuary state.
How so?

Old 03-14-2018, 04:30 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
How so?
Illegals traipse around huge portions of Texas completely unmolested and with no real worries about immigration issues. There’s nothing vigorous or aggressive about immigration enforcement in Texas.

I was working in Texas late last year for two weeks ....in Seguin, Corsicana and McAllen, and the illegals are running around so thick in Texas that I had to laugh. I live in Arizona I don’t see that kind of impunity, and yet, the nation acts like we’re Ground Zero for the illegal immigration invasion.

They’re all over Texas’ large cities, the Permian Basin, the Pineywoods, and the North Plains area over into Arkansas. The Panhandle is chock full of illegal immigrant labor. Especially in the meatpacking areas.

And South Texas running over towards Laredo, and points west like Del Rio and Eagle Pass? Pfffft...half the Hispanics you bump into over there can’t speak a lick of English.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:56 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Illegals traipse around huge portions of Texas completely unmolested and with no real worries about immigration issues. There’s nothing vigorous or aggressive about immigration enforcement in Texas.

I was working in Texas late last year for two weeks ....in Seguin, Corsicana and McAllen, and the illegals are running around so thick in Texas that I had to laugh. I live in Arizona I don’t see that kind of impunity, and yet, the nation acts like we’re Ground Zero for the illegal immigration invasion.

They’re all over Texas’ large cities, the Permian Basin, the Pineywoods, and the North Plains area over into Arkansas. The Panhandle is chock full of illegal immigrant labor. Especially in the meatpacking areas.

And South Texas running over towards Laredo, and points west like Del Rio and Eagle Pass? Pfffft...half the Hispanics you bump into over there can’t speak a lick of English.
So you personally carded every person who didn't look or talk like you, and determined they were here illegally?? Wow, impressive!

Old 03-14-2018, 06:06 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:

WOW, 2 WHOLE weeks in 3 areas and you KNOW ALL of what is going on in a state the size of Texas.

Talk about illusions of self grandeur.

"and the illegals are running around so thick in Texas that I had to laugh. "

How did you KNOW they were illegal?

Did you ask each and every one of them?

It looks like you know NOTHING about DPS.

"DPS is South Texas' pioneer law enforcement conduit into the deportation pipeline for noncriminals. The agency dominates the flow running from local cops (including city police, sheriff's deputies, constables, and troopers) to the federal Border Patrol and ICE. DPS set itself up for this role beginning in 2005,"

"i
n 2009 Steve McCraw, a retired FBI agent and Governor Perry's homeland security adviser, was appointed DPS director. He soon turned DPS into a highly militarized police force, obsessed with crime on the border"

"In the first 100 days after Trump took office, according to ICE, arrests of undocumented immigrants were up 38% from the same period a year earlier. The biggest jump involved people with no criminal record. Their arrest rate rose 156%. From the end of January to the end of April, ICE arrested almost 11,000 people whose only mark on their record was an immigration violation (those are administrative matters, not crimes). The noncriminals constituted a quarter of all immigrants detained. That percentage was three times higher than the rate of immigrants detained during the last year of the Obama administration – 8% – who had no criminal records."

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news...tion-pipeline/

I think you have the Obama and the Trump admins mixed up!

Old 03-14-2018, 06:11 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Quote:
Pfffft...half the Hispanics you bump into over there can’t speak a lick of English.
Half the legal American and many American born in those far southern Texas town can't speak a lick of English either.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:

Good news with this.

Texas still has them, but it remains to be seen what they will do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies