Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 01:20 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
What are you talking about?

Hawkings work has done more to unify general relativity and quantum physics than any other person alive. Stop spouting nonsense, you clearly have no idea how science actually occurs.
uhh. no.

There is no theory that unifies Quantum Physics with that of General Relativity.

The rest is ad hominem fallacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 01:22 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,218,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
uhh. no.

There is no theory that unifies Quantum Physics with that of General Relativity.

She said it, everyone take a drink!

Old 03-14-2018, 01:22 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
uhh. no.

ROFLMAO. I never said it unified it, would you like a chance to read it again?

I said he did more to unify it. His work with entropy and black holes, had implications for the quantum world that are still being used as the basis of research all around the world.

Clear evidence that you cannot understand even the beginnings of his work let alone know what a theory actually is...psst they are never "proven".

Old 03-14-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

I said he did more to unify it..
That's an opinion. Give us some facts if you think what I said was wrong.

"Doing more to achieve nothing?" LAWL

There are 1000s of people working in advanced physics around the world. Aside from his physical disabilities, Hawkings has done nothing more note worthy than all the others, especially the well known ones.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:27 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Why don't you tell us what you think Hawking achieved without using the Internet to search. I thought so.

Most of Hawking's theories, including the one he worked on for much of his life, have been proved wrong.
You thought so? The use of "I thought so" is a poke at my intelligence which is an ad hominem fallacy. I love when you use "I thought so". It means you have no argument as usual.

I never claimed to know anything about him. I asked why it was baseless. Can you show us why his theories have been proved wrong without using the internet?

Old 03-14-2018, 01:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Easy to spot the trump cult weighing in on the demise of Stephan Hawking, basically an attitude of lets hate the man.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
You thought so? The use of "I thought so" is a poke at my intelligence which is an ad hominem fallacy. I love when you use "I thought so". It means you have no argument as usual.

I never claimed to know anything about him. I asked why it was baseless. Can you show us why his theories have been proved wrong without using the internet?
So you have nothing. I thought so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Easy to spot the trump cult weighing in on the demise of Stephan Hawking, basically an attitude of lets hate the man.
We aren't the ones making personal attacks, like "trump cult" because they don't like someone else's opinion.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
It is their denial of anything science.

I found Hawking interesting. I am no physicist but I love the theories these people present.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:32 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Why don't you tell us what you think Hawking achieved without using the Internet to search. I thought so.
Outside of popularizing and making many complicated theoretical physics concepts known to the general public (an enormous accomplishment on its own) through writing "A Brief History of Time", "Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays", "The Universe in a Nutshell", "On The Shoulders of Giants", and "God Created the Integers: The Mathematical Breakthroughs That Changed History":
  • Theorized How Black Holes Emit Information, and co-discovered the four laws of black hole mechanics - see Hawking Radiation (named after...guess who???), which was an enormous discovery.
  • Proposed that the Singularity was an essential element of the Big Bang Theory (a generally accepted idea now) - see Penrose–Hawking singularity theorems, which attempt to answer when gravitation produces singularities, central to this work.
  • Proposed a theory of “top-down cosmology”
  • Contributed to the theory of cosmic inflation - He was one of the first to calculate quantum fluctuations which were created during cosmic inflation, and helped show how those fluctuations might give rise to the spread of galaxies in the universe.

Quote:
Most of Hawking's theories, including the one he worked on for much of his life, have been proved wrong.
Not quite accurate. Many of his thoughts may remain unproven, but that doesn't make them "proved wrong". Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I question whether you're very familiar with Hawking's writings or thoughts.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 03-14-2018 at 01:54 PM..

Old 03-14-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Outside of popularizing and making many complicated theoretical physics concepts known to the general public (an enormous accomplishment on its own) through writing "A Brief History of Time", B"lack Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays", "The Universe in a Nutshell", "On The Shoulders of Giants", and "God Created the Integers: The Mathematical Breakthroughs That Changed History":
  • Theorized How Black Holes Emit Information, and co-discovered the four laws of black hole mechanics - see Hawking Radiation (named after...guess who???), which was an enormous discovery.
  • Proposed That the Singularity Was an Essential Element of the Big Bang Theory (a generally accepted idea now) - see Penrose–Hawking singularity theorems, which attempt to answer when gravitation produces singularities.
  • Proposed a theory of “top-down cosmology”
  • Contributed to the theory of cosmic inflation - Hawking was one of the first to calculate quantum fluctuations that were created during cosmic inflation and to show how they might give rise to the spread of galaxies in the universe.

Not quite accurate. Many of his thoughts may remain unproven, but that doesn't make them "proved wrong". Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I question whether you're very familiar with Hawking's writings or thoughts.
What HockeyMac said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies