Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 01:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

....however, it's early. So...

He's said a few stupid things, but that's to be expected from someone as garrulous as he is.

Moreover, I take no issue with him pulling outta the TPP. Dems should've told Obama to drop it. Hopefully, Trump will find a way to wiggle out of some of these other trade agreements.

His speech to the CEO's was actually a good one...if he means it. Again, this is something that a Democratic president should've said to CEO's years ago. Funny thing is, if Obama or Clinton had sat CEO's down and threatened them this way, Republicans would've had a fit. But right now, they're scared to say anything in the face of Trump's populism.

The other things that Trump has done or said are just grandstanding. Federal employment freeze? Meh...bloviating. Obama did that already. Besides, if you're exempting the Pentagon, it's a waste of time.

That Mexico City abortion thing? Meaningless. Next Dem president will reverse it.

Cutting regulations by 75%? Yeah...OK.

More tax cuts? The Republican cure for cancer and Ebola. Unless he can figure out how to fill that revenue hole (and don't tell me that it'll be filled with all the jobs he'll create...I'm not falling for that one), I'm not paying that any attention. Not worth bothering with.

So overall, I'm giving him a passing grade as I see what the overall tone of his administration will be. And I'll avoid being overly critical until then.

All these stupid controversies about crowd sizes, false media, his son Barron, his tax returns, etc...not worth my time. Folks should just drop it.

What DOES interest me however is this: forget the Democrats! Trump is charting a course that is set to collide big time with the orthodoxy of his party. The TPP pullout hasn't raised much rancor in Republican circles for all to hear, but there's no doubt that certain Repubs are seething.

Of course, I'm getting a good laugh at Republican voters pretending as if they've been against these free trade agreements all along. We all know that it total bullshucks and a complete canard. As this link I'm about to post points out, Republicans have been in the forefront of these agreements right from the beginning...and this most certainly sets up for an interesting showdown between Trump and the corporate Republicans in Congress ....which is almost EVERY Republican in Washington. Love it or hate it, that's the truth.

Anyway, I'm placing my bets with Mr Trump in the battle.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...2e5a8#comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 01:34 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
President Trump is looking very presidential and he conducts the peoples business. Very transparent unlike the last administration. Signing papers and bringing people into the oval office that have never been there.

Winning the hearts and minds of the people and uniting them isn't easy but he is getting it done as expected. It takes time.

Last edited by phma; 01-24-2017 at 01:49 PM..

Old 01-24-2017, 02:12 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
....however, it's early. So...

He's said a few stupid things, but that's to be expected from someone as garrulous as he is.
Agree.

Quote:
Moreover, I take no issue with him pulling outta the TPP. Dems should've told Obama to drop it. Hopefully, Trump will find a way to wiggle out of some of these other trade agreements.
Agree.

Quote:
His speech to the CEO's was actually a good one...if he means it. Again, this is something that a Democratic president should've said to CEO's years ago. Funny thing is, if Obama or Clinton had sat CEO's down and threatened them this way, Republicans would've had a fit. But right now, they're scared to say anything in the face of Trump's populism.
agree.

Quote:
The other things that Trump has done or said are just grandstanding. Federal employment freeze? Meh...bloviating. Obama did that already. Besides, if you're exempting the Pentagon, it's a waste of time.
agree.

Quote:
Cutting regulations by 75%? Yeah...OK.
This would be a wonderful move.

Quote:
All these stupid controversies about crowd sizes, false media, his son Barron, his tax returns, etc...not worth my time. Folks should just drop it.
Agree.

There are lots of things I don't agree with him on, but these are very good ideas:

- making other nations pay us for our foreign military bases.

- Getting realistic about global warming

- Drastically reducing government regulations

- Getting government out of the way so businesses can expand and create jobs. Job creation is penicillin for our economy and the lives of our working class.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:15 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
I agree with TC on all points. Not much of a fan of him with going for the Pipeline thing, but other than that...

Old 01-24-2017, 02:16 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
President Trump is looking very presidential and he conducts the peoples business. Very transparent unlike the last administration. Signing papers and bringing people into the oval office that have never been there.

Winning the hearts and minds of the people and uniting them isn't easy but he is getting it done as expected. It takes time.

About as transparent as a lump of coal: Trump admin orders EPA contract freeze and media blackout

And oh, those deone strikes the whiners continually castigated Obama over? They continue!

WHERE's that outrage now? Hiding in that thing on Donny's head?

Old 01-24-2017, 02:22 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post

That is actually the one thing he is DEFINITELY not doing.

I am not entirely against any of the actual things he's done so far because most of them are either things I would think any president might have chosen to do and/or things that are irrelevant, like the Mexico City Policy reinstatement. That one is a R/D game of ping pong.

If he could ACT more presidential (quit going on about crowds, his campaign, his inaugural, how great he is, harping on stuff like ratings and SNL on Twitter), I could find him tolerable.

I really cannot stand him, so this is saying a lot, btw.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
About as transparent as a lump of coal: Trump admin orders EPA contract freeze and media blackout
You obviously didn't even read the article you linked to.

Try again.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:24 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

And oh, those deone strikes the whiners continually castigated Obama over? They continue!

WHERE's that outrage now? Hiding in that thing on Donny's head?
I cannot tell how much of this is grandstanding and how much is serious.

I don't like some of these loony ideas, like reducing regulations so dramatically and pretending there is no such thing as climate change and that LGBT citizens should not be treated equally, but I hope the White House pages return for those issues.

Not holding my breath, because I know there's a larger game going on in the background.

Con Men gotta con.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I don't like some of these loony ideas, like reducing regulations so dramatically and pretending there is no such thing as climate change and that LGBT citizens should not be treated equally, but I hope the White House pages return for those issues.
Who is pretending that "there is no such thing as climate change?"

And when has Trump proposed that "LGBT citizens should not be treated equally?"

Old 01-24-2017, 02:28 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
I especially like this:
Trump makes his priorities clearer, and deportation of young immigrants has fallen off the list - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies