Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Am I surprised that he made them up? Of course not.
I'm not even surprised that he admitted it. Just part and parcel of his need to always appear as if he somehow has gotten the upper hand.

Great way to treat an ally.

"In private remarks at a fundraiser, President Trump bragged he made up facts in a meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau by insisting that the United States runs a trade deficit with its northern neighbor without knowing whether that was true, The Washington Post reported."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...eau/427292002/

"But a different story is told in the recently released 2018 White House "Economic Report of the President" — an annual document prepared by Trump's own team which bears his signature and contradicts a number of trade statements and policies already articulated by him.

One example involves the supposed trade deficit with Canada. Trump keeps insisting it exists, but the document he signed states Canada is among the few countries in the world with whom the U.S. runs a surplus.

The document states: "The United States ran a trade surplus of $2.6 billion with Canada on a balance-of-payments basis.""

Trump says he made up facts about trade deficit in meeting with Trudeau - Politics - CBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 09:03 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Trump is a lying moron.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:10 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Whether he knew it or not, he was partially right.. technically we do run a goods deficit with Canada. We have a services surplus.

More importantly, I think the left still doesn't quite understand Trump's tactics/style. He's a businessman at heart, and as such, is always trying to get a better deal. You don't walk into a car dealership and tell them you will pay MSRP, you tell them you are not paying a penny over invoice (even though you are technically lying to them). In the end, you will likely settle on a price somewhere in the middle.

It's all about persuasion, and persuasion isn't always technically accurate.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:12 AM

542 posts, read 448,384 times
Default Trump brags about lying to Trudeau

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...justin-trudeau

President Trump boasted in a fundraising speech Wednesday that he made up information in a meeting with the leader of a top U.S. ally, saying he insisted to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the United States runs a trade deficit with its neighbor to the north without knowing whether that was true.

“Trudeau came to see me. He’s a good guy, Justin. He said, ‘No, no, we have no trade deficit with you, we have none. Donald, please,’ ” Trump said, mimicking Trudeau, according to audio of the private event in Missouri obtained by The Washington Post. “Nice guy, good-looking guy, comes in — ‘Donald, we have no trade deficit.’ He’s very proud because everybody else, you know, we’re getting killed.

“... So, he’s proud. I said, ‘Wrong, Justin, you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ You know why? Because we’re so stupid. … And I thought they were smart. I said, ‘You’re wrong, Justin.’ He said, ‘Nope, we have no trade deficit.’ I said, ‘Well, in that case, I feel differently,’ I said, ‘but I don’t believe it.’ I sent one of our guys out, his guy, my guy, they went out, I said, ‘Check, because I can’t believe it.’

Trump lives in a fact-free zone and what with his obsession with looks.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 03-15-2018 at 09:49 AM..

Old 03-15-2018, 09:12 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Well, if he's trying to look like the biggest horse's behind on the planet, then I'll give him full credit for succeeding.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:16 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Admitting he lies to leaders of foreign countries is going to serve is SO well when he goes to Korea. What an idiot!

Old 03-15-2018, 09:16 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Whether he knew it or not, he was partially right.. technically we do run a goods deficit with Canada. We have a services surplus.

More importantly, I think the left still doesn't quite understand Trump's tactics/style. He's a businessman at heart, and as such, is always trying to get a better deal. You don't walk into a car dealership and tell them you will pay MSRP, you tell them you are not paying a penny over invoice (even though you are technically lying to them). In the end, you will likely settle on a price somewhere in the middle.

????

I am SHOCKED that anyone would think lying to another World Leader is a negotiating technique that works well in business.

The implication is that Trudeau and staff aren't prepared for the meeting, don't know what they are talking about and so in awe of Trump they will fall for his lies.

NO NO NO.

Trump has been using the same line for years now and Trudeau has used the facts on hand to clarify and stand his ground.

Trump gained nothing by lying and furthermore made himself a fool about bragging about it.

No Trudeau won't call him out and shame him. Trudeau has no interest or need to belittle Trump. Trudeau isn't a five year old.

Trudeau got the exemption -- he won -- Trump hasn't gained anything with his great negotiating techniques.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:18 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post

Partially right?

That's what you want him to bring to the table -- manipulation of facts and twisting the truth and HOPE the other guy is as uninformed as Trump is?

Wow -- new lows every day......

Old 03-15-2018, 09:18 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Guys you just don't understand Trump' s style! He acts like an idiot on purpose because something something 4 dimensional chess.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:24 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Admitting he lies to leaders of foreign countries is going to serve is SO well when he goes to Korea. What an idiot!
Admitting it would have been bad enough, but he was bragging about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies