Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 11:16 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Um...our Country just did that not two years ago. Oust ed Russian diplomats from their town and country digs on the American s dime - for misbehavin during our election.
That was under the previous administration, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 11:16 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Treasury Secretary Mnuchin announced financial sanctions this morning against the Russian individuals and companies that Robert Mueller indicted last month. Mnuchin also announced a separate set of sanctions against two Russian spy agencies.

So, basically, the administration has finally acknowledged that there is merit to Mueller's investigation.

Trump administration sanctions Russian spies, trolls over U.S. election interference, cyber attacks

The Trump administration on Thursday imposed fresh financial sanctions on Russian government hackers and spy agencies to punish Moscow for interfering in the 2016 presidential election.

In all, the new sanctions target 19 people and five organizations. Many were indicted last month by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, who is investigating Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election and whether the Trump campaign coordinated with the Kremlin to sway the race’s outcome.

====

I am very glad to see some official action on this, although I would have liked to see the President himself announce this, as Teresa May did when she threw out the Russian diplomats this week.

But, I'll take what I can get.
I was just getting ready to post this! Thanks, Rosie.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Well, today's sanctions are a step in the right direction. As I said, I would have preferred to see the President announce this, and acknowledge the indictments, but as long as we have done something to let Russia know that this was not acceptable and to also protect the mid-term elections, I'm in a more optimistic frame of mind. I am glad to see the administration taking this first step.

And, of course, for those who keep saying that the entire Mueller investigation is nothing more than a "witch hunt" this proves once and for all that at least someone in the administration itself believes there is merit in Mueller's work. Enough merit to issue official U.S. sanctions against those indicted AND two Russian spy agencies.

Sometimes witch hunts catch real witches.
A lot of folks are saying they wish Trump himself would come out and say something. But of course he doesn't want to make his boyfriend Putie mad.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The Justice Department appointed Robert S. Mueller III, a former F.B.I. director, as special counsel to oversee the investigation into ties between President Trump’s campaign and Russian officials.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/u...stigation.html

So sanctions prove that?

No.
And you don't know that it doesn't. You'll just have to wait on Mueller's results like the rest of us. The important thing here is Trump can no longer say his investigation is a witch hunt.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:24 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
I guess that the Trump cultists will have to backpedal now that their Great Leader has been forced to acknowledge that Russia has indeed attempted to interfere with our election process.

Don't kid yourself about the significance of this; the election meddling was purely and simply an act of cyber warfare. In many ways this attack was more damaging that flying a couple of planes into two office towers in New York City. Why? Because it attacks and undermines the very heart of our democratic process which in the end is our greatest protection against foreign aggression.

Kudos to Trump for finally stepping up to the plate. Obviously he was pushed into a corner where he had no choice. Maybe Putin had served his purpose and it was time to throw him under the bus (most likely) or Trump has finally understood what a threat this Russian thug is to our national security (much less likely).

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 03-15-2018 at 11:37 AM..

Old 03-15-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's right there in the article:
...........imposed fresh financial sanctions on Russian government hackers and spy agencies to punish Moscow for interfering in the 2016 presidential election, and for a cyberattack against Ukraine and other countries last year.........

And from that you determined that Muellar's investigation into collusion between Trump and Russia has merit?

You're groping.
My wife got a speeding ticket today. So that proves she cheated on me three years ago.
You're forgetting that Mueller was charged with three things to investigate:

--The Russian government's efforts to interfere in the election

--Any links or co-ordination between Russia and Trump campaign-linked individuals

--Any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation

---

So, yes, the Treasury Department's sanctions against the Russian individuals and companies that the Grand Jury indicted as a result of Mueller's investigation is an acknowledgement that there is merit in Mueller's work.

Why would the Treasury Department have issued sanctions against the Russian individuals and companies the Grand Jury indicted as a result of Mueller's investigation? If there is no merit, there would be no sanctions issued against those indicted in Russia.

Regarding your example of your wife's speeding ticket, cheating on you is not a crime, so your attempt to use that as an analogy to this investigation and the sanctions today is a specious argument.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:35 AM

For those who prefer to get their news from Fox, here's what they're reporting:

Trump administration sanctions Russians for interfering in 2016 elections | Fox News

The Trump administration on Thursday sanctioned 19 Russian individuals and five Russian entities for allegedly interfering in the 2016 election and engaging in cyber-attacks.

The announcement was made by the Department of the Treasury and includes the 13 Russians who were recently indicted in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s probe.

The accusations and accompanying sanctions are some of the strongest actions to date by the administration to punish Russia for hacking and other efforts to sow discord in the American democracy.

---

Old 03-15-2018, 11:39 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
For those who prefer to get their news from Fox, here's what they're reporting:

Trump administration sanctions Russians for interfering in 2016 elections | Fox News

The Trump administration on Thursday sanctioned 19 Russian individuals and five Russian entities for allegedly interfering in the 2016 election and engaging in cyber-attacks.

The announcement was made by the Department of the Treasury and includes the 13 Russians who were recently indicted in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s probe.

---
Good find Rosie. It's always a wonderment to uncover a few gems of truth within the highly corrupt propaganda that flows from FOX "News". This is when you know they are really forced into a corner.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:44 AM

Aside from the sanctions against the Russians and Russian companies that Mueller has obtained indictments on in his investigation for interference in the election, there are some interesting other things that the Treasury Department, and by extension, the administration is acknowledging today.

In particular, Russian attempts to disable the American electricity grid and other critical infrastructure is worrisome to me.

So, I'm glad to see the administration publicly acknowledging that they are concerned about that and taking steps to counter it (although I didn't see anything in today's sanctions directed specifically at that -- perhaps they'll issue more sanctions in the future?)

And, it is also good to see the administration joining with the UK and France in condemning the Russian nerve gas incidents in the UK. I give the President a thumbs up for issuing that joint statement today in addition to the sanctions.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:52 AM

Small correction to my last post. The Joint Statement issued today condemning Russia for the nerve-gas attacks came from the UK, US, France and Germany. As I said, a thumbs up to the President for joining our allies in this. So, today's events make me feel much more optimistic.

U.S., France and Germany join Britain in saying Russia likely responsible for chemical attack against former spy

The leaders of the United States, France and Germany joined with Great Britain to sign a statement condemning Russia’s use of a deadly nerve gas to poison a former Russian spy on British soil, saying the attack “threatens the security of us all.”

“This use of a military-grade nerve agent, of a type developed by Russia, constitutes the first offensive use of a nerve agent in Europe since the Second World War,” the joint statement issued Thursday said. “It is an assault on U.K. sovereignty and any such use by a state party is a clear violation of the Chemical Weapons Convention and a breach of international law. It threatens the security of us all.”

The statement of solidarity by the four allies – signed by Donald Trump, Theresa May, Emmanuel Macron and Angela Merkel – squarely blamed Russia for the March 4 attack on Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in Salisbury, who remain hospitalized in critical condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies